Five years ago today, Anthony Reyes and the Cardinals beat Justin Verlander and the Tigers in Game One of the World Series. It was the first time in history that two rookies started Game One of the Fall Classic. Reyes allowed just two runs on four hits in eight innings, helping St. Louis to their first World Championship since 1982.
Here are this week's links, as the Cardinals try to win their second title in six seasons…
- Bleed Cubbie Blue provides Theo Epstein with a guide to the Cubs and their fans.
- The Best Sox Blog believes Epstein's departure is a good thing for the Red Sox.
- Gaslamp Ball says Jed Hoyer's defection to the Cubs makes the Padres look indecisive and cheap.
- MLB Reports interviewed Rockies' prospect Christian Friedrich.
- Lasorda's Lair explains why the Dodgers are better off after the McCourts' divorce settlement.
- Camden Depot tried to translate Yu Darvish's performance in Japan to MLB.
- Rankings Professor listed the top five landing spots for Prince Fielder.
- DRays Bay wonders if Josh Willingham is a fit for the Rays.
- BoSox Injection believes the Red Sox should trade Kevin Youkilis.
- South Side Sox looks at how the Chris Young trade led to series of bad decisions for the White Sox.
- Bay City Ball explains why the Giants should keep Jonathan Sanchez around for another year.
- Crashburn Alley says the Phillies should use a budget-conscious bullpen next year.
- Jays Journal wonders if David Ortiz is a realistic free agent option for the Blue Jays.
- Rant Sports Yankees makes a case for the Yankees letting CC Sabathia walk.
- Royals Authority projects the Royals' 2012 payroll.
- Wahoo's On First tries to temper expectations for Lonnie Chisenhall.
- Twin Cities Baseball sets the limit on a new contract for Michael Cuddyer.
- Puckett's Pond says the future of the Twins depends on the health of their top hitters.
- Replacement Level Baseball listed some potential valuable minor league free agents.
- Call to the Pen posted their American League and National League Players of the Year.
- Blog Red Machine discussed the art of the shutdown inning.
- Through The Fence Baseball wrote about second base becoming an offensive position.
- Baseball Reality Tour compiled a list of the top five hitters of the last 30 years.
If you have a suggestion for this feature, Mike can be reached here. One email per week, please.