Action this offseason will likely pick up with tomorrow’s arbitration deadline, but let’s take a look back at the week leading up to it:
- Early in the week we heard a false rumor that the Giants had signed Edgar Renteria to a two-year, $18MM contract. I didn’t understand the signing at the time, and the fans seemed to share my sentiment based on the comments.
- The Pirates signed Dinesh Patel and Rinku Singh, two finalists in India’s Million Dollar Arm competition, to minor league contracts.
- The Angels emerged as players for C.C. Sabathia this week, although Mark Teixeira remains their top priority.
- We heard a couple different reports that the Red Sox are set to sign Japanese amateur Junichi Tazawa to a three-year, $6MM major league deal.
- Andy Pettitte may consider teams other than the Yankees, and is reportedly giving thought to the Dodgers. Ned Colletti confirmed that there is "some interest" in signing the veteran left-hander. My personal opinion, but I doubt Pettitte will be offered arbitration, and therefore won’t cost any other teams a pick.
- A few minor moves: The Astros acquired Tyler Lumsden from Kansas City for cash considerations or player to be named later; The Brewers signed R.J. Swindle to a major league deal, and the Red Sox acquired Wes Littleton from the Rangers for cash considerations or a player to be named later as well.
- Here’s a closer look at the Rule 5 Draft for those who want more information on it. The draft will be held on Dec. 7.