Matt Kemp and Andre Ethier are making noise on the field, but the biggest Dodger story continues to be Major League Baseball's takeover of the club's operations. Here's the latest from the City of Angels...
- Tom Schieffer says the Dodgers have made their May payroll, reports Dylan Hernandez of the L.A. Times. Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports adds the detail that the Dodgers made payroll without the assistance of Major League Baseball. (both Twitter links)
- Team vice chairman Steve Soboroff warns baseball's other owners that they could end up subsidizing the Dodgers, reports Bill Shaikin of the L.A. Times. "If I'm an owner in Kansas City or Washington, the last thing I want to do is to put $1 million a month into the Dodgers when there's $3 billion sitting in the bank," Soboroff said. The other owners appear unified behind Selig, however, and Shaikin hears from a sports business consultant that MLB would repay owners for any money spent to cover the Dodgers' costs.
- If the Dodgers aren't allowed to add payroll while under MLB's stewardship, ESPN.com's Jason Churchill notes that of the team's top prospects, only Trayvon Robinson may be able to provide immediate help down the stretch. Robinson, a 10th-round pick in the 2005 amateur draft, posted a .300/.404/.438 line at Double-A Chattanooga in 2010 and has a 1.023 OPS through 78 Triple-A plate appearances this season. The 23-year-old L.A. native plays left field and is a switch-hitter, but one scout tells Churchill that Robinson doesn't yet have everyday skills.
- Magic Johnson denied any interest in buying the Dodgers last fall, but in a recent interview with Steve Covino and Rich Davis of SiriusXM Radio (and passed on by Steve Dilbeck of the L.A. Times), the Lakers icon left the door open for joining a potential new ownership group. "You know, people here in L.A. want me to make a run for the Dodgers," Johnson said. "I will sit back and see what happens, and if somebody approaches me and wants a partner or wants me to be involved, I'll take a look at it. 'Cause I love baseball. And I love the Dodgers.’’
- Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe notes that Red Sox president Larry Lucchino's name "comes up a lot in the commissioner's office" as someone who can help solve the Dodgers' ownership problems. Lucchino was linked to the Dodgers a few years ago amidst rumors of animosity between he and Theo Epstein, but the two have apparently patched things up. Abraham also reminds Boston fans that Frank McCourt attempted to buy the Red Sox in 2001.
- Frank McCourt's issues have made a former embattled NL West owner, John Moores, look better in comparison, writes Tom Krasovic of West Coast Bias.
Derek Lowe Clears Waivers Cubs Claim Eduardo Sanchez Mets Sign David Aardsma Cubs To Designate Michael Bowden For Assignment Blue Jays Claim Thad Weber Angels Claim Chris Nelson Yankees Acquire Reid Brignac Marlins Designate Jon Rauch For Assignment Dodgers To Sign Jonathan Sanchez Phillies Sign Carlos Zambrano Rays Sign Cory Wade Mets To Sign Rick Ankiel
Current Free Agents 2014 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings 2014 MLB Free Agents 2015 MLB Free Agents 2013 Draft Order Transaction Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle MLBTR Forums Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Draft Notes: Astros, Appel, Gray, Cubs, Harvey Minor Moves: Dustin Martin, Josh Horton West Links: Dodgers, Ethier, Norberto, Mariners Derek Lowe Clears Waivers NL Central Links: Garcia, Carpenter, Garza Red Sox, Jacoby Ellsbury Haven't Talked Extension Yankees Notes: Kuroda, Bullpen, Adams Poll: The Next 2012 First-Rounder To Be Called Up Orioles To Promote Kevin Gausman Quick Hits: White Sox, Reds, Red Sox, Phillies NL East Notes: Phillies, Lee, Nationals, Mets Commenting Policy AL East Notes: Yankees, Red Sox, Ellsbury Blue Jays Release Miguel Batista Minor Moves: Cotts, Boyer, Barton
Avoiding The Qualifying Offer Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors