- Mets Make Waiver Claim To Acquire Reliever
- Denard Span To Undergo Season-Ending Hip Surgery
- Mariners Fire GM Jack Zduriencik
- MLB Wins Collusion Case Versus Barry Bonds
- Cubs Acquire Fernando Rodney, Designate Brian Schlitter
- Chris Perez Retires
- Hanley Ramirez To Play First Base For Red Sox In 2016
- Austin Jackson Clears Waivers, Generating Interest
- Sabathia Possibly Done For Season; Yankees Re-Sign Capuano
- Astros, Dallas Keuchel Have Discussed Long-Term Deal
Trade Rumors Apps
Weekly email list
- AL Notes: Blue Jays, Mariners, Gordon
- Padres Pull Kimbrel Back From Waivers
- Mets Make Waiver Claim To Acquire Reliever
- Blue Jays Designate Ty Kelly For Assignment
- Quick Hits: Francona, Price, Flores
- Front Office Notes: Zduriencik, Dipoto, Anthopoulos
- Week In Review: 8/22/15 – 8/28/15
- AL East Notes: Buchholz, Red Sox Front Office, Hanley, Shapiro, Tolleson
- Front Office Notes: Brewers, Reds, Levine, Mariners
- Blue Jays Claim Danny Dorn
- Heyman’s Latest: Castro, Shapiro, Davis, Anderson, Brewers, Phils
- Minor MLB Transactions: 8/28/15
- Rangers Designate Chris Rearick For Assignment
- Rockies Designate Ken Roberts For Assignment
- Cardinals Hire Randy Flores As Director Of Amateur Scouting
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Dean Anna Rumors
Anna made his big league debut in 2014 with the Yankees, appearing in 12 games and totaling 25 plate appearances. He batted .136/.200/.318 with his first Major League homer in that time, and he also picked up an inning on the mound when he spared the Yankee bullpen by pitching an inning in a 16-1 blowout (he allowed two runs on three hits — no walks though!).
Anna is capable of playing shortstop, second base, third base and the corner outfield spots, having logged at least 50 games at each of those spots in the minors. He has an excellent track record at Triple-A, where he’s a lifetime .296/.385/.432 hitter in 823 plate appearances.
We’ll track today’s minor moves here.
- The Pirates have outrighted infielder Dean Anna to Triple-A Indianapolis, according to the International League transactions page. Since being claimed by the Bucs in early July, the 27-year-old Anna has batted just .186/.368/.302 in 57 plate appearances. Overall, he has just a .601 OPS at the Triple-A level this season, and he didn’t fare any better in the bigs with New York, posting a .518 OPS in 25 plate appearances. Anna excelled with a .331/.410/.482 batting line with the Padres’ Triple-A affiliate in 2013, however, indicating that there’s some upside in his bat.
- The Blue Jays have signed catcher George Kottaras and sent him to Triple-A Buffalo, Shi Davidi of Sportsnet.ca reports. The Cardinals released Kottaras last month after they acquired A.J. Pierzynski. He’s a lifetime .216/.326/.414 hitter in parts of seven seasons with the Red Sox, Brewers, Athletics, Royals, Indians and Cardinals.
- The Brewers have acquired pitcher Jay Jackson from the Pirates for cash considerations, Tom Haudricourt of the Journal Sentinel tweets. Jackson, 26, has posted a 4.89 ERA in 84 2/3 innings as a swingman with Triple-A Indianapolis, but with 9.2 K/9 and 3.8 BB/9. He has also pitched in the Cubs and Marlins systems. He’s recently won praise for his stuff, with Pirates Triple-A catcher Tony Sanchez suggesting Jackson has the potential to be a good big-league reliever.
The Pirates announced that they have signed outfielder Jayson Nix. The veteran is expected to be active for today’s game against the Diamondbacks. To make room for Nix, the Bucs designated Dean Anna for assignment.
Nix signed with Tampa Bay in January as a non-roster player before being shipped to the Phillies in March for cash. The Phillies went on to outright Nix in May, allowing him to return to the Rays, who released him late last week from their Triple-A affiliate. Nix, who turns 32 later this month, was originally drafted 44th overall by the Rockies in 2001 and he’s suited up for six different franchises over his seven years in the majors.
The Pirates claimed Anna, 27, off waivers from the Yankees in July after he was DFA’d. He hasn’t set the world on fire this season but he’s only a year removed from being a Pacific Coast League All-Star and leading the PCL in batting average while producing a .331/.410/.482 line in 132 games for the Padres’ Triple-A affiliate
The Pirates have claimed infielder Dean Anna off waivers from the Yankees and he will report to Triple-A Indianapolis, reports Chris Cotillo of MLBDailyDish.com. Anna was designated for assignment by the Yankees Thursday.
Anna made the Yankees’ Opening Day roster and appeared in a dozen games slashing .136/.200/.318 in 25 plate appearances. The 27-year-old has posted similar numbers in Triple-A hitting .192/.283/.292 in 152 plate appearances (36 games). Anna, however, is only a year removed from being a Pacific Coast League All-Star and leading the PCL in batting average while producing a .331/.410/.482 line in 132 games for the Padres’ Triple-A affiliate.
The Pirates’ 40-man roster is now at capacity.
The Yankees announced that they have designated infielder Dean Anna for assignment. The move will help to make room for the arrival of fellow infielder Zelous Wheeler. Yangervis Solarte has also been optioned to Triple-A Scranton Wilkes-Barre.
Anna appeared in a dozen games for the Yanks’ varsity squad in April, slashing .136/.200/.318 in 25 plate appearances. The 27-year-old has spent the bulk of the year in Triple-A, where he has hit just .192/.283/.292 in 36 games. Anna’s numbers for the Padres’ Triple-A affiliate in 2013 were much stronger when he slashed .331/.410/.482 in 132 games.
You can keep track of Anna and everyone else in DFA limbo with MLBTR’s DFA Tracker.