It's late on the East coast but it's not even 11:30pm in San Diego, so here's some Padres rumors for the Friars fans who are still awake:
- The Padres have spoken with Francisco Rodriguez about replacing Heath Bell, according to Newsday's Ken Davidoff (on Twitter). Then again, Davidoff notes that they've spoken to "pretty much all the available closers."
- Bill Center of the San Diego Union-Tribune writes that the Padres have about $20MM to spend.
- From that same piece, Center writes that GM Josh Byrnes will be active on Wednesday and also that he hopes to have all seven arbitration-eligible Padres signed by the Dec. 12 non-tender deadline.
- The Padres are unlikely to release anyone from their full 40-man roster to create an opening for Thursday's Rule 5 Draft, writes Center.
- Center also adds that the Padres will be one of several teams to watch Joel Zumaya throw next week.