I'm on record as liking the Phillies' acquisition of Joe Blanton. Let's round up other reactions to the trade today.
- Bill Conlin isn't a fan of Blanton.
- The Transaction Guy sees nearly a 1.5 win gain for the Phillies this year, and isn't too impressed by Oakland's return.
- Keith Law thinks the Phillies' gain could approach two wins this year, even while considering the smaller park and inferior defense for Blanton. He considers the prospect package reasonable.
- Joel Sherman considers Blanton the pitcher Adam Eaton was meant to be.
- Tom Goyne says Blanton is the B-level acquisition we expected the Phillies to make. He doesn't think the Phillies will miss the prospects they gave up.
- Dave Cameron believes Phillies fans will ultimately be frustrated with Blanton, as his low home run per flyball rates are not sustainable.
- Rob Neyer says Justin Duchscherer is at peak value, and Billy Beane hasn't given up on '08 unless he moves Duke.
- Or could Huston Street be the next to go?
- Ken Davidoff is surprised Pat Gillick and Billy Beane matched up for a trade, and gives the edge to the Phillies. This does appear to be the first Gillick-Beane matchup, but I wonder how much of the work A's assistant GM David Forst did.
- SI.com's Jon Heyman thinks the A's waiting too long to trade Blanton, noting their spring demand for Johnny Cueto and then some.
- With all the deals this month, it's nice to not read the tired annual story about how the trade deadline is mostly talk and little action.
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Blanton Reactions: