Here's a look back at what's been a busy week at MLBTR:
- Lots of news regarding the CBA and the future structure of baseball. The owners and players agreed on a new five-year deal that they hope to announce on Tuesday. The minimum salary will increase to $480K, the number of Super Twos will increase, and HGH testing will be implemented.
- Teams that sign the remaining Type A relievers won't be required to forfeit a draft pick, but the Phillies will still have to because they signed Jonathan Papelbon prior to this decision. Type B compensation will remain for now, however.
- MLB will also add two wild card teams, and Bud Selig is hopeful it'll happen in the 2012 season.
- MLB owners also approved the sale of the Astros to Jim Crane, and Selig confirmed the team will move to the AL West in 2013.
- Matt Kemp signed the seventh-largest contract in MLB history, agreeing to an eight-year, $160MM extension with the Dodgers.
- Cuban center fielder Yoenis Cespedes may be looking for more than $60MM on an eight-year deal as a free agent.
- The Diamondbacks and Aaron Hill agreed to a new two-year deal worth $11MM, but the team's extension talks with Miguel Montero are at an impasse.
- The Dodgers picked up Mark Ellis on a two-year deal worth $8.75MM and also signed Matt Treanor to a one-year deal worth $1MM.
- Ryan Doumit turned down a one-year offer from the Dodgers that was believed to be worth around $3MM, then signed roughly the same deal (one year, $3MM) with the Twins later in the week.
- Gerald Laird agreed to a second stint with the Tigers, signing a one-year deal worth $1MM to back up Alex Avila.
- The Phillies retained their backup backstop of the past few seasons, re-upping with Brian Schneider on a one-year deal worth $800K that includes $200K in incentives.
- The Rays are close to signing a backup catcher of their own, as they near a one-year deal with AL East veteran Jose Molina.
- Mark Kotsay will return to the Padres on a one-year deal worth $1.25MM. Kotsay spent the 2001-2003 seasons calling San Diego his home.
- The Pirates are closing in on a two-year, $10.5MM deal with Clint Barmes.
- The Indians are in "serious discussions" to bring back Grady Sizemore on a one-year deal. Sizemore has spent his whole career in Cleveland.
- The Cardinals re-engaged contract discussions with Albert Pujols for the first time since last February.
- The Marlins made legitimate offers to Pujols and Jose Reyes, but we learned this week that their offer to Pujols was for less than $200MM over nine years. Their offer to Reyes was for $90MM over six years.
- The Cubs named Dale Sveum their new manager. Sveum was also thought to be high on the list of managerial candidates for the Red Sox.
- The Cardinals, meanwhile, made former catcher Mike Matheny their new manager last Sunday.
- Yu Darvish's father said this week that it's "about 50-50" as to whether or not his son will be posted for MLB teams to bid on.
- Korean right-hander Suk-min Yoon will not be posted this offseason, as many had speculated when he hired Scott Boras as his agent.
- Japanese shortstop Hiroyuki Nakajima, however, will be posted. The 29-year-old hit .297/.354/.433 last season and cracked 16 homers.
- The Brewers will explore contract extensions with both of the starters they acquired last offseason: Zack Greinke and Shaun Marcum.
- The Giants find themselves in a similar situation, as they're trying to lock up Matt Cain before he reaches free agency next winter. San Francisco reportedly prefers a four-year deal.
- Mark Buehrle has said he's open to playing anywhere in the right situation, and that's a good thing for him because he's up to a reported thirteen suitors as a free agent.
- The Cubs are willing to listen to trade offers on any of their players under new president Theo Epstein and new GM Jed Hoyer.
- The Angels have "serious" interest in C.J. Wilson, but it doesn't appear that the market's top American pitcher will sign anytime soon.
- With the Rule 5 Draft coming, there were enough players added to teams' 40-man rosters to make your head spin. Here's the list.
Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Cardinals Extend Matt Carpenter Diamondbacks Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
NL Notes: Taveras, Stutes, Flores, Cervelli Minor Moves: Rodriguez, Stutes, Hester, Carson, Olmsted Ervin Santana Rumors: Tuesday Offseason In Review: Chicago White Sox Out Of Options Players: NL East MLBTR Chat Transcript Orioles Notes: Machado, Extensions, Santana, Schoop Kris Medlen Believed To Have Ligament Damage Angels Release Mark Mulder Central Links: Diaz, Scherzer, Capuano, Indians, Coke Quick Hits: Schierholtz, Diaz, Smoak, McGrady AL East Notes: Sizemore, Machado, Cervelli Braves Could Make Run At Ervin Santana Diamondbacks Outright Santos Rodriguez Offseason In Review: San Francisco Giants
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors