On this date last year, the Rockies traded Miguel Olivo to the Blue Jays for cash. Toronto declined Olivo's $2.5MM option later than day, instead paying him a $500K buyout. After offering him arbitration later in the month, they received a supplemental first round pick when the backstop signed with the Mariners. The Jays essentially bought the 57th overall pick in this summer's draft for $500K, which they used on high school right-handed Kevin Comer.
Here are this week's links, the first official week of the offseason...
- Through The Fence Baseball chatted with Rockies owner Dick Monfort.
- Jays Prospects interviewed Steve Springer, a scout and performance coach with the Blue Jays.
- Sports of Boston analyzed Theo Epstein's legacy with the Red Sox.
- The Friarhood doesn't blame Jed Hoyer for moving on from the Padres.
- Wahoo's on First calls the Derek Lowe trade Chris Antonetti's best move since being promoted to Indians GM.
- Camden Depot compares the outlook of long-term contracts for Prince Fielder and Albert Pujols.
- Crashburn Alley prefers Jonathan Papelbon to Heath Bell.
- We Should Be GMs analyzed the value of Jimmy Rollins' defense.
- Cracked Bell Sports lists five things the Phillies should do this offseason.
- Capitol Avenue Club looked at Josh Willingham as a potential outfield target for the Braves.
- Why Won't The Tigers Hire Me? mused about the Tigers trading for Hanley Ramirez.
- Baseball Time In Arlington projected the Rangers' 2012 payroll.
- Royals Review looked at the financial implications of Alex Gordon's Gold Glove Award.
- Yankees Fans Unite believes the Yankees should target Matt Cain in a trade.
- House of the Bluebird made a case for the Blue Jays signing David Ortiz.
- Lookout Landing has some concerns about Grady Sizemore.
- Nats GM put together an offseason plan for the Nationals (part one, part two)
- McCovey Chronicles called the Javier Lopez and Jeremy Affeldt moves "a bizarre allocation of limited funds."
- South Side Sox wonders why the White Sox picked up Jason Frasor's option.
- Rant Sports Mets thinks the Mets should take a flier on Andrew Brackman.
- 1 Blue Jays Way lists some potential replacements for Kelly Johnson.
- Call to the Pen put together a list of the top free agents by position.
- Puckett's Pond lists the best free agent signings in Twins history.
- MLB Reports compiled a list of candidates to replace Bud Selig after he retires next offseason.
If you have a suggestion for this feature, Mike can be reached here. Only one email per week, please.