DL Apps + FB
- Giants Acquire Jake Peavy
- Cardinals To Sign A.J. Pierzynski
- Yankees Acquire Chris Capuano From Rockies
- Mariners Acquire Kendrys Morales
- Tigers Acquire Joakim Soria
- Yankees Acquire Chase Headley
- Giants Sign Dan Uggla
- Angels Acquire Huston Street
- Astros Fail To Sign Aiken, Nix, Marshall
- Braves Release Dan Uggla
- Sabathia To Undergo Arthroscopic Surgery, Miss Rest Of Seasoni
- Red Sox Release A.J. Pierzynski
- Royals Acquire Jason Frasor
- Yankees Acquire Jeff Francis
- Marlon Byrd Reveals Four-Team No-Trade Clause
- Cardinals Claim George Kottaras
- White Sox Sign Carlos Rodon
- Masahiro Tanaka Has Slightly Torn UCL
- Brandon Phillips Tears Ligament In Thumb
- Yadier Molina Out 8-12 Weeks For Thumb Surgery
- Indians Acquire Chris Dickerson
- Aiken Has Elbow Injury; Astros Seeking Discounted Deal
- Blue Jays Claim Nolan Reimold
- Yankees Designate Alfonso Soriano For Assignment
- Yankees, D'Backs Swap Nuno, McCarthy
- Royals Sign Scott Downs
- Athletics Acquire Jeff Samardzija And Jason Hammel
- Reverse Standings
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2015 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- MLBTR iPad/iPhone App
- MLBTR Android App
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- MLBTR Mobile
- MLBTR On Kindle
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- NL West Notes: Zobrist, Giants, Ziegler, Tulo
- NL East Notes: Howard, Colon, Mets
- Minor Moves: Chris Leroux, Zach Jackson
- AL East Notes: Red Sox, Orioles, Blue Jays
- NL Central Notes: Brewers, Reds, Pirates
- MLBTR Originals
- Red Sox Considering Lester For Kemp Trade
- Latest On Yankees’ Pursuit Of Starting Pitching
- Latest On Jon Lester
- Alex Rios Drawing Interest From At Least Four Teams
- West Notes: Tulo, Kemp, Kennedy, Qualls, Appel
- Baseball Blogs Weigh In: Peralta, Abreu, O’s, A’s
- Red Sox Shopping Andrew Miller; Pirates, Braves Interested
- Rusney Castillo Impresses In Showcase
- Yankees Looking At Josh Willingham, Other Bats
MLBTR Mailing List
- How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries
- Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB
- Scouting Masahiro Tanaka
- Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present
- Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals
- Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA
- Future Salary Obligations In Context
- Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings
- Why I Chose My Agency Series
- Arbitration Breakdown
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Eddie Guardado Rumors
SI.com’s Jon Heyman checks in with a post on the Rangers; most of the info came up during his recent MLB Network appearance.
- Heyman says the Rangers "are considering a pursuit" of Manny Ramirez, noting that Jon Daniels isn’t currently pursuing him but didn’t rule it out. Heyman still considers the Dodgers and Giants the top suitors. El Lefty Malo doesn’t seem him landing with San Francisco.
- The Rangers maintain interest in Ben Sheets and are also considering bringing Eric Gagne back. T.R. Sullivan also mentions Tim Redding, Chad Cordero, Jason Isringhausen, and Eddie Guardado.
- The Rangers have received inquiries on Vicente Padilla (Braves) and Michael Young. Young has been loosely linked to the Twins, Mets, Angels, Dodgers, and Royals. Sullivan names Hank Blalock and Kevin Millwood as other trade candidates.
T.R. Sullivan talked to Jon Daniels, who said the Rangers are interested in bringing back Eddie Guardado.
11:20pm: Dayton Moore shot down the Bradley rumor this evening. The KC Star’s Bob Dutton says the Royals still like Rafael Furcal and Orlando Hudson, but they’d need to free up money first. They’d be willing to trade Jose Guillen if there was a taker, but don’t want to move Gil Meche.
9:05pm: Ken Rosenthal spoke to a Rangers official who expects Milton Bradley to move on (at least they’ll snag a supplemental pick). This official believes the Rays and, surprisingly, the Royals are the leading suitors for Bradley. The Rays came away impressed after their lunch date with Bradley, who was in town for Eddie Guardado‘s poker tournament.
9:48pm: The Rockies are moving forward on a deal for Rusch, according to Tracy Ringolsby. Ringolsby adds that the Rox may explore a long-term deal with Ubaldo Jimenez after the holidays, but aren’t quite ready to do so with Chris Iannetta. Also, the Rockies like Josh Bard but they don’t have room for him.
1:00pm: Joel Sherman adds Eddie Guardado as a lefty of interest for Colorado.
2:07am: Troy E. Renck of the Denver Post sums up the latest hot stove buzz around the Rockies.
- As you know, the Nationals are interested in Rockies outfielder Willy Taveras. Taveras might be just a step above a non-tender, so the price shouldn’t be too high. The real question is whether the Nats are planning on starting four players in the outfield.
- Joe Beimel is dropping out of the picture, but the Rockies still like Alan Embree, Ron Villone, and Glendon Rusch.
- The Mets’ asking price for Aaron Heilman was too high. Jason Marquis could be a trade target, he can at least eat innings at a cost of $6MM to the Rockies. Then again, a lot of guys can do that.
- No chance of multiyear contract talks between the Rockies and Brian Fuentes.
