There was no shortage of news this week but MLBTR also delivered a great deal of original content and reporting..
- The Nationals announced on Sunday that they agreed to terms on a five-year contract extension with Gio Gonzalez and Tim Dierkes has the goods on the pitcher's option years later in the week. If the Nationals exercise their $12MM club option for 2017, an option for '18 at the same salary will vest if Gonzalez pitches 180 innings in '17.
- Starter Rick Porcello and the Tigers avoided arbitration by agreeing to a one-year deal for $3.1MM, MLBTR learned. With two years and 170 days of Major League service, the 23-year-old Hendricks Sports client was arbitration eligible as a Super Two player.
- Need to get caught up on all of this week's arbitration news? Don't worry, we have you covered with MLBTR's Arbitration Tracker.
- The Braves acquired leadoff man and center fielder Michael Bourn at last year's trade deadline for a package of four young players, and Mike Axisa looked at what it would take for the Braves to lock him up.
- The Pirates agreed to terms on a one-year, $4.1MM deal with closer Joel Hanrahan. MLBTR learned that the righty can earn an additional $10K for 40 and 45 games finished and $15K each for 50 and 60 games finished.
- Pittsburgh also avoided arbitration with starter Charlie Morton, MLBTR learned, agreeing to a one-year deal worth $2.445MM.
- In an installment of (Not A) Trade Candidate, Mark Polishuk looked at Gerardo Parra.
- On Tuesday, MLBTR's Ben-Nicholson Smith was the first to report that the Astros avoided arbitration with starter J.A. Happ on a deal worth $2.35MM.
- Ben reported that the Indians avoided arbitration with outfielder Shin-Soo Choo on a deal worth $4.9MM. MLBTR had projected the Boras client for $4.3MM.
- The Rays avoided arbitration with starter David Price on a deal worth $4.35MM, Ben Nicholson-Smith reported. Tim expected Price to do better.
- If you missed out on this week's chat, you can check out the transcript right here.
- Boston agreed to a deal with center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury worth $8.05MM, BN-S reported (via Twitter). Some said that Ellsbury's salary set a record for a second-time arbitration eligible player, but Tim pointed out that Miguel Cabrera received $11.3MM in 2007 just before agreeing to a multiyear deal in which his '07 salary remained unchanged.
- Exciting news: this week, Tim announced the relaunch of RotoAuthority.com.
- On Tuesday, MLBTR learned that the Braves avoided arbitration with starter Jair Jurrjens on a deal worth $5.5MM. Atlanta signed all of their arbitration eligible players with the deal.
- The Diamondbacks' Daniel Hudson has already racked up 336 career innings (222 last year) and also has 25 wins and a 3.19 ERA. Tim examined his extension prospects.
- Mike Axisa rounded up the best from around the web in this week's installment of Baseball Blogs Weigh In.
- Ben learned that that the Padres and Chase Headley agreed to a one-year deal worth $3.475MM.
- Arbitration filing numbers came out on Tuesday and Ben had the scoop on the figures for Brandon Morrow and Russell Martin.
- On Monday, MLBTR was the first to learn of contract agreements and salaries for Chris Getz and J.P. Howell and the salaries for Phil Coke and Jesus Flores starts as all four players avoided arbitration with their respective clubs.
- The Rockies and Seth Smith avoided arbitration by agreeing to a one-year deal on Sunday, and Tim Dierkes was the first to learn that Smith will earn $2.415MM this season. Smith was traded to the A's the next day.
- Back in December, Tim Dierkes reported that the Cubs and catcher Jason Jaramillo were close on a deal and this week Tim followed up with the news that the minor league contract has been finalized.
- Tim (via Twitter) first reported the salary for Reds reliever Bill Bray as he avoided arbitration with the club.
- The Tigers and Max Scherzer agreed to a 2012 salary of $3.75MM this week, but the negotiations won’t necessarily end there, since extension season is just beginning, Ben writes.
- Some arbitration records will fall in 2012, Tim writes.
- The Orioles agreed to sign 34-year-old left-hander Dennys Reyes to a minor league deal, a source told MLBTR's Ben Nicholson-Smith (via Twitter).
- Tom Gorzelanny got $3MM from the Nats for 2012, Ben tweeted. That figure turned out to be a little higher than what was previously reported and topped the projected figure of $2.8MM.
- Tyler Clippard and the Nationals avoided arbitration with a one-year deal and Ben tweeted that the contract will be worth $1.65MM.
- Nick Collias passed along a report from Mexican magazine Puro Béisbol that reliever Luis Ayala is weighing offers from the Angels and the Orioles and could sign with one of the two soon.
- Ben checked in on the offseason's multiyear deals.
Cardinals Extend Matt Carpenter Diamondbacks To Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Week In Review: 3/2/14 - 3/8/14 Cafardo On Stanton, De Aza, Porcello, Drew, Britton Baseball Blogs Weigh In: Orioles, Barnes, D'Backs Quick Hits: Astros, Beltran, Orioles Quick Hits: Red Sox, Pirates, A's West Notes: Giants, Rangers, A's East Notes: Red Sox, Mets, Jays Blue Jays, Orioles In Play For Ervin Santana Quick Hits: Castellanos, Davis, Armstrong MLB Unlikely To Change Qualifying Offer Before 2016 Jose Bautista, Ervin Santana Leave Proformance Angels Outright John Hester, Robert Carson Ervin Santana Rumors: Saturday Cardinals Extend Matt Carpenter Quick Hits: Perez, Pineda, Mariners, Ramirez, A's
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors