A recap of this week's news as we get closer and closer to Opening Day..
- Andrew McCutchen is officially the face of the Pirates through at least 2017 now that he has a new six-year contract. The deal reportedly guarantees the 25-year-old $51.5MM and has a seventh year club option. McCutchen's contract buys out his final pre-arbitration year, all three arbitration years, and a pair of free agent seasons with a club option for another.
- Some wonder if the Yankees can get under the $189MM luxury tax threshold by 2014 and keep both Robinson Cano and Curtis Granderson after their contracts expire following the 2013 season. However, team president Randy Levine said this week that the Bombers plan to do just that.
- Orioles executive VP of baseball operations Dan Duquette told reporters that he doesn't expect to sign Johnny Damon, but later said that the veteran could be a possibility.
- Roy Oswalt spent most of the offseason telling teams that he'd prefer to sign close to his Mississippi home, but the free agent right-hander will now consider all opportunities.
- The Marlins have reportedly discussed the possibility of presenting Giancarlo Stanton with a "big, crooked" contract offer, though they have yet to reach out to him.
- The Twins signed left-hander Glen Perkins to a three-year, $10.3MM extension. The SFX client was already under contract for $1.55MM in 2012, so the deal covers the 2013-15 seasons. The pact also includes a club option for 2016.
- The Nationals are interested in outfielder Jason Bourgeois and have asked the Astros about him at least three times since December. However, Nationals manager Davey Johnson has been pleased with internal candidates for the center field job such as Roger Bernadina, Brett Carroll and Rick Ankiel.
- The White Sox have shown interest in lefty relievers Mike Gonzalez and Arthur Rhodes.
- Mariano Rivera may announce whether or not he will pitch in 2013 before the All-Star break.
- Zack Greinke will hire an agent if he reaches free agency next winter but is open to discussing a long-term deal with the Brewers on his own.
- It doesn't appear that Cole Hamels and the Phillies are close on a new deal. However, Hamels' agent John Boggs met with Phillies' management in Florida this week.
- The Giants and Matt Cain appear to have positive momentum in contract extension talks.
- Free agent reliever Mike Gonzalez turned down a non-roster offer from the Rangers.
- Surprisingly, the Angels are looking around for a left-handed reliever.
- The A's released catcher Landon Powell, who had been outrighted off of the 40-man roster in January and was in camp as a non-roster player. Powell has a .207/.284/.328 line in 406 plate appearances over the course of three seasons with the Athletics.
- The Orioles released reliever Dennys Reyes over the weekend when he didn't report to camp, but the lefty still plans to pitch for the team this season.
- Chris Young is close to rejoining the Mets.
Cardinals Extend Matt Carpenter Diamondbacks To Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Angels Outright John Hester, Robert Carson Blue Jays, Orioles In Play For Ervin Santana Ervin Santana Rumors: Saturday Cardinals Extend Matt Carpenter Quick Hits: Perez, Pineda, Mariners, Ramirez, A's Minor Moves: Wil Ledezma Diamondbacks To Sign Oliver Perez Ervin Santana Seeks To Sign One-Year Deal Before Opening Day NL Central Notes: Carpenter, Neshek, Phillips, Cubs Diamondbacks, Oliver Perez Nearing Multi-Year Deal Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Padres Claim Alex Castellanos Luke Hochevar To Undergo Tommy John Surgery Royals Release Brad Penny Ervin Santana's Representation Currently Unsettled
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors