Only a couple of weeks from Opening Day! Things have been slowing down, but let's take a look at the highlights from the last week:
- We've been hearing for awhile now that Ivan Rodriguez would land with either the Astros or Marlins, and the rumors proved true. Pudge signed a one-year, $1.5MM contract with the Astros this week. He can earn another $1.5MM through incentives. Pudge said he was going to use the World Baseball Classic as a showcase, and while it's a limited sample, he accomplished his goal by going 10-20 with two home runs and 19 total bases.
- The Astros aren't necessarily done yet though. They're reportedly looking to acquire a third baseman in light of Aaron Boone's heart condition. Ed Wade received a call from a team saying they had a third baseman available. Personally, my first thought was Dallas McPherson, but there's lots of other teams out there. Mark Teahen? Brian Buscher? Scott Rolen? What's everyone think?
- John Lackey is less than excited about the Angels' extension offerings. It may be a down economy, but you have to wonder how much Lackey could fetch on the free agent market in spite of the market. If the Angels don't lock him up, he'll be the top starter out there. How much is he worth?
- The Nationals made two signings this week. First, they inked Joe Beimel to a one-year, $2MM deal. Later in the week, following the release of Josh Bard by the Red Sox, the Nats signed him to a minor league deal. Bard isn't far removed from a few good seasons with the Padres.
- Peter Gammons took a look at what we can expect for a price tag on Stephen Strasburg in this year's June draft. Gammons ventures that Scott Boras could demand a ridiculous six years, $50MM if the Nats take Strasburg first overall. Personally, I can't see any team ponying up like that. Strasburg had downright ridiculous numbers in 2008, and is continuing that pace in 2009, but that seems like too much to swallow.
- Offseason Review updates this week: Rangers, Reds, Indians, Diamondbacks, and Blue Jays.
Rangers Designate Derek Lowe For Assignment Mets Sign David Aardsma Cubs To Designate Michael Bowden For Assignment Blue Jays Claim Thad Weber Athletics Designate Daric Barton For Assignment Angