Tom Krasovic continues to set the standard for Padres inside information. Today's column is especially delicious for rumor junkies, with tons of new material to chew on.
- Kevin Towers expects to fill his center field vacancy via trade. He may first want to wait to see if Mike Cameron accepts the team's upcoming offer of arbitration. Cameron is a Type B free agent. Remember that he will be limited to 137 games in '07.
- As for trade candidates, Coco Crisp is on the radar but the Padres smartly won't part with Chase Headley.
- Krasovic notes that Bud Black's connection with Angels manager Mike Scioscia could play a role now that Trader Bill Stoneman isn't the GM. Reggie Willits or Nathan Haynes might be in play for the Padres.
- The Padres really seem to like Felix Pie, and could re-open talks that would include Khalil Greene. They've asked about Tony Gwynn Jr. of the Brewers in the past. And it does sound like the Royals are willing to talk about David DeJesus.
- Sounds like the Padres will offer Andruw Jones $14-16MM on a one-year contract. Scott Boras hasn't seemed open to this with Jones, but time will tell.
- The Tigers will have competition from the Padres for Geoff Jenkins. Krasovic envisions a Jenkins/Scott Hairston platoon in left and expects the Friars to make an offer.
- Two starters will be acquired even after Greg Maddux is retained. Rehabbing former Mark Prior and Matt Clement would both like to play in San Diego. There has to be some sort of cosmic rule about having three ex-Cubs in the rotation. That is not recommended. Plus the Padres were on Curt Schilling's list. And don't forget the team's previous trade interest in Josh Towers, who seems likely to be non-tendered and could be solid in PETCO.
- The Padres could pursue David Eckstein as a second baseman and leadoff man. But that would seemingly block Matt Antonelli for longer than necessary. Plus such a switch wouldn't be in Eckstein's best interests financially.
- Towers likes Jason Kendall, perhaps as a backup, but faces opposition in the organization.
- In another article, Towers lends credence to the theory that the Marlins could sign Alex Rodriguez.
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Padres Rumors: Crisp, Pie, Andruw, Eckstein: