As we say goodbye to one former All-Star and welcome back another, let's catch up on the week that was here on MLBTR...
- The Rangers signed Roy Oswalt for a guaranteed $5MM salary plus $1MM in incentives. Oswalt, 34, posted a 3.69 ERA with 6.0 K/9, 2.1 BB/9 in 139 innings with the Phillies in 2011. The former Astros ace is expected to make four starts at Triple-A Round Rock before joining Texas near midseason.
- Jorge Soler has been declared a free agent and is now eligible to sign with any club. The 20-year-old Cuban outfielder is expected to garner attention from many franchises including the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, Phillies and Astros. Soler has been compared to fellow countryman Yoenis Cespedes but will likely command less money as he's not yet ready for the big leagues.
- After 15 MLB seasons, Magglio Ordonez announced his retirement on Sunday at Comerica Park. The former Tigers and White Sox star boasts a career slash line of .309/.369/.502 and nearly took home the American League MVP in 2007.
- Bill Hall's second stint with the Orioles this season lasted two at-bats as Baltimore designated the utility man for assignment to make room for Steve Pearce. The Orioles acquired the first baseman from the Yankees in exchange for cash considerations.
- The Padres designated Jeff Suppan for assignment after the right-hander posted a 5.28 ERA with 2.1 K/9 and 3.8 BB/9 in six starts. Suppan, 37, returned to the big leagues in 2012 after pitching in the minors for the Royals in 2011.
- Jamie Moyer's 25-year career is in jeopardy after the Rockies designated the 49-year-old left-hander for assignment. Moyer became the oldest pitcher to win as a starter when he beat the Padres 5-3 on April 17.
- The Mets designated Chris Schwinden for assignment, and the Blue Jays claimed the right-hander off of waivers.
- Ross Ohlendorf opted out of his minor league contract with the Red Sox. The right-hander obtained the right to opt out of his deal when Boston declined to call him up by June 1.
- The Cubs claimed right-hander Jairo Asencio off of waivers from the Indians and designated right-hander Michael Bowden for assignment in a corresponding move. The Indians had designated Asencio for assignment earlier in the week.
- Right-hander Juan Rincon opted out of his contract with the Angels and elected free agency. Rincon, 33, posted a 3.12 ERA with 8.0 K/9 and 6.2 BB/9 at Triple-A Salt Lake.
- The Blue Jays outrighted first baseman Adam Lind to Triple-A Las Vegas.
- Jason Marquis is headed back to the National League as the Padres signed the former Cardinals starter to a minor league contract. The team is looking for rotation depth with four starters on the disabled list.
- The Pirates placed outfielder Nate McLouth on release waivers. If McLouth clears waivers he'll be granted his unconditional release and hit free agency.
- Manny Acosta's lack of control (6.1 BB/9) has him on his way to Triple-A as the Mets outrighted the reliever to Buffalo.
- The Twins returned Rule 5 selection Erik Komatsu to the Nationals after designating the outfielder for assignment.
- The Yankees claimed Ryota Igarashi from the Blue Jays after Toronto designated the right-hander for assignment.
- Right-hander Collin Balester is headed to Triple-A as the Tigers outrighted his contract to Toledo after he yielded nearly as many walks (11) as strikeouts (12) in 18 innings.
Mets Acquire Eric Young For McHugh; Designate Cowgill Yankees Acquire Fernando Martinez Yankees Designate Chris Bootcheck Diamondbacks Sign Braden Shipley Phillies Sign J.P. Crawford Orioles Designate Yamaico Navarro Mets Agree To Sign Dominic Smith Giants To Sign Christian Arroyo Pirates To Sign Reese McGuire Mets To Promote Zack Wheeler Yankees To Sign Ian Clarkin Rays Promote Wil Myers Brewers Sign Devin Williams Dodgers Claim John Baker Astros To Sign Mark Appel Marlins Place Miguel Olivo On Restricted List Mariners Sign Henry Blanco; Designate Kelly Shoppach For Assignment Dodgers Designate Ramon Hernandez For Assignment Padres Designate James Darnell For Assignment
Current Free Agents 2014 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings 2014 MLB Free Agents 2015 MLB Free Agents 2013 Draft Order Transaction Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle MLBTR Forums Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Draft Signings: Adrian De Horta Red Sox Finalizing Deal With Trey Ball Quick Hits: Norris, Ethier, Blue Jays, Phillies Mets Acquire Eric Young Jr., Designate Collin Cowgill Mike Zagurski Clears Waivers, Outrighted To Triple-A Draft Signings: Bohn, Salazar, Verbistky, Healy, Moll Yankees Acquire Fernando Martinez Yankees Designate Chris Bootcheck For Assignment Padres Sign Ben Francisco Astros, Boras Meet To Discuss Appel Deal City Of San Jose Files Lawsuit Against MLB Diamondbacks Sign Braden Shipley Phillies Sign J.P. Crawford Orioles Designate Yamaico Navarro For Assignment Youkilis Out 10-12 Weeks Due To Back Surgery
Avoiding The Qualifying Offer Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors