By this time next Sunday, the regular season will be in full swing! Let's take a look back on the final week of Spring Training (even though the season technically started on Thursday)...
- A group headed by Stan Kasten and Magic Johnson agreed to purchase the Dodgers for a whopping $2.15 billion -- more than double the price of the previous record sale price of an MLB team.
- The Royals and Alex Gordon agreed to a four-year extension that will guarantee him $37.5MM. The deal contains a player option at $12.5MM. He'll earn $6MM, $9MM, $10MM, and $12.5MM over the next four seasons.
- The Padres locked up Cory Luebke through the 2015 season for a $12MM guarantee. Luebke's new contract contains a pair of club options that could raise the total value to $27.75MM.
- The Indians and Angels appeared to be on the verge of a trade that would send Bobby Abreu to Cleveland before the talks fell apart.
- Jonathan Lucroy signed a five-year extension with the Brewers that guarantees him $13MM if he qualifies as a Super Two player, or $11MM if he falls short. His contract also contains an option for a sixth season.
- In a more surprising (and albeit, smaller scale) extension, the Blue Jays signed Dustin McGowan to a two-year deal that guarantees him $3.5MM between the 2013-13 seasons and contains a $4MM club option.
- Following his release from the Astros, veteran righty Livan Hernandez signed a one-year Major League deal with the Braves that guarantees him $750K.
- The Brewers will let Shaun Marcum play out the rest of the season and reach free agency.
- The Giants and Matt Cain continue to talk about a contract extension as Opening Day approaches and CEO Larry Baer insists that the club is not lowballing the pitcher.
- The Cubs and Red Sox finalized the Theo Epstein compensation situation this week. Chicago will receive 19-year-old minor league first baseman Jair Bogaerts as the player to be named later.
- The Diamondbacks worked out a trade with the Pirates to retain Rule 5 pick Brett Lorin by sending 2010 third-rounder Robby Rowland.
- Former Yankees left-hander Kei Igawa signed a two-year deal with the Orix Buffaloes worth ¥200M, which is roughly $2.5MM USD.
- The Yankees signed Jack Cust to a minor league contract.
- The Nationals announced that they signed left-hander Zach Duke to a minor league deal.
- Tony La Russa joined Major League Baseball as a special advisor.
- The Twins officially released right-hander Joel Zumaya as the pitcher will miss the 2012 season while recovering from Tommy John surgery.
- Vladimir Guerrero worked out in front of Indians scouts at the team's Dominican Republic academy.
- Magglio Ordonez is close to retiring.
- The Giants placed infielder Mike Fontenot on waivers. San Fran agreed to a one-year, $1.05MM deal this offseason with the veteran and will now save three quarters of that.
- The Rangers released veteran outfielder Brad Hawpe.
Zach Links contributed to this post.
Cardinals Extend Matt Carpenter Diamondbacks To Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Quick Hits: Astros, Beltran, Orioles Quick Hits: Red Sox, Pirates, A's West Notes: Giants, Rangers, A's East Notes: Red Sox, Mets, Jays Blue Jays, Orioles In Play For Ervin Santana Quick Hits: Castellanos, Davis, Armstrong MLB Unlikely To Change Qualifying Offer Before 2016 Jose Bautista, Ervin Santana Leave Proformance Angels Outright John Hester, Robert Carson Ervin Santana Rumors: Saturday Cardinals Extend Matt Carpenter Quick Hits: Perez, Pineda, Mariners, Ramirez, A's Minor Moves: Wil Ledezma Diamondbacks To Sign Oliver Perez Ervin Santana Seeks To Sign One-Year Deal Before Opening Day
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors