- 2016-17 MLB Free Agents
- Blue Jays Sign Dayan Viciedo
- White Sox Great Minnie Minoso Passes Away
- Dodgers Sign Mike Adams
- Michael Saunders To Miss 5-6 Weeks After Knee Surgery
- Blue Jays, Athletics Talking With Dayan Viciedo
- Doug Melvin On Papelbon Trade Talks, K-Rod Signing
- Brewers To Re-Sign Francisco Rodriguez
- Juan Pierre Officially Retires
- Aramis Ramirez Likely To Retire After 2015 Season
Trade Rumors Apps
- Trade Rumors iOS App
- Trade Rumors Android App
- MLBTR Podcast
- 2014-15 MLB Free Agent Tracker
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2015 Arbitration Tracker
- Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2015
- Free Agent Contest Leaderboard
- Reverse Standings
- 2016 MLB Free Agent List
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- Hoops Rumors
- Pro Football Rumors
- AL Central Notes: Boyer, Hanrahan, Chamberlain
- East Notes: Marlins, K-Rod, Braves, Lee, Hamels
- Nationals Sign Tony Gwynn Jr. To MiLB Deal
- International Notes: July 2 Market, Cuba
- Understanding Pre-Arbitration Salaries
- AL Notes: Haber, Street, Ludwick, Orioles
- The D-Backs’ Veteran Trade Candidates
- 2016-17 MLB Free Agents
- NL Central Notes: Wainwright, Holliday, Pirates, Leake
- AL Central Notes: Hunter, Twins, Hanrahan, Aviles
- Quick Hits: International Draft, Viciedo, Rollins
- NL Notes: Gordon, Burgos, Stewart, Preller
- MLBTR Originals
- Minor Moves: John Axford, Mark Rogers
- NL Notes: Shields, Guerrero, Marlins
MLBTR Mailing List
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Blaine Boyer Rumors
Links for Friday…
- The D'Backs agreed to a one-year deal with arbitration-eligible righty Blaine Boyer, tweets MLB.com's Steve Gilbert.
- ESPN's Jorge Arangure Jr. analyzes Aroldis Chapman's upcoming bullpen session – does it represent a loss of leverage? Arangure Jr. notes that Chapman received one offer so far – $15.5MM – from the Red Sox back when he was represented by Edwin Mejia.
- SI's Jon Heyman names his winners and losers of the Winter Meetings.
- Royals GM Dayton Moore expects a bigger non-tender group than years past, writes Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star.
- Bruce Miles of the Daily Herald expects the Cubs to tender contracts to Mike Fontenot, Koyie Hill, Sean Marshall, Jeff Baker, and Angel Guzman, but not lefty Neal Cotts. Cotts is coming back from Tommy John surgery, and the Cubs could re-sign him to a minor league deal.
- Joel Sherman of the New York Post criticizes the New York Times for letting his good friend Jack Curry go.
- MLB.com's Carrie Muskat says the Cubs acquired righty Arismendy Mota from the Nationals for cash considerations. Mota was taken by the Nats from the White Sox with the first pick of the Triple A phase of the Rule 5 draft yesterday.
- ESPN's Jerry Crasnick believes that while the free agent dollars are flowing now, "the euphoria will fade after the New Year."
- The Nationals officially announced their two-year deal for Ivan Rodriguez today.
According to the Arizona Republic the D'Backs claimed pitcher Blaine Boyer off waivers from the Cardinals, who designated him for assignment last week. The 27-year-old had a 4.41 ERA in 15 appearances with the Cards. It's been a hectic year for Boyer, who was traded from Atlanta to St. Louis back in April.
According to Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, the Cardinals have designated Blaine Boyer for assignment. Boyer, 28 in July, had allowed 19 baserunners in 16.3 innings, striking out nine.
According to a press release, the Cardinals acquired reliever Blaine Boyer from the Braves for outfielder Brian Barton.
Boyer, 27, was designated for assignment on Saturday to make room for Jo-Jo Reyes. When he's right, Boyer is able to get strikeouts and groundballs. Last year he dealt with a sore knee.
Barton, 26, was taken by the Cardinals from the Indians in the 2007 Rule 5 draft. He hit .268/.354/.392 in 179 plate appearances last year while playing mostly left field. Barton, an aerospace engineering major in college, was a well-regarded five-tool player prior to a 2006 knee injury. Atlanta's less-crowded outfield should present a better opportunity than St. Louis, though Barton will initially head to Triple A.
According to Dave O'Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution the Braves have designated Blaine Boyer for assignment. You can find O'Brien's update in the comments section of the article.
The righty had allowed six earned runs in an inning and a third of work so far in three relief appearances for the Braves.
Tom Krasovic of the San Diego Union-Tribune had an article yesterday involving a couple of failed Padres trades.
Krasovic says the Padres and Braves were discussing a 4-for-1 Jake Peavy deal in November. Yunel Escobar and Gorkys Hernadez were agreed upon. The conflict came as the Padres wanted Charlie Morton over Jo-Jo Reyes as well as Jeff Locke or Tyler Flowers over Blaine Boyer. To me that gap looks pretty sizeable, so maybe the trade was never close. At this point it seems like the Braves could end up with Javier Vazquez and Kenshin Kawakami as their rotation upgrades. They’ve reportedly made Escobar unavailable, leading Dan Hayes of the North County Times to suggest the Braves would have to remove Tommy Hanson‘s apparent "untouchable" tag to get Peavy. Everything I’ve read about Hanson has said the Braves are adamant about keeping him.
Krasovic also says the Giants made a run at shortstop Khalil Greene before he was dealt to the Cardinals.
According to Ken Rosenthal, the Braves and Cardinals discussed a trade for outfielder Rick Ankiel. However, the Braves did not want to give up Mike Gonzalez. I’m surprised; one year of Gonzalez for one of Ankiel sounds like a good swap for the Braves.
Rosenthal says the two teams also talked about swapping Blaine Boyer for Joe Mather, but that didn’t pan out either.
According to Scott Miller of CBSSports.com, the Padres are expected to request Jake Peavy waive his no-trade clause to go to the Braves. The deal being discussed: Yunel Escobar, Gorkys Hernandez, Charlie Morton or Jo-Jo Reyes, and Blaine Boyer or one of two minor league southpaws. Miller says the Padres are leaning toward Morton and Boyer.
The Braves want an answer by Friday, so they can figure out their free agent needs. Peavy is said to prefer the Cubs, but we’ll see what happens if the Padres approach him to waive the no-trade for Atlanta. It hasn’t happened yet.