- Dodgers Acquire Darwin Barney
- Giants Acquire Jake Peavy
- Cardinals Sign A.J. Pierzynski
- Yankees Acquire Chris Capuano
- Mariners Acquire Kendrys Morales
- Tigers Acquire Joakim Soria
- Yankees Acquire Chase Headley
- David Price Rumors
- Troy Tulowitzki Rumors
- Jon Lester Rumors
- Matt Kemp Rumors
- Jonathan Papelbon Rumors
- Reverse Standings
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2015 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- MLBTR iPad/iPhone App
- MLBTR Android App
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- MLBTR Mobile
- MLBTR On Kindle
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- Rockies Plan To Keep LaTroy Hawkins
- Ryan Zimmerman Has Grade 3 Hamstring Strain
- Jon Lester Scratched From Tomorrow’s Start
- Quick Hits: Cards, Fish, Willingham, Sox, Kemp, Lindstrom
- Phillies Have Not Had “Meaningful Dialogue” On Hamels
- Diamondbacks Shopping Gerardo Parra
- Dodgers Designate Scott Elbert For Assignment
- Minor Moves: Joe Saunders, George Kottaras, Matt Guerrier
- Rays “Talking And Willing” To Trade David Price
- Astros Open To Trading Keuchel, McHugh, Cosart
- Orioles-Nationals Television Dispute Reaches Litigation
- Matt Cain To See Dr. James Andrews
- Nightengale’s Latest: Hamels, Phillies, Dodgers, Lester, Price
- Stark’s Latest: Lester, Burnett, Lee, Kennedy, Lackey, Suzuki
- Giants Designate Tony Abreu For Assignment
MLBTR Mailing List
- How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries
- Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB
- Scouting Masahiro Tanaka
- Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present
- Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals
- Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA
- Future Salary Obligations In Context
- Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings
- Why I Chose My Agency Series
- Arbitration Breakdown
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Winston Abreu Rumors
Here are the most recent minor moves, via Kevin Goldstein of Baseball Prospectus and Matt Eddy of Baseball America…
- The Rays have signed right-hander Lance Pendleton, reports Roger Mooney of The Tampa Tribune (on Twitter). The 28-year-old posted a 6.75 ERA in 18 2/3 innings split between the Yankees and Astros last season.
- The Diamondbacks released right-hander Daniel Stange, Goldstein tweets. Stange, who pitched in the Majors in 2010, owns a 4.36 ERA with 8.5 K/9 and 3.8 BB/9 in seven minor league seasons. Goldstein considered the 2006 seventh rounder a sleeper early on in his minor league career.
- The Marlins signed Michael Main, Goldstein tweets. Miami has listed the 2007 first rounder as an outfielder, though the Rangers drafted him as a right-handed pitcher. Main posted a 4.95 ERA with 8.2 K/9 and 4.1 BB/9 in 305 innings in the minor league systems of the Rangers and Giants.
- The Cardinals signed catcher Mitch Canham, Goldstein tweets. The Padres selected Canham in the supplemental first round back in 2007.
- The Orioles released former minor league closer Winston Abreu, Eddy tweets. The right-hander signed with the Mexico City Red Devils.
The Blue Jays announced six minor league signings today: outfielder Corey Patterson, righty Winston Abreu, catcher Ryan Budde, lefty Sean Henn, lefty Mike Hinckley, and righty Brian Stokes. The deals for Abreu, Budde, Henn, Hinckley, and Stokes were reported on previously.
Patterson, 31, hit .269/.315/.406 in 340 plate appearances for the Orioles this year, playing mostly left field. He came up as a center fielder with the Cubs, who drafted him third overall in 1998. As Patterson can be a useful fourth outfielder, I thought he might be able to snag a big league contract. He is represented by Jim Bronner and Bob Gilhooley. The Jays' current outfield picture includes Travis Snider, Vernon Wells, and Rajai Davis, with Jose Bautista and Adam Lind seemingly more likely to occupy infield corners.
Abreu, 34 in April, spent the 2010 season with Tampa Bay's Triple-A affiliate. His signing was announced by Baseball America's Matt Eddy earlier this month, but the journeyman deserves elaboration here at MLBTR. In Triple-A Abreu posted a 2.28 ERA, 13.3 K/9, 3.4 BB/9, and 0.2 HR/9 in 55 1/3 innings. Abreu has done that type of thing at Triple-A before, but has yet to receive an extended big league trial.
A note about Henn: the Blue Jays originally claimed him off waivers from the Orioles in October of last year, marking GM Alex Anthopoulos' first move.
Joe Smith of the St. Petersburg Times reports that the Rays signed Winston Abreu to a minor league contract today. Abreu opted for free agency this morning after the Indians designated him for assignment on Saturday. The Rays acquired Jonathan Meloan for Abreu a month ago. Safe to say they won that trade.
Less than a week after designating Mike Gosling and Winston Abreu for assignment, the Indians outrighted both pitchers to Triple A Columbus, only to see Abreu opt for free agency. The 32-year-old righty struggled in cameos with the Rays and Indians this year, but he has an impressive minor league line to his credit. In 32 innings at Triple A Durham, he allowed just 14 hits and ten walks, striking out 49.
Gosling accepted the minor league assignment according to the Indians' press release.
According to Anthony Castrovince at MLB.com, the Indians have designated pitchers Winston Abreu and Mike Gosling for assignment. Those spots will clear the way for a call-up of Jensen Lewis and the newly-acquired Justin Masterson.
The Indians had previously gotten Abreu from the Rays in exchange for Jonathan Meloan. Abreu should find work on another team, as he had been performing well in the minors, but he was abysmal for the Tribe, allowing six earned runs and nine baserunners in 2.1 IP.
The Indians acquired Winston Abreu from the Rays for minor league righty John Meloan and cash, according to an Indians press release. Abreu will be added to the Indians' major league roster.
Abreu, 32, pitched in just two games for the Rays this year, but he excelled in Triple A, striking out 49 and allowing just 24 baserunners in 32 innings for an ERA of 1.41. Meloan, who turns 25 next weekend, pitched briefly in two seasons for the Indians. His Triple A numbers are less impressive than Abreu's this year, as he's struck out 37 and allowed 69 baserunners in 44 innings for a 5.52 ERA.
Marc Topkin of The St. Petersburg Times reports that the Rays have designated reliever Winston Abreu for assignment. He also notes that starter Andy Sonnanstine has been demoted to Triple-A Durham, and that Scott Kazmir and Chad Bradford were activated off the disabled list.
Abreu was tremendous in the minors earlier this year, striking out 49 and allowing just 24 baserunners in 32 IP. He appeared in only two games with the big league club after his call up two weeks ago.