Time for our weekly look back at the highlights here on MLBTR:
- After months of hearing about it, we finally saw the Red Sox sign Adrian Gonzalez to an extension. Boston's newest slugger will receive $154MM guaranteed over a seven year span. Gonzo can block trades to two teams, and acquiring teams aren't allowed to flip him to the Yankees. Here's some media reactions to Gonzalez's deal.
- Elsewhere in Boston, Daisuke Matsuzaka's tumultuous start has led some fans to call for a change. The Red Sox are unlikely to be trading or releasing Dice-K anytime soon, though. Boston's patience is dwindling, however, and they could eventually look to swap him for another bad contract.
- The Rangers are expected to sign Leonys Martin for a bonus in the $15MM range soon. Martin, a Cuban outfielder, has been labeled an "elite prospect" by ESPN's Jorge Arangure Jr. and features plus speed and a good arm in the outfield.
- The Mets haven't gotten what they were hoping for out of Brad Emaus when they tabbed the Rule 5 Draft pick their Opening Day second baseman. Still, the club isn't ready to give up on Emaus yet, and while Daniel Murphy has been getting more playing time lately, Terry Collins says the Mets will give Emaus the chance to develop into an everyday player.
- A few potential trade scenarios involving middle infield help could be beginning to surface. The Brewers are looking outside their organization for depth at the shortstop position, and the Twins may prioritize middle infield help over bullpen help after an injury to Tsuyoshi Nishioka and Alexi Casilla's struggles. Kevin Slowey's name has been the subject of trade talks in recent months, but he's currently on the DL.
- ESPN's Buster Olney took a look at the bullpen market and suggested that unless Heath Bell takes a huge discount to stay in San Diego, the Padres will deal him. Olney names the White Sox as the early favorites for Bell. He names Francisco Rodriguez, Jonathan Broxton, the Blue Jays' relievers, and the Rays' relievers as other trade candidates.
- The Blue Jays designated David Purcey for assigment early this week, and expect to trade the left-hander. The Astros are one team that has interest in the 28-year-old southpaw.
- Michael Young says that a trade is "the furthest thing from [his] mind" at the moment. He's completely committed to the Rangers. The Dodgers recently checked in on Young following a broken thumb for Rafael Furcal.
- Furcal was hot-headed after that injury, even hinting at retirement. That all proved to be emotional frustration, though, as Furcal's agent debunked that rumor the next day.
- Carlos Delgado, on the other hand, did officially retire this week. The slugger will finish his career with a .280/.383/.546 line and 473 home runs.
- The Cubs signed Doug Davis to a minor league deal that will pay him the prorated portion of a $900K base salary. Davis, signed as depth following injuries to Randy Wells and Andrew Cashner, will be able to earn another $2MM in incentives.
- Other minor moves around the league this week included the White Sox designating Lastings Milledge for assignment (he later cleared waivers), the Pirates DFA'ing Garrett Olsen, the Marlins signing Oscar Salazar, and the Blue Jays signing Dewayne Wise. For all of the week's minor moves, check out our Transactions tag or use MLBTR's Transaction Tracker.
Rockies Acquire Brett Anderson D-Backs Acquire Mark Trumbo In Three-Team Deal With Angels, White Sox White Sox Sign Felipe Paulino Roy Halladay To Retire Marlins To Sign Garrett Jones Astros Sign Chad Qualls Yankees To Sign Carlos Beltran Red Sox To Re-Sign Mike Napoli Nationals To Sign Nate McLouth Rangers To Sign J.P. Arencibia Astros Sign Scott Feldman Mets Sign Curtis Granderson Mariners To Sign Robinson Cano Yankees To Re-Sign Hiroki Kuroda Orioles To Sign Francisco Peguero Orioles To Sign Ryan Webb Marlins To Sign Rafael Furcal White Sox To Sign Ronald Belisario Dodgers Re-Sign Brian Wilson Red Sox To Sign Edward Mujica Royals Acquire Norichika Aoki Yankees To Sign Kelly Johnson Cubs Sign Wesley Wright White Sox Re-Sign Paul Konerko Rockies To Sign Justin Morneau Yankees Agree To Sign Jacoby Ellsbury Marlins Sign Jarrod Saltalamacchia Astros Acquire Dexter Fowler
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Overnight Notes: Masterson, Twins, Rockies, Myers AL East Links: Choo, Drew, Lester, Yankees Astros Interested In Joba Chamberlain Phillies Notes: Brown, Papelbon, Lee, Hamels Trumbo Trade Allows Angels To Pursue Pitching Quick Hits: Cubs, Blue Jays, Butler, Cruz, Ackley Tigers Still Successfully Adapting Long After Peralta Suspension David Price Rumors: Tuesday Latest On Matt Kemp Central Notes: Anderson, Cardinals, Ellis, Pirates East Notes: Tanaka, Red Sox, Mets, Braves, Chavez Corey Hart Could Make Decision Tonight East Notes: Mets, Burnett, Phillies, Benoit Central Notes: Arroyo, Twins, Cards, De Aza, Indians Nationals Interested In Justin Wilson, Jerry Blevins
Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors