With just a couple of weeks left in the season, there's plenty of talk giving us a picture of what can expect this winter, so let's run down the week's stories:
- Commissioner Bud Selig restated once again that he will retire after 2012, saying definitively that December 31 next year will be his last day. Selig also said he hopes to have expanded playoffs by 2012, but admitted that it's unlikely.
- Dodgers' GM Ned Colletti said there won't be any major changes to his club for 2012, and that his top priorities this offseason will be extending Matt Kemp and Andre Ethier. Clayton Kershaw is less of a priority because he's under team control for three more years.
- As of right now, however, Kemp's agent says the Dodgers have yet to approach him about a multiyear deal.
- Cardinals' GM John Mozeliak is confident he can re-sign Albert Pujols to play out the remainder of his career in St. Louis. Pujols doesn't want to think about the contract talks for now, and a surprise contender for his services was rumored when the Marlins' name came up.
- Lots of chatter this week about players extensions and new contracts this week, starting with a possible deal in the future for Miguel Montero and the Diamondbacks.
- Cameron Maybin and the Padres have mutual interest in hammering out an extension of their own, as Maybin is enjoying a breakout season in San Diego.
- Rafael Furcal hasn't been a member of the Cardinals for long, but both sides have interest in working out a deal for 2012.
- Because of their loyalty to this point, Chien-Ming Wang wants to pitch for tne Nationals once again come 2012.
- Carlos Pena and Aramis Ramirez hope to be manning the corner infield positions for the Cubs at Wrigley Field in 2012 and beyond.
- The Giants released both Aaron Rowand and Miguel Tejada after designating the pair for assignment in the previous week. Tejada plans to play again in 2012, but he'd probably be looking at a minor league deal after this season.
- Tejada's not the only one planning on returning; Jason Isringhausen is also intent on playing again in 2012, but unlike Tejada, Izzy's had a pretty solid rebound season.
- Both Mike Cameron and Hideki Okajima are pondering retirement following the 2011 campaign.
- As usual, the week consisted of many minor transactions such as waiver claims, minor league releases, etc. You can follow all of these transactions on Twitter with @mlbtrtrans, by clicking our Transactions tag, or using MLBTR's Transaction Tracker.
Yankees To Sign Carlos Beltran Red Sox To Re-Sign Mike Napoli Nationals To Sign Nate McLouth Rangers To Sign J.P. Arencibia Astros To Sign Scott Feldman Mets To Sign Curtis Granderson Mariners To Sign Robinson Cano Yankees To Re-Sign Hiroki Kuroda Orioles To Sign Francisco Peguero Orioles To Sign Ryan Webb Marlins To Sign Rafael Furcal White Sox To Sign Ronald Belisario Dodgers Re-Sign Brian Wilson Red Sox To Sign Edward Mujica Royals Acquire Norichika Aoki Yankees To Sign Kelly Johnson Cubs Sign Wesley Wright White Sox Re-Sign Paul Konerko Rockies To Sign Justin Morneau Yankees Agree To Sign Jacoby Ellsbury Marlins Sign Jarrod Saltalamacchia Astros Acquire Dexter Fowler Padres, A's Swap Seth Smith For Luke Gregerson A's Acquire Craig Gentry, Josh Lindblom Rays Extend Ryan Hanigan Rays Acquire Ryan Hanigan Tigers Sign Joe Nathan Red Sox Sign A.J. Pierzynski Athletics Acquire Jim Johnson For Jemile Weeks
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Quick Hits: Astros, Papelbon, Happ, Betancourt Central Notes: Phillips, Axford, Joba, Buck Yankees Notes: Infante, Price, Drew, Choo NL West Notes: Kemp, Veras, Crain, Padres Reaction & Analysis To Robinson Cano's Signing Red Sox Links: Mujica, Payroll, Drew Notes On Granderson, Beltran, Napoli Mariners To Sign Robinson Cano Minor Moves: Thames, Tekotte, McDade Yankees To Sign Carlos Beltran Red Sox To Re-Sign Mike Napoli Indians Notes: Albers, Carson, Antonetti Market Reset: 2013-14 Free Agent Spending To Date Orioles Notes: Free Agents, Johnson, Wolf, Feldman Phillies Shopping Jonathan Papelbon
Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors