Jon Heyman of SI.com hands out his midseason awards and Adrian Gonzalez, Justin Verlander, Jose Reyes and Roy Halladay are among those who take home some virtual hardware. Here’s Heyman’s latest from around the Major Leagues...
- Though Cubs manager Mike Quade appears to be safe, GM Jim Hendry doesn’t have assurances that he’ll keep his job, according to Heyman.
- The Mets will make Reyes an offer, but one GM believes it will cost more than the $142MM Carl Crawford obtained to sign the shortstop when he hits free agency after the season.
- I compared Reyes to Crawford on Monday and suggested that Reyes appears headed for a Crawford-like deal.
- The Phillies would like to re-sign Ryan Madson after the season, when the currently injured closer hits free agency.
- Huston Street could hit the trade market if the Rockies keep losing.
- The Dodgers are saying they don’t expect to consider trading players away for two weeks or more.
- Former Mets GM Omar Minaya is expected to join a different team in 2012.