As we say goodbye to one former All-Star and welcome back another, let's catch up on the week that was here on MLBTR...
- The Rangers signed Roy Oswalt for a guaranteed $5MM salary plus $1MM in incentives. Oswalt, 34, posted a 3.69 ERA with 6.0 K/9, 2.1 BB/9 in 139 innings with the Phillies in 2011. The former Astros ace is expected to make four starts at Triple-A Round Rock before joining Texas near midseason.
- Jorge Soler has been declared a free agent and is now eligible to sign with any club. The 20-year-old Cuban outfielder is expected to garner attention from many franchises including the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, Phillies and Astros. Soler has been compared to fellow countryman Yoenis Cespedes but will likely command less money as he's not yet ready for the big leagues.
- After 15 MLB seasons, Magglio Ordonez announced his retirement on Sunday at Comerica Park. The former Tigers and White Sox star boasts a career slash line of .309/.369/.502 and nearly took home the American League MVP in 2007.
- Bill Hall's second stint with the Orioles this season lasted two at-bats as Baltimore designated the utility man for assignment to make room for Steve Pearce. The Orioles acquired the first baseman from the Yankees in exchange for cash considerations.
- The Padres designated Jeff Suppan for assignment after the right-hander posted a 5.28 ERA with 2.1 K/9 and 3.8 BB/9 in six starts. Suppan, 37, returned to the big leagues in 2012 after pitching in the minors for the Royals in 2011.
- Jamie Moyer's 25-year career is in jeopardy after the Rockies designated the 49-year-old left-hander for assignment. Moyer became the oldest pitcher to win as a starter when he beat the Padres 5-3 on April 17.
- The Mets designated Chris Schwinden for assignment, and the Blue Jays claimed the right-hander off of waivers.
- Ross Ohlendorf opted out of his minor league contract with the Red Sox. The right-hander obtained the right to opt out of his deal when Boston declined to call him up by June 1.
- The Cubs claimed right-hander Jairo Asencio off of waivers from the Indians and designated right-hander Michael Bowden for assignment in a corresponding move. The Indians had designated Asencio for assignment earlier in the week.
- Right-hander Juan Rincon opted out of his contract with the Angels and elected free agency. Rincon, 33, posted a 3.12 ERA with 8.0 K/9 and 6.2 BB/9 at Triple-A Salt Lake.
- The Blue Jays outrighted first baseman Adam Lind to Triple-A Las Vegas.
- Jason Marquis is headed back to the National League as the Padres signed the former Cardinals starter to a minor league contract. The team is looking for rotation depth with four starters on the disabled list.
- The Pirates placed outfielder Nate McLouth on release waivers. If McLouth clears waivers he'll be granted his unconditional release and hit free agency.
- Manny Acosta's lack of control (6.1 BB/9) has him on his way to Triple-A as the Mets outrighted the reliever to Buffalo.
- The Twins returned Rule 5 selection Erik Komatsu to the Nationals after designating the outfielder for assignment.
- The Yankees claimed Ryota Igarashi from the Blue Jays after Toronto designated the right-hander for assignment.
- Right-hander Collin Balester is headed to Triple-A as the Tigers outrighted his contract to Toledo after he yielded nearly as many walks (11) as strikeouts (12) in 18 innings.
Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Cardinals Extend Matt Carpenter Diamondbacks Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Ervin Santana Rumors: Tuesday Offseason In Review: Chicago White Sox Out Of Options Players: NL East MLBTR Chat Transcript Orioles Notes: Machado, Extensions, Santana, Schoop Kris Medlen Believed To Have Ligament Damage Angels Release Mark Mulder Central Links: Diaz, Scherzer, Capuano, Indians, Coke Minor Moves: Stutes, Hester, Carson, Olmsted Quick Hits: Schierholtz, Diaz, Smoak, McGrady AL East Notes: Sizemore, Machado, Cervelli Braves Could Make Run At Ervin Santana Diamondbacks Outright Santos Rodriguez Offseason In Review: San Francisco Giants Minor Moves: Martinez, Erbe, Liz, Olmsted
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors