The regular season is upon us at last! Let's take a look back at the week that was:
- A pair of notable extensions were signed this week in the NL West. The Dodgers agreed to a three-year extension with Chad Billingsley worth $35MM, while the Giants tacked on an additional year and another $6MM to Freddy Sanchez's deal.
- On the opposite coast, the Rays signed Wade Davis to a team-friendly four-year deal that guarantees the young righty $12.6MM and comes with three club options.
- C.J. Wilson revealed that the Rangers made him a multiyear offer but the proposition came too late in the offseason for a deal to materialize.
- Giants GM Brian Sabean doesn't expect extension discussions with Tim Lincecum to take place during the season.
- Ichiro Suzuki hinted at wanting to continue his career with the Mariners beyond his current contract.
- The Blue Jays declined their 2012-2014 options on Aaron Hill. While the team forfeited the rights to his $10MM option in 2014, they can still exercise his 2012-2013 options after the season if they choose.
- Several trades occured this week, starting with the Brewers' acquisition of troubled Nationals center fielder Nyjer Morgan. Washington received minor leaguer Cutter Dykstra in exchange.
- Toronto acquired Jayson Nix from the Indians in exchange for cash considerations.
- The Rockies acquired yet another utility-type player when they traded for Josh Fields. Colorado will send a player to be named later or cash to Pittsburgh in exchange.
- The Royals acquired Matt Treanor from Texas for cash considerations, and designated 26-year-old catcher Lucas May for assignment in a corresponding move.
- The Twins made a move to retain their Rule 5 pick, Scott Diamond, by sending hard-throwing righty Billy Bullock to Atlanta. It's a curious move, as Diamond could've been retained for nothing by keeping him on the 25-man roster.
- A lot of players were handed their walking papers as well. Luis Castillo was released from Philadelphia (as was Matt Anderson), Carlos Silva was released from the Cubs, the Giants released Jeff Suppan, the Yankees released Ronnie Belliard. Belliard later signed with the Phillies.
- Several more players were designated for assignment; the Giants DFA'ed Travis Ishikawa, the Yankees DFA'ed Romulo Sanchez, the Astros plan to designate Ryan Rowland-Smith, the Mets designated Manny Acosta, and the Dodgers designated a pair of players for assignment. For the rest of the week's minor moves, check MLBTR's Transaction Tracker or use our Transactions tag.
- It seems like every week another handful of players is filing their retirement papers. This week, we saw Jermaine Dye officially retire and Randy Winn join him.
Diamondbacks To Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Quick Hits: Perez, Pineda, Mariners, Ramirez, A's Minor Moves: Wil Ledezma Diamondbacks To Sign Oliver Perez Ervin Santana Seeks To Sign One-Year Deal Before Opening Day NL Central Notes: Carpenter, Neshek, Phillips, Cubs Diamondbacks, Oliver Perez Nearing Multi-Year Deal Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Padres Claim Alex Castellanos Luke Hochevar To Undergo Tommy John Surgery Royals Release Brad Penny Ervin Santana's Representation Currently Unsettled AL Central Notes: Masterson, De Aza, Santana, Tigers NL West Notes: Jobe, Maybin, Headley, Betancourt 2013-14 Article XX(B) Free Agents Out Of Options Players: NL West
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors