Dejan Kovacevic brings us the state of the Pirates in a nice piece in the Pittsburgh Post Gazette:
- As we know, the Pirates don't want to trade Jason Bay. Kovacevic writes, "'We'll need to be blown away," one team source said, referring to Bay." The Braves, Mets, Phillies, and A's are the latest to inquire.
- If the Pirates don't make any more deals, they will of course revisit the possibility in the offseason. Still, any of Bay, Jack Wilson, or John Grabow could remain long-term if the Pirates aren't offered enough any time between now and next season, or if the Pirates don't appear to be "legitimately competitive" in the first half next year.
- The Xavier Nady/Damaso Marte deal was initially reported to revolve around Phil Coke and George Kontos; however, one of those was diagnosed with a damaged labrum, seemingly Coke.
- Ross Ohlendorf is expected to join the Bucs rotation after three or four starts in Triple-A.
- A fun fact from Kovacevic: "If the Pirates could have traded Nady and Marte straight up for Jose Tabata last winter, Huntington said, 'We would have done it in a heartbeat.'"
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Kovacevic's Latest: Pirates, Bay, Grabow: