A recap of this week's news as we get closer and closer to Opening Day..
- Andrew McCutchen is officially the face of the Pirates through at least 2017 now that he has a new six-year contract. The deal reportedly guarantees the 25-year-old $51.5MM and has a seventh year club option. McCutchen's contract buys out his final pre-arbitration year, all three arbitration years, and a pair of free agent seasons with a club option for another.
- Some wonder if the Yankees can get under the $189MM luxury tax threshold by 2014 and keep both Robinson Cano and Curtis Granderson after their contracts expire following the 2013 season. However, team president Randy Levine said this week that the Bombers plan to do just that.
- Orioles executive VP of baseball operations Dan Duquette told reporters that he doesn't expect to sign Johnny Damon, but later said that the veteran could be a possibility.
- Roy Oswalt spent most of the offseason telling teams that he'd prefer to sign close to his Mississippi home, but the free agent right-hander will now consider all opportunities.
- The Marlins have reportedly discussed the possibility of presenting Giancarlo Stanton with a "big, crooked" contract offer, though they have yet to reach out to him.
- The Twins signed left-hander Glen Perkins to a three-year, $10.3MM extension. The SFX client was already under contract for $1.55MM in 2012, so the deal covers the 2013-15 seasons. The pact also includes a club option for 2016.
- The Nationals are interested in outfielder Jason Bourgeois and have asked the Astros about him at least three times since December. However, Nationals manager Davey Johnson has been pleased with internal candidates for the center field job such as Roger Bernadina, Brett Carroll and Rick Ankiel.
- The White Sox have shown interest in lefty relievers Mike Gonzalez and Arthur Rhodes.
- Mariano Rivera may announce whether or not he will pitch in 2013 before the All-Star break.
- Zack Greinke will hire an agent if he reaches free agency next winter but is open to discussing a long-term deal with the Brewers on his own.
- It doesn't appear that Cole Hamels and the Phillies are close on a new deal. However, Hamels' agent John Boggs met with Phillies' management in Florida this week.
- The Giants and Matt Cain appear to have positive momentum in contract extension talks.
- Free agent reliever Mike Gonzalez turned down a non-roster offer from the Rangers.
- Surprisingly, the Angels are looking around for a left-handed reliever.
- The A's released catcher Landon Powell, who had been outrighted off of the 40-man roster in January and was in camp as a non-roster player. Powell has a .207/.284/.328 line in 406 plate appearances over the course of three seasons with the Athletics.
- The Orioles released reliever Dennys Reyes over the weekend when he didn't report to camp, but the lefty still plans to pitch for the team this season.
- Chris Young is close to rejoining the Mets.
Rockies Acquire Brett Anderson D-Backs Acquire Mark Trumbo In Three-Team Deal With Angels, White Sox White Sox Sign Felipe Paulino Roy Halladay To Retire Marlins To Sign Garrett Jones Astros Sign Chad Qualls Yankees To Sign Carlos Beltran Red Sox To Re-Sign Mike Napoli Nationals To Sign Nate McLouth Rangers To Sign J.P. Arencibia Astros Sign Scott Feldman Mets Sign Curtis Granderson Mariners To Sign Robinson Cano Yankees To Re-Sign Hiroki Kuroda Orioles To Sign Francisco Peguero Orioles To Sign Ryan Webb Marlins To Sign Rafael Furcal White Sox To Sign Ronald Belisario Dodgers Re-Sign Brian Wilson Red Sox To Sign Edward Mujica Royals Acquire Norichika Aoki Yankees To Sign Kelly Johnson Cubs Sign Wesley Wright White Sox Re-Sign Paul Konerko Rockies To Sign Justin Morneau Yankees Agree To Sign Jacoby Ellsbury Marlins Sign Jarrod Saltalamacchia Astros Acquire Dexter Fowler
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Overnight Notes: Masterson, Twins, Rockies, Myers AL East Links: Choo, Drew, Lester, Yankees Astros Interested In Joba Chamberlain Phillies Notes: Brown, Papelbon, Lee, Hamels Trumbo Trade Allows Angels To Pursue Pitching Quick Hits: Cubs, Blue Jays, Butler, Cruz, Ackley Tigers Still Successfully Adapting Long After Peralta Suspension David Price Rumors: Tuesday Latest On Matt Kemp Central Notes: Anderson, Cardinals, Ellis, Pirates East Notes: Tanaka, Red Sox, Mets, Braves, Chavez Corey Hart Could Make Decision Tonight East Notes: Mets, Burnett, Phillies, Benoit Central Notes: Arroyo, Twins, Cards, De Aza, Indians Nationals Interested In Justin Wilson, Jerry Blevins
Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors