Here's the latest news from both the Rangers and Astros, including how the future of the Lone Star State's greatest pitcher (Nolan Ryan) impacts both Texas clubs...
- Jon Daniels said the Rangers never offered him Ryan's CEO job, Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News reports. Before being promoted to the position of president of baseball operations, Daniels said the Rangers offered him a few other titles, and "all of those discussions involved me reporting directly to Nolan." There has been speculation that Ryan could leave the Rangers given the increased influence of Daniels and Rick George, the newly-promoted president of business operations.
- Hiring Ryan and giving him a significant role would greatly benefit the Astros both on and off the field, MLB.com's Richard Justice opines.
- Kyle Lohse is "slightly better than just a guy" in the Rangers' view, writes Jean-Jacques Taylor of ESPN Dallas, which is partly why the team isn't interested in the veteran right-hander.
- Astros owner Jim Crane tells reporters (including MLB.com's Brian McTaggart) that the team's ongoing negotiations over a new TV contract are crucial to the team's financial well-being and its rebuilding process. "This is a long-term deal, and it will really affect the ability to finance the team and the payroll," Crane said. "We have to have a deal that's market with the Rangers and Angels and we should be able to get that....We want to have our payroll where the Rangers' is so we can compete with everybody."
- Also from McTaggart, the Astros have done well to rebuild their farm system though it may take a few years for their current batch of top prospects to make an impact on the Major League level.
Marlins Release Jon Rauch Derek Lowe Clears Waivers Cubs Claim Eduardo Sanchez Mets Sign David Aardsma Cubs Designate Michael Bowden For Assignment Blue Jays Claim Thad Weber Angels Claim Chris Nelson Yankees Acquire Reid Brignac Dodgers To Sign Jonathan Sanchez Phillies Sign Carlos Zambrano Rays Sign Cory Wade Mets To Sign Rick Ankiel
Current Free Agents 2014 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings 2014 MLB Free Agents 2015 MLB Free Agents 2013 Draft Order Transaction Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle MLBTR Forums Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Rangers Sign Mark Teahen, Waive Derek Lowe Mariners To Demote Jesus Montero Prospect Rumor Roundup: Talking Twins Marlins Designate Jon Rauch For Assignment AL West Notes: Angels, Jesus Montero, Cotts Quick Hits: Francona, Indians, Mattingly, Dodgers Cafardo on Tanaka, Blue Jays, Red Sox, Phillies AL East Notes: Orioles, Red Sox, Ellsbury Antonetti on Bourn, Bauer, Pitching Draft Notes: Astros, Appel, Gray, Cubs, Harvey Minor Moves: Dustin Martin, Josh Horton West Links: Dodgers, Ethier, Norberto, Mariners Derek Lowe Clears Waivers NL Central Links: Garcia, Carpenter, Garza Red Sox, Jacoby Ellsbury Haven't Talked Extension
Avoiding The Qualifying Offer Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors