- Adam Wainwright Could Be Out For Season
- Rangers, Angels Reach Agreement On Hamilton Deal
- Blue Jays Release Ricky Romero
- Ben Zobrist To Have Knee Surgery
- Joe Nathan Out For Year With Torn UCL & Tendon
- Mariners To Sign Carlos Quentin
- 2016 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings
- Jeff Beliveau To Undergo Surgery For Torn Labrum
- D-Backs Sign Kevin Frandsen To Minor League Deal
- Cubs Promote Addison Russell
Trade Rumors Apps
- Trade Rumors iOS App
- Trade Rumors Android App
- MLBTR Podcast
- 2014-15 MLB Free Agent Tracker
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2015 Arbitration Tracker
- Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2015
- Free Agent Contest Leaderboard
- Reverse Standings
- 2016 MLB Free Agent List
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- Hoops Rumors
- Pro Football Rumors
- AL Notes: Fields, Holt, Hamilton
- Hamilton Trade Expected To Be Finalized Soon
- Minor Moves: Snyder, Dykstra, Redmond, Roberts
- Cardinals Likely To Replace Wainwright From Within
- NL Notes: Nationals, Padres, Guerrero
- MLBTR Originals
- AL East Notes: Yankees, Uehara, Rays
- NL Notes: Wainwright, Hamels, Dodgers, DH
- White Sox Designate Eric Surkamp For Assignment
- Baseball Blogs Weigh In: Owings, Balfour, Blue Jays
- Adam Wainwright Could Be Out For Season
- Cafardo On Hamels, Soriano, Red Sox
- Dodgers To Sign Mike Carp
- Quick Hits: Manfred, Ramirez, Soriano
- East Notes: Phillies, Franco, Red Sox, Victorino
MLBTR Mailing List
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Aaron Miles Rumors
A couple of links for you bar-hopping kids with Blackberries. Happy New Year’s Eve. Be safe out there…
- Aaron Miles said the Cardinals jumped in on the last day, but by then it was too late. He was somewhat miffed by being non-tendered twice during his Cardinals career.
- According to the Chicago Tribune, Paul Bako is expected to sign with the Cubs for around $500,000. He’ll be a nice, cheap backup to Geovany Soto.
- Indians GM Mark Shapiro told Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer that Mark DeRosa is the "perfect fit" for the Tribe.
- Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic wants the Diamondbacks to go after Ben Sheets. "Right now."
- San Francisco Chronicle beat writer Henry Schulman is preaching patience to the Giants’ fan base.
Ready for more Brian Roberts-to-the-Cubs rumors? Here’s a little speculation via Peter Schmuck of the Baltimore Sun:
Schmuck surmises that the Cubs might try to recover some of the offensive production that they lost in Mark DeRosa‘s departure by once again going after Orioles second baseman Brian Roberts. The Cubs just signed Aaron Miles, who is a fine utility infielder and occasional pinch-hitter, but he’d be an offensive and defensive liability as an everyday starter.
According to the Chicago Sun-Times, the Cubs signed infielder Aaron Miles to a two-year deal worth $4.9MM. The deal was first reported by ESPN Radio’s Bruce Levine. Speculation is that the move could allow the Cubs to trade Mark DeRosa.
Miles, 32, hit .317/.355/.398 in 408 plate appearances for the Cardinals this year while playing all around the diamond. Miles was one of the top free agent bargains of 2008 at $1.6MM.
- Changed my mind on the chat…we will not be holding it at 2pm today. The time/day of the chat is TBD.
- Here’s a list of the largest contracts in baseball history. You can see why Scott Boras would want Teixeira to reach $190MM.
- Michael S. Schmidt of the New York Times notes that aside from Felipe Lopez, all of Boras’ free agent clients are unsigned.
- Peter Abraham explains the Yankees’ large luxury tax.
- The Reds have yet to open talks with Aaron Miles, Ty Wigginton, and Pat Burrell. Talks are ongoing with Jerry Hairston Jr. and Willy Taveras, though Walt Jocketty is not making much progress with Rocco Baldelli.
Peter Schmuck talks about two of many free agents on the Orioles’ radar, pitcher Mark Hendrickson and infielder Aaron Miles. Jeff Zrebiec named Hendrickson as an Orioles’ target back on December 6th; check out that article for many other names of interest. Baltimore could be a great opportunity for Hendrickson, as their rotation is wide open. Schmuck reminds us that the Orioles also have interest in starters Braden Looper, Tim Redding, and Kenshin Kawakami. Roch Kubatko says the O’s are not interested in Ben Sheets.
