Trade Rumors Apps
- Dodgers Acquire Joel Peralta
- Athletics Sign Billy Butler
- White Sox Sign Zach Duke
- Marlins Sign Giancarlo Stanton To 13-Year, $325MM Extension
- Blue Jays Sign Russell Martin
- Braves, Cardinals Trade Jason Heyward For Shelby Miller
- Tigers Exercise Alex Avila's Option
- Diamondbacks Acquire Jeremy Hellickson
- Pirates Sign A.J. Burnett
- Rangers Extend Jon Daniels, Thad Levine
- Jays, Tigers Swap Gose For Travis
- Pirates Acquire Francisco Cervelli For Justin Wilson
- Tigers Re-Sign Victor Martinez
- 2014-15 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions
- Non-Tender Candidates
- Trade Rumors iOS App
- Trade Rumors Android App
- MLBTR Podcast
- 2014-15 MLB Free Agent Tracker
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2014-15 Offseason Outlooks
- 2014-15 Free Agent Profiles
- Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2015
- Free Agent Contest Leaderboard
- Reverse Standings
- 2016 MLB Free Agent List
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- MLBTR Mobile
- MLBTR On Kindle
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- Hoops Rumors
- Pro Football Rumors
- Dodgers Acquire Joel Peralta
- Players Added To The 40-Man Roster
- Rays Designate Michael Kohn, Cole Figueroa For Assignment
- Yasmany Tomas Rumors: Thursday
- Padres Join Sox, Giants In Serious Pursuit Of Sandoval
- Yankees Sell Zelous Wheeler’s Contract To Rakuten Golden Eagles
- Rangers Designate Jim Adduci For Assignment
- Angels Designate Alfredo Marte For Assignment
- Angels Acquire Dan Robertson From Rangers
- Minor Moves: Duran, Fuentes, Bartsch, Gimenez
- Padres Designate Boyer, Asencio For Assignment
- Trade Notes: Porcello, Ramirez, Upton, Kendrick, Padres
- Giants Designate Juan Gutierrez For Assignment
- Reds Listening On Jay Bruce; Padres Have Shown Interest
- Rob Manfred Receives Five-Year Term As Commissioner
MLBTR Mailing List
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Sidney Ponson Rumors
The latest from Ken Rosenthal.
- A recent Ned Colletti-Scott Boras conversation about Manny Ramirez didn’t result in progress. Boras still has his sights on at least $100MM over four years. Rosenthal adds that Manny is "cool to the idea of playing in San Francisco."
- Nick Swisher and Xavier Nady are drawing "significant interest." Rosenthal speculates that the Giants, Braves, or Pirates would make sense.
- The door is not closed with the Yankees and Andy Pettitte. Pettitte recently rejected the Yanks’ one-year, $10MM offer.
- Some Mets people prefer Oliver Perez to Derek Lowe. The Braves have yet to speak to Boras about Lowe, while the Brewers and Phillies have financial concerns about fitting him in.
- Trevor Hoffman has a West Coast preference (the Dodgers or maybe a Padres reconciliation) but interest with the Brewers is mutual. Other relievers on the Dodgers’ radar: Juan Cruz, Guillermo Mota, and Dennys Reyes.
- Brian Fuentes‘ agent had serious talks with the Yankees, but no offer was made. Fuentes would’ve been Mariano Rivera‘s set-up man and perhaps taken over upon his retirement.
- Rosenthal notes that MLB kicked in a small part of the $10MM owed to Sidney Ponson from their luxury tax pool, which is not uncommon.
- If they can afford it, the Rays would like to sign Gabe Kapler.
- The Orioles, Red Sox, and A’s are interested in Gregg Zaun.
- Perhaps because of the cool market for his services, Orlando Cabrera is willing to play second base. The Yankees did not have interest.
- That Gavin Floyd for Brian Roberts rumor "seemingly arose from internal discussions among Orioles officials."
