- Blue Jays Sign Dayan Viciedo
- Michael Saunders To Miss 5-6 Weeks After Knee Surgery
- Blue Jays, Athletics Talking With Dayan Viciedo
- Doug Melvin On Papelbon Trade Talks, K-Rod Signing
- Brewers To Re-Sign Francisco Rodriguez
- Juan Pierre Officially Retires
- Aramis Ramirez Likely To Retire After 2015 Season
- Blue Jays Sign Johan Santana To Minors Deal
- Brady Aiken Enrolls At IMG Academy
- Francisco Rodriguez Agrees To Terms With Unidentified Team
Trade Rumors Apps
- Trade Rumors iOS App
- Trade Rumors Android App
- MLBTR Podcast
- 2014-15 MLB Free Agent Tracker
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2015 Arbitration Tracker
- Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2015
- Free Agent Contest Leaderboard
- Reverse Standings
- 2016 MLB Free Agent List
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- Hoops Rumors
- Pro Football Rumors
- Quick Hits: Cuba, Tomas, McCutchen
- East Notes: Hart, Hardy, Belisario
- Glenn Flesig On Tommy John Incidence
- Phillies Notes: Rollins, Herrera, Oliver, Aumont
- Blue Jays Sign Dayan Viciedo
- Scherzer On Signing With The Nationals
- AL Notes: Rodon, Hamilton, Zito
- Quick Hits: Japanese Signees, Phillies, McCutchen
- Minor Moves: Jesus Pirela
- Central Notes: Sale, Cubs, Floyd
- AL East Notes: Moncada, Beckham, Duquette
- Team Payroll Restrictions Could Be Issue In Next Round Of CBA Talks
- Week In Review: 2/21/15 – 2/28/15
- Looking At Landing Spots For Rafael Soriano
- Minor Moves: Hill, Gillies, Sale, Tigers, Dbacks, Dodgers
MLBTR Mailing List
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Daniel Cabrera Rumors
MONDAY 7:07pm: The riveting saga has come to a close, as Nick Piecoro at the Arizona Republic reports that the Diamondbacks have come to terms with Cabrera on a minor-league deal. He'll work his way to a pitch count of 90-100 and the team will decide whether or not to promote him to the majors. His agent indicates there could be an out clause in the contract that would grant Cabrera his release if he isn't called up.
SUNDAY 3:01pm: Steve Gilbert has an update. As of right now, no deal has been reached. Diamondbacks scouts watched Cabrera throw yesterday in the Dominican Republic. Gilbert believes the D'Backs are looking to add pitching depth to the organization, and is unsure whether they envision Cabrera as a starter or reliever.
12:41pm: According to Mario Rojas at Candela Deportiva, the Diamondbacks have signed pitcher Daniel Cabrera to a minor-league deal. Nick Piecoro at the Arizona Republic talked to Cabrera's agent, who said that there are "active discussions" going on, with both sides trying to hammer down whether it's a major-league or minor-league deal, and that nothing is official just yet.
Cabrera had been designated for assignment by the Nationals in May after posting a 5.85 ERA and 16/35 K/BB ratio in 40 innings. He had signed a one-year, $2.6MM deal with the Nationals before the season.
According to Mike Berardino of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, the Marlins are interested in righty Daniel Cabrera. Cabrera was designated for assignment by the Nationals on Tuesday. Berardino notes that Marlins pitching coach Mark Wiley worked with Cabrera in Baltimore in '04.
Back when Cabrera was a free agent, he reportedly drew interest from eleven clubs (the Pirates and Mets included).
According to Chico Harlan of the Washington Post, the Nationals designated pitcher Daniel Cabrera for assignment tonight. Acting GM Mike Rizzo was frank: "I was tired of watching him." We all were, Mike. Cabrera told Harlan he would not accept a minor league assignment.
Back when the Nationals signed Cabrera for $2.6MM on December 20th, I thought it was a decent gamble. They beat out the Mets and Pirates to get him. But the velocity that made Cabrera intriguing pre-2008 did not return in 2009. In fact, he lost even more on the fastball. You have to wonder about Cabrera's health. He posted a 5.85 ERA in 40 innings for the Nationals.
Pirates rumors from the tireless Dejan Kovacevic…
- Kovacevic says the Pirates are in pursuit of free agent outfielder Rocco Baldelli. The Bucs are serious about him, having spoken to his agents several times. The Reds, Phillies, Red Sox, and Yankees are considered other suitors.
