The Mets made the first major deal of the summer last night, sending Francisco Rodriguez to Milwaukee. Here's the story, here are some related links and here's the latest from the rest of the division…
- Mets GM Sandy Alderson told Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com that we shouldn't draw conclusions about the Mets from their decision to trade their high-priced closer (Twitter links). Alderson says he simply wanted to trade Rodriguez before other relievers became available.
- Though Carlos Beltran has drawn lots of interest, the Mets aren't actively discussing him with other teams at this point, Alderson told Rubin (on Twitter). The Mets are looking for a "big-time" prospect for Beltran, according to ESPN.com's Buster Olney, who suggests the Mets could keep the outfielder if they aren't offered exactly what they want (Twitter links).
- The Braves would like to acquire an affordable right-handed bat without handing over top prospects, according to David O'Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
- Marlins president of baseball operations Larry Beinfest told Joe Frisaro of MLB.com that he doesn't expect to make major changes this month. “We never really consider ourselves sellers,” Beinfest said.
- At Closernews.com, Dan Mennella explains why Michael Dunn would be worth a look on your fantasy team if the Marlins decide to trade Leo Nunez.