8:10pm: Piecoro says the D’Backs don’t want to trade Snyder; in fact, they’d like to extend him.
Piecoro notes talks with Eddie Guardado, but they didn’t go far. And Japanese lefty Ken Takahashi is not on Arizona’s radar.
7:20pm: The D’Backs have discussed a contract with Tony Clark for ’09, says Gilbert.
6:20pm: Rosenthal says the D’Backs want to trade the more pricey Snyder to clear a path for Montero. They could then ink a Gregg Zaun type to back him up.
3:30pm: Gilbert says the D’Backs have a one-year offer out to Loretta.
3:18pm: MLB.com’s Steve Gilbert says the D’Backs have not resumed talks with Randy Johnson.
12:12pm: Piecoro says talks between the D’Backs and Mark Loretta have advanced in recent days. They’ve made a "significant overture" according to Loretta’s agent.
- Piecoro dissects the D’Backs’ thought process behind their decision not to offer arbitration to Type A free agent Adam Dunn. He notes that their rumored two-year offer to Dunn was "more of an exploratory offer, nothing formal." They’ll stay in touch with Dunn in case the market is not to his liking.
- Free agent targets: Nick Punto, Arthur Rhodes, and the aforementioned Joe Beimel.
- Punto is one of many candidates for second base. Ramon Vazquez was the top target, but he was two guaranteed years rather than one with an option.
- Piecoro wonders if the D’Backs might now be able to scrape together another $3MM or so for Randy Johnson, given the Dunn draft pick savings and Brandon Lyon’s decision to decline arb.
Sid Hartman of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune has a quote from Twins GM Bill Smith on Delmon Young: "He is a 22-year-old outfielder with a bright future, and if we were going to trade him, we would have to get equal value." Young may not be easy to pry loose, but it doesn’t sound like he’s untouchable. There haven’t been many serious trade rumors about Young yet.
In other Twins notes, Hartman says the team doesn’t plan on retaining free agent Eddie Guardado but hopes to re-sign Dennys Reyes.
Sunday afternoon is here again… let’s have a look back at some of the moves and rumors since last time:
- The injury-plagued Red Sox acquired Mark Kotsay to help compensate for their injuries. In exchange, the Braves received minor league outfielder Luis Sumoza. Nice acquisition by the Red Sox; Kotsay has been swinging a solid bat this season.
- The Twins acquired Eddie Guardado from Texas in exchange for minor league pitcher Mark Hamburger. Guardado has spent the majority of his career with Minnesota and provides a solid arm to the bullpen. To make room for him, they DFA’d Mike Lamb. Nice move by the Twins, with the added benefit of being able to see "Rangers trade Guardado for Hamburger" in the news. Now that’s a headline!
- The Phillies added a veteran player as well, when they acquired Matt Stairs from Toronto in exchange for minor league lefty Fabio Castro. Stairs should be a decent option off the bench, and he’s still perfectly capable of hitting the ball out of the park.
- Scott Boras continues to find ways to create controversy. He’s now claiming that Pittsburgh’s top pick Pedro Alvarez verbally agreed to his $6MM signing bonus after the midnight deadline, and is trying to demand that the contract be renegotiated for a higher number. The Players Association has filed a grievance on his behalf. Alvarez could wind up back in the 2009 draft pool. Here’s a look at some baseball blogs’ opinions on the matter.
- Minor moves: The Diamondbacks claimed Wil Ledezma off waivers from San Diego, the Braves signed Elmer Dessens to a minor-league contract, and the Astros gave one-year extensions to both Brian Moehler and Darin Erstad.
Let’s round ‘em up…
- Chat today, 2pm CST.
- Richard Griffin of the Toronto Star tries to view J.P. Ricciardi’s tenure from both sides. Drunk Jays Fans gives their take on the article.
- Aaron Gleeman takes a closer look at Eddie Guardado, while Jamey Newberg tells us about Mark Hamburger.
- Inspired by Nelson Cruz‘s excellent ’08 MLB debut, Rob Neyer and Sam Mellinger discuss cheap talent and "4A" players. Do Jeff Bailey, Mike Hessman, Joe Koshansky, Scott McClain, Terry Tiffee, and Josh Whitesell fit the bill? It’s always fun when these guys get a legitimate shot.
- The Pirates are getting frustrated with Scott Boras’ games regarding Pedro Alvarez – he’s signed, so let him take his physical already. Is Boras anti-winter ball for some reason? Speaking of Alvarez, Matt Bandi strikes back at Bob Smizik for his article regarding the scoop on the signing.
- If the Padres have the #1 overall pick next June, will they pass on Boras-repped phenom Stephen Strasburg due to signability?
- Andrew Baggarly wonders if the Giants should sign Mark Mulder this winter.
- Ken Rosenthal examines the Yankees’ upcoming offseason challenges. River Ave. Blues responds to the piece.
- Tigers reliever Francis Beltran was designated for assignment after 13 innings. The 28 year-old had been hittable in Triple A as well.
2:13pm: According to Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News, the Twins have acquired Eddie Guardado from the Rangers. Joe Christensen wrote on Friday that the Twins would make a claim but didn’t expect a deal.
Guardado has been useful for the Rangers, posting a 3.65 ERA in 49.1 innings. The ERA is a bit deceiving, but it’s still a helpful addition for the Twins. Guardado is a familiar face, having spent a decade in the organization. He’s still owed roughly $620K this year.