The regular season is upon us at last! Let's take a look back at the week that was:
- A pair of notable extensions were signed this week in the NL West. The Dodgers agreed to a three-year extension with Chad Billingsley worth $35MM, while the Giants tacked on an additional year and another $6MM to Freddy Sanchez's deal.
- On the opposite coast, the Rays signed Wade Davis to a team-friendly four-year deal that guarantees the young righty $12.6MM and comes with three club options.
- C.J. Wilson revealed that the Rangers made him a multiyear offer but the proposition came too late in the offseason for a deal to materialize.
- Giants GM Brian Sabean doesn't expect extension discussions with Tim Lincecum to take place during the season.
- Ichiro Suzuki hinted at wanting to continue his career with the Mariners beyond his current contract.
- The Blue Jays declined their 2012-2014 options on Aaron Hill. While the team forfeited the rights to his $10MM option in 2014, they can still exercise his 2012-2013 options after the season if they choose.
- Several trades occured this week, starting with the Brewers' acquisition of troubled Nationals center fielder Nyjer Morgan. Washington received minor leaguer Cutter Dykstra in exchange.
- Toronto acquired Jayson Nix from the Indians in exchange for cash considerations.
- The Rockies acquired yet another utility-type player when they traded for Josh Fields. Colorado will send a player to be named later or cash to Pittsburgh in exchange.
- The Royals acquired Matt Treanor from Texas for cash considerations, and designated 26-year-old catcher Lucas May for assignment in a corresponding move.
- The Twins made a move to retain their Rule 5 pick, Scott Diamond, by sending hard-throwing righty Billy Bullock to Atlanta. It's a curious move, as Diamond could've been retained for nothing by keeping him on the 25-man roster.
- A lot of players were handed their walking papers as well. Luis Castillo was released from Philadelphia (as was Matt Anderson), Carlos Silva was released from the Cubs, the Giants released Jeff Suppan, the Yankees released Ronnie Belliard. Belliard later signed with the Phillies.
- Several more players were designated for assignment; the Giants DFA'ed Travis Ishikawa, the Yankees DFA'ed Romulo Sanchez, the Astros plan to designate Ryan Rowland-Smith, the Mets designated Manny Acosta, and the Dodgers designated a pair of players for assignment. For the rest of the week's minor moves, check MLBTR's Transaction Tracker or use our Transactions tag.
- It seems like every week another handful of players is filing their retirement papers. This week, we saw Jermaine Dye officially retire and Randy Winn join him.
Yankees To Sign Carlos Beltran Red Sox To Re-Sign Mike Napoli Nationals To Sign Nate McLouth Rangers To Sign J.P. Arencibia Astros To Sign Scott Feldman Mets To Sign Curtis Granderson Mariners To Sign Robinson Cano Yankees To Re-Sign Hiroki Kuroda Orioles To Sign Francisco Peguero Orioles To Sign Ryan Webb Marlins To Sign Rafael Furcal White Sox To Sign Ronald Belisario Dodgers Re-Sign Brian Wilson Red Sox To Sign Edward Mujica Royals Acquire Norichika Aoki Yankees To Sign Kelly Johnson Cubs Sign Wesley Wright White Sox Re-Sign Paul Konerko Rockies To Sign Justin Morneau Yankees Agree To Sign Jacoby Ellsbury Marlins Sign Jarrod Saltalamacchia Astros Acquire Dexter Fowler Padres, A's Swap Seth Smith For Luke Gregerson A's Acquire Craig Gentry, Josh Lindblom Rays Extend Ryan Hanigan Rays Acquire Ryan Hanigan Tigers Sign Joe Nathan Red Sox Sign A.J. Pierzynski Athletics Acquire Jim Johnson For Jemile Weeks
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Minor Moves: Thames, Tekotte, McDade Yankees To Sign Carlos Beltran Red Sox To Re-Sign Mike Napoli Indians Notes: Albers, Carson, Antonetti Market Reset: 2013-14 Free Agent Spending To Date Orioles Notes: Free Agents, Johnson, Wolf, Feldman Phillies Shopping Jonathan Papelbon Reaction & Analysis Of Robinson Cano's Contract Nationals To Sign Nate McLouth Marlins Exploring Morrison Trades; Interested In Garrett Jones Yankees Sign Kelly Johnson Scott Feldman On Signing With Astros Marlins To Sign Rafael Furcal Astros Sign Scott Feldman Marlins Nearing Deal With Garrett Jones
Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors