Only a couple of weeks from Opening Day! Things have been slowing down, but let's take a look at the highlights from the last week:
- We've been hearing for awhile now that Ivan Rodriguez would land with either the Astros or Marlins, and the rumors proved true. Pudge signed a one-year, $1.5MM contract with the Astros this week. He can earn another $1.5MM through incentives. Pudge said he was going to use the World Baseball Classic as a showcase, and while it's a limited sample, he accomplished his goal by going 10-20 with two home runs and 19 total bases.
- The Astros aren't necessarily done yet though. They're reportedly looking to acquire a third baseman in light of Aaron Boone's heart condition. Ed Wade received a call from a team saying they had a third baseman available. Personally, my first thought was Dallas McPherson, but there's lots of other teams out there. Mark Teahen? Brian Buscher? Scott Rolen? What's everyone think?
- John Lackey is less than excited about the Angels' extension offerings. It may be a down economy, but you have to wonder how much Lackey could fetch on the free agent market in spite of the market. If the Angels don't lock him up, he'll be the top starter out there. How much is he worth?
- The Nationals made two signings this week. First, they inked Joe Beimel to a one-year, $2MM deal. Later in the week, following the release of Josh Bard by the Red Sox, the Nats signed him to a minor league deal. Bard isn't far removed from a few good seasons with the Padres.
- Peter Gammons took a look at what we can expect for a price tag on Stephen Strasburg in this year's June draft. Gammons ventures that Scott Boras could demand a ridiculous six years, $50MM if the Nats take Strasburg first overall. Personally, I can't see any team ponying up like that. Strasburg had downright ridiculous numbers in 2008, and is continuing that pace in 2009, but that seems like too much to swallow.
- Offseason Review updates this week: Rangers, Reds, Indians, Diamondbacks, and Blue Jays.
Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays Yankees Sign Alfredo Aceves
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Kole Calhoun To Miss Four To Six Weeks Minor Moves: Giants Release Dontrelle Willis Padres Notes: Gyorko, Headley, Cashner Rangers Outright Daniel McCutchen Athletics Claim Marcus Walden Off Waivers From Blue Jays Mets Outright Lannan, Promote Matsuzaka AL West Notes: Astros, Franklin, Walker, Reddick Morales Rejected $30MM Extension Last Summer Astros To Promote George Springer Astros To Designate Lucas Harrell For Assignment Minor Moves: Scott Cousins NL Notes: Johnson, Cubs, Bradley Ryan Zimmerman To Miss Four to Six Weeks Athletics Release Joe Blanton AL East Notes: Rays, Drew, Pineda, Lester
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors