- Hoops Rumors
- Pro Football Rumors
- Reverse Standings
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2015 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- MLBTR iPad/iPhone App
- MLBTR Android App
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- MLBTR Mobile
- MLBTR On Kindle
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- Red Sox, Orioles Discussing Jon Lester
- Latest On Emilio Bonifacio
- Cubs Acquire Felix Doubront
- Cubs Nearing Deal For Felix Doubront
- Latest On Marlins’ Starting Pitching Search
- Dodgers Backing Off Talks For Front-End Starters
- Alex Rios Trade Talks Gaining Traction
- $75K Survivor League At DraftKings
- Jon Lester Rumors: Wednesday
- Cardinals Acquire Justin Masterson
- Diamondbacks’ Relievers Drawing Interest
- Dodgers, Yankees Interested In Joaquin Benoit
- D’Backs To Sign Clayton Richard
- Chances Of Lackey Trade Are “Very Good”
- Phillies Make Hamels Available; Dodgers Interested
MLBTR Mailing List
- How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries
- Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB
- Scouting Masahiro Tanaka
- Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present
- Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals
- Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA
- Future Salary Obligations In Context
- Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings
- Why I Chose My Agency Series
- Arbitration Breakdown
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Jeff Cirillo Rumors
ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick examines the status of nine free agents: Sammy Sosa, Kenny Lofton, Reggie Sanders, Jeff Cirillo, Royce Clayton, Steve Finley, Freddy Garcia, David Wells, and Damian Miller.
- Lofton is likely to find a job; he’s healthy and played reasonably well last year. The Cubs still might be a fit.
- Seems that Garcia probably won’t reach a big league mound until September; auditioning for teams may take place in July.
- Miller received calls from the Yankees and Padres, but he’s still taking a Brewers or nothing stance.
Time to round up various tidbits and rumors.
- Jon Garland says that unless his agent kept him in the dark, a long-term deal was never discussed with the White Sox. But in the unlikely event the Sox pursue Garland this winter, he’ll listen. Here’s a look others who will be free agents after this season and under 30 years old for ’09.
- We’ve heard the Brandon Inge/Joe Crede rumors regarding the Dodgers. Tony Jackson speculates that Wes Helms or Jeff Cirillo could also be options.
- Paul Sullivan says Aaron Rowand was the Cubs’ Plan B to Kosuke Fukudome.
- ShysterBall can’t figure out why the Cubs would go after Coco Crisp.
- Todd Linden is mashing so far this spring, but he gets the feeling he won’t make the A’s. The 27 year-old switch-hitter has a Major League line of .231/.303/.335 in 502 ABs.
- Jon Heyman has an inside look at Alex Rodriguez‘s offseason adventure.
- In addition to the aforementioned Brandon Medders and Dustin Nippert, Arizona’s Edgar Gonzalez is out of options and has drawn interest.
Full Story | Comments | Categories: Aaron Rowand | Alex Rodriguez | Arizona Diamondbacks | Boston Red Sox | Chicago Cubs | Chicago White Sox | Coco Crisp | Edgar Gonzalez | Jeff Cirillo | Jon Garland | Kosuke Fukudome | Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim | Los Angeles Dodgers | New York Yankees | Oakland Athletics | Philadelphia Phillies | Todd Linden | Wes Helms
According to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, Jeff Cirillo will likely retire after being told that the Brewers do not have a spot on their roster for him. Cirillo stated that he would only play for Seattle (where his family resides) or Milwaukee in 2008.
Cirillo, a two-time all-star, has not been a full-time player since 2002 and enjoyed his greatest success with the Brewers and Colorado from 1998-2001 when he posted three straight seasons with an average greater than .320 and four straight years with an OPS north of .830.
Sean McAdam writes today about some bench players on Boston’s radar. He names Russell Branyan, Ryan Klesko, Corey Koskie, Jeff Cirillo, and Olmedo Saenz as possibilities. Branyan may be toward the bottom of the list. He had an odd .196/.320/.423 line this year with 10 HR in 163 ABs.
Klesko seems the best hitter of the bunch with a .744 OPS this year. Koskie missed the ’07 season with post-concussion syndrome. He said he’ll re-evaluate in January and decide whether he can play or has to retire.
Some minor moves occurred recently. Let’s catch up.
- The Diamondbacks claimed 37 year-old infielder Jeff Cirillo off waivers from the Twins. I still remember when Cirillo was a perennial .320 hitter and regular third baseman for the Brewers and Rockies. This looks like a salary dump, with the Twins not wanting to pay the $550,000 or so due to Cirillo for the remainder of the season.
- The Indians signed Scott Elarton to a minor league contract. Elarton was last semi-useful in Cleveland back in ’05, when he posted a 4.61 ERA in 181 innings. Currently, southpaw groundballer Aaron Laffey is looking to secure the fifth starter job.
- The Blue Jays designated Royce Clayton for assignment. Looking for an aging backup shortstop with no discernible talents? Clayton is your man.