Here is the latest from Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports.
- Many important Angels will reach free agency this winter: Mark Teixeira, Francisco Rodriguez, Jon Garland, and Juan Rivera. Rosenthal doesn’t expect any of these four back. Garret Anderson‘s $14MM option will not be exercised, but he could be re-signed. John Lackey and Vladimir Guerrero both have reasonable club options for ’09, but the Halos need to plan beyond that.
- Several journalists have noted the D’Backs may restock the farm system if they let Adam Dunn, Orlando Hudson, Brandon Lyon, and Juan Cruz depart as free agents after the season. They’re not worried about Dunn accepting an offer of arbitration. Why would he want a one-year deal?
- Rosenthal guesses the Indians, Mariners, Blue Jays, and A’s might have interest in Jason Giambi this winter. Giambi’s .398 OBP ranks 7th in the AL. The leader: fellow free agent Milton Bradley at a staggering .446.
- Mark Ellis surprisingly postponed negotiations with the A’s on an extension. It had been said Ellis wanted to figure out a contract before season’s end. He’s the affordable free agent alternative to Hudson.
- The Twins are trying to get creative to find bullpen help. GM Bill Smith says he’s made many waiver claims and won some.
- Rosenthal says "speculation persists" that J.P. Ricciardi will be canned after the season.
- The Tigers aren’t considering trading Magglio Ordonez, but Nate Robertson could be moved this winter. Robertson seems due for a move back to the NL. He earns $7MM in ’09 and $10MM in ’10.
- The Reds are being questioned for holding on to relievers David Weathers and Jeremy Affeldt.