Full Story | Comments | Categories: Andy Pettitte | Atlanta Braves | Baltimore Orioles | Brian Fuentes | Brian Roberts | Chicago White Sox | Dennys Reyes | Derek Lowe | Gabe Kapler | Gavin Floyd | Gregg Zaun | Guillermo Mota | Juan Cruz | Los Angeles Dodgers | Manny Ramirez | Milwaukee Brewers | New York Mets | New York Yankees | Nick Swisher | Oakland Athletics | Oliver Perez | Orlando Cabrera | Philadelphia Phillies | Pittsburgh Pirates | San Diego Padres | San Francisco Giants | Sidney Ponson | Tampa Bay Rays | Trevor Hoffman | Xavier Nady
Today is free agent Cliff Floyd’s birthday. He is 36 years young. His knees are not. Also, on this date 18 years ago, the San Diego Padres sent Roberto Alomar and Joe Carter to the Blue Jays for Fred McGriff and Tony Fernandez, in one of the biggest trades ever featuring young, proven talent. Got one that can top that? Let’s hear it in the comments…With little action so far this year, the Hot Stove Season is ugly, Don Mossi ugly. Let’s take a look at what is being written in the blogosphere…
- Mets Geek takes a look at three recent rumored deals that may be sitting on Omar Minaya’s desk and ponders whether or not the Mets should make each trade.
- The Detroit Tigers Weblog breaks down what a Jack Wilson trade would mean for the Tigers.
- Fire Brand of the American League feels that with the recent additions to the bullpen, the Red Sox may be better suited to insert Justin Masterson into the rotation, rather than sign a high-priced free agent.
- Ump Bump suggests that the Angels could get more bang for the buck if they sign Adam Dunn over Mark Teixeira.
- The ‘Burgh Blues picks through the scraps and identifies eight players they would like to see the Pirates invite to Spring Training, including Richie Sexson, Sidney Ponson, Mark Prior and Matt Clement.
- MLB Notebook takes a look at the big guns in the free agent market and feels that the Yankees are no longer in a position to set the pace. Rather, they argue that the Angels now control the market.
- East Windup Chronicle feels that some are underestimating the amount of potential Major League talent playing in Japan, noting the number is "at least 30" and considerably more if they had the opportunity to start in the minors out of high school.
- Bernies Crew likes the Jorge Julio signing by the Brewers, noting the move gives the team much needed flexibility and depth in the bullpen.
Full Story | Comments | Categories: Adam Dunn | Baseball Blogs Weigh In | Boston Red Sox | Detroit Tigers | Jack Wilson | Japanese Players In MLB | Jorge Julio | Justin Masterson | Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim | Mark Prior | Mark Teixeira | Matt Clement | Milwaukee Brewers | New York Mets | New York Yankees | Pittsburgh Pirates | Richie Sexson | Sidney Ponson
The Newark Star-Ledger is reporting that the Yankees have signed Sidney Ponson to a minor league contract.
The Yankees just announced that they have signed right-handed pitcher Sidney Ponson to a Triple-A contract. Presumably, this means Ponson will report to Scranton, but it would seem likely that he’d get a shot in the Yankees’ major-league rotation soon.
Ponson was released by the Rangers on Monday, 10 days after being DFA’d for "disrespectful and adverse reactions to situations unbecoming of teammates." Ponson was 4-1 with a 3.88 ERA in 9 starts with the Rangers.
The Dallas Morning-News is reporting that the Rangers were unable to trade Sidney Ponson and have now placed him on waivers for the purpose of giving him his unconditional release.
On June 6, the Rangers DFA’d Ponson for "disrespectful and adverse reactions to situations unbecoming of teammates." The Rangers had 10 days to work a deal for the pitcher with a 4-1 record and 3.88 ERA.
Sidney Ponson won’t be missed in Texas, despite a 3.88 ERA in nine starts. Ponson coupled good control with a 57.3% groundball rate, compensating for a lack of strikeouts and tons of hits. The Rangers decided after a couple of incidents that it wasn’t worth it.
Nonetheless, a few Astros players asked Houston Chronicle beat writer Jose de Jesus Ortiz to encourage the team to sign Ponson. Ponson sounds like a decent-sized (pun intended) clubhouse distraction, but he keeps getting chances. Barry Bonds must really destroy a clubhouse.
The Dallas Morning News is reporting that the Rangers have designated Sidney Ponson for assignment for "disrespectful and adverse reactions to situations unbecoming of teammates."
Ponson, a non-roster invitee in spring training, was having a solid season for the Rangers with a 4-1 record in 9 starts and a 3.88 ERA. The Rangers have 10 days to trade Ponson.