- The team’s interest in Ty Wigginton has dropped off.
- Doug Mientkiewicz remains on the radar, but no offer has been made.
- Nothing cooking on the Jack Wilson front; he’s likely to remain the Pirates’ shortstop.
- The Pirates offered slightly more than the $2.6MM Daniel Cabrera signed for with the Nationals. D-Cab wanted to remain in the area. The Pirates may choose not to pursue any other free agent starters.
- We knew extension talks with Nate McLouth had fizzled; turns out nothing is close with Paul Maholm either. Pirates president Frank Coonelly described the disconnect at Ryan Doumit‘s press conference.
10:26pm: Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports the contract for Daniel Cabrera is a one-year deal worth $2.6 million, about a million less than he’d have been owed after arbitration.
1:24pm: According to MLB.com’s Bill Ladson, the Nationals signed Daniel Cabrera to a one-year deal (pending a physical). One of Ladson’s sources says the Nats beat out the Mets and Pirates for him. So far this offseason the Nationals have added Cabrera and Scott Olsen to their rotation.
Cabrera, 28 in May, made 30 starts for the Orioles in 2008 with a 5.25 ERA. His walks remained high, while his strikeout rate was way down and he lost 1.7mph off his average fastball. Cabrera’s season ended in September with an elbow sprain, which did not require surgery.
According to John Perrotto of Baseball Prospectus, the Pirates top the list of suitors for Daniel Cabrera. He says the Brewers, Padres, Rangers, Blue Jays, and Nationals are also interested.
A few random notes from around the MLBiverse…
- The Cardinals signed infielder Joe Thurston and catcher Justin Knoedler to minor league deals with spring training invites. Thurston appeared in four games for the Red Sox in ’08, while Knoedler last appeared in the majors with the Giants in ’06.
- Jordan Bastian says the Blue Jays are not one of the teams that have offered a contract to Daniel Cabrera. The Jays are interested, but want to see Cabrera pitch in the Dominican Winter League before making an offer…Cabrera’s agent says eleven teams have shown interest and Cabrera has received two contract offers.
- Jon Heyman is reporting that the FBI is still investigating Miguel Tejada, which will hinder any attempts to trade the shortstop…We previously heard that the Astros were trying hard to move Tejada but had yet to find any suitors.
- Mike Bauman believes the Red Sox offer to Mark Teixeira could be a direct reaction to the recent signings of C.C. Sabathia and A.J. Burnett by the Yankees. Bauman says the Red Sox "cannot sit idly by and watch the Yanks make dramatic, if incredibly expensive, improvements."
6:36pm: The Pirates contacted Cabrera’s agent this weekend, so they’re one of the many teams considering him. Powers told Rob Biertempfel he has "two firm offers" in hand. Dan Connolly notes that the Blue Jays and Nationals have shown interest in the past.
3:32pm: The Baltimore Sun’s Dan Connolly talked to Daniel Cabrera‘s agent Mike Powers, who says eleven teams have expressed interest in his client. One even offered a multiyear deal. Cabrera, 28 in May, was non-tendered by the Orioles on Friday.
2:01am: MLB.com has the official list.
10:05pm: Here is a list of players who were non-tendered today, and therefore became free agents.
- Aquilino Lopez
- Joey Gathright, John Bale
- Jamie Burke
- Joe Nelson
- Aaron Miles, Randy Flores, Tyler Johnson
- Norris Hopper, Gary Majewski, Matt Belisle
- Doug Mathis
- Daniel Cabrera, Lance Cormier
- Denny Bautista
- Ty Wigginton, Reggie Abercrombie
- Jonny Gomes
- Willy Taveras
- Takashi Saito, Scott Proctor, Yhency Brazoban, Angel Berroa
- Clay Hensley and Charlie Haeger
- Chris Britton and Justin Christian
- Tim Redding
- Chris Capuano
- Kevin Cash
- Chuck James
- Chris Burke, Robby Hammock, Wil Ledezma, Jeff Salazar
Full Story | Comments | Categories: Aaron Miles | Angel Berroa | Chris Burke | Chris Capuano | Chuck James | Clay Hensley | Daniel Cabrera | Denny Bautista | Joey Gathright | Jonny Gomes | Lance Cormier | Matt Belisle | Scott Proctor | Takashi Saito | Tim Redding | Ty Wigginton | Tyler Johnson | Wilfredo Ledezma | Willy Taveras