5:18pm: More on the Mets: Ken Davidoff says they’re shopping Aaron Heilman, Scott Schoeneweis, and Pedro Feliciano. The A’s, Rays, and Rangers are fans of Heilman. The Rockies, Cardinals, Cubs, and D’Backs were also tossed into the mix by Adam Rubin, though the D’Backs haven’t had recent talks. The Mets would be willing to pick up some of the $3.6MM owed to Schoeneweis next year.
4:58pm: Brian Fuentes‘ agent Rick Thurman calls the below rumor of an offer to the Mets a "total fabrication."
10:56am: Checking in on the Mets…
- Tracy Ringolsby says Brian Fuentes‘ agents proposed a four-year, $44MM deal to the Mets. Ringolsby heard the Indians and Cardinals don’t want to go beyond two years. The Mets also met with Francisco Rodriguez‘s agent.
- The Mets are considering free agent Chad Cordero, who is coming off July shoulder surgery.
- GM Omar Minaya seems willing to spend big money on a closer and one starter, and then fill the other starting spot cheaply. The Mets could, say, sign Derek Lowe and trade for the affordable Edwin Jackson. The Mets haven’t exchanged names yet for Jackson.
- Ryan Dempster and Jon Garland may be on the radar, as Minaya met with their agent yesterday. Dempster’s agent said he can handle New York.
- Carlos Delgado approached the Mets late in the season about an extension for 2010, but they decided to pass. Delgado wasn’t bothered by this.
- Ken Davidoff adds that the Mets have let scout/former Bulls GM Jerry Krause go.