This is the first I’ve heard of the O’s being interested in Miles; the Reds are another suitor for the non-tendered infielder.
Reds GM Walk Jocketty told MLB.com’s Mark Sheldon that he’s interested in three players who became free agents after being non-tendered by their former clubs: Willy Taveras, Ty Wigginton and Aaron Miles.
Jocketty said Taveras could play in center field, Wigginton’s a backup in case they don’t get their first choice of outfielders and Miles could work if the Reds don’t re-sign Jerry Hairston.
Wigginton played in the outfield 30 times for the Astros this year, but John Fay heard from Jocketty that a Wigginton deal could move Edwin Encarnacion to left field.
2:01am: MLB.com has the official list.
10:05pm: Here is a list of players who were non-tendered today, and therefore became free agents.
- Aquilino Lopez
- Joey Gathright, John Bale
- Jamie Burke
- Joe Nelson
- Aaron Miles, Randy Flores, Tyler Johnson
- Norris Hopper, Gary Majewski, Matt Belisle
- Doug Mathis
- Daniel Cabrera, Lance Cormier
- Denny Bautista
- Ty Wigginton, Reggie Abercrombie
- Jonny Gomes
- Willy Taveras
- Takashi Saito, Scott Proctor, Yhency Brazoban, Angel Berroa
- Clay Hensley and Charlie Haeger
- Chris Britton and Justin Christian
- Tim Redding
- Chris Capuano
- Kevin Cash
- Chuck James
- Chris Burke, Robby Hammock, Wil Ledezma, Jeff Salazar
Full Story | Comments | Categories: Aaron Miles | Angel Berroa | Chris Burke | Chris Capuano | Chuck James | Clay Hensley | Daniel Cabrera | Denny Bautista | Joey Gathright | Jonny Gomes | Lance Cormier | Matt Belisle | Scott Proctor | Takashi Saito | Tim Redding | Ty Wigginton | Tyler Johnson | Wilfredo Ledezma | Willy Taveras
Tim’s out for the night, so we’ve got a fresh post started for the non-tenders. MLB.com has a running list as well.
These guys are the officials as of now:
- As expected, the Marlins non-tendered catcher Miguel Olivo. Johnny Estrada was another casualty; these two make up the market for starting catchers.
- The Blue Jays non-tendered Josh Towers, a surprising move. Some NL team could offer him two years and get league average work out of him.
- Mark Prior has been non-tendered. Honestly if I were the Cubs, I would’ve tossed the $3.5MM his way just to see.
- Aaron Miles is now a free agent.
- The A’s cut Kiko Calero loose.
- The Padres have non-tendered four: Morgan Ensberg, Jason Lane, and pitchers Jack Cassell and Ryan Ketchner. RotoWorld speculates that the latter two, not arbitration eligible, could be offered minor league deals.
- The Royals cut the cord on Emil Brown. He turns 33 soon; he hit an ugly .257/.300/.347 in 2007. Brown earned $3.45MM in ’07.
- The Tigers non-tendered Chad Durbin, toss him into the free agent pool. Guess those trade talks with the Bucs didn’t work out.
- The Twins have let go Jason Tyner.
- The Nats have cut bait with Nook Logan and LHP Michael O’Connor.
- The Dodgers wave goodbye to Mark Hendrickson.
- The White Sox have non-tendered Andy Gonzalez and LHP Heath Phillips. Joe Crede sticks with the Pale Hose for now.
- Adam Everett has lost his job with the Astros. It’d be kind of funny if the Orioles signed him.
- Per RotoWorld, the Angels have non-tendered Dallas McPherson. He’s full of potential, but he’s never come through. He’s only 27, though, so he could still catch on somewhere. Unless, RotoWorld notes, he has an agreement in place with the Angels.
- The Braves have non-tendered Willie Harris, though he had already been DFA’d.
-Joe and Tim
Full Story | Comments | Categories: Aaron Miles | Adam Everett | Chad Durbin | Chicago Cubs | Detroit Tigers | Emil Brown | Houston Astros | Jason Tyner | Johnny Estrada | Josh Towers | Kansas City Royals | Kiko Calero | Mark Prior | Miami Marlins | Miguel Olivo | Minnesota Twins | Morgan Ensberg | New York Mets | Oakland Athletics | San Diego Padres | St. Louis Cardinals | Toronto Blue Jays | Washington Nationals