Some random rumor tidbits for the weekend…
- Buster Olney checked with some execs on the trade value of Eric Chavez. Given the player’s declining health, indications are that the A’s would have to eat some money and would not receive any top prospects in return. Might be better just to hang onto him for 2008 and hope he can rebuild some value.
- The Cardinals acquired Russell Branyan. Branyan’s been well-traveled this year. It looks like Scott Rolen may miss the rest of the season, so Branyan will add some depth there. Brendan Ryan is still the starter at present though.
- Apparently a Ryan Klesko to Detroit rumor surfaced yesterday, but it didn’t happen. The Giants did a nice job moving Matt Morris but are stuck with many, many overpaid aging veterans. I fear this team might try to win and rebuild in ’08, and that rarely works.
- Randy Wolf signed a below-market deal guaranteeing him $8MM in ’07 with a $9MM club option for ’08. Now that he’s having shoulder surgery, that option will be declined. At the minimum Wolf could’ve snagged three years, $24MM last winter. Let this be a lesson to Matt Clement, Freddy Garcia, Jason Jennings, and Rodrigo Lopez – get the best deal you can. Though to be fair, Wolf’s discount was more of the hometown variety than injury-related.
- Bucco Blog is endorsing Tony LaCava for the next Pirates CEO/President. Support is building for this guy. Too bad it’s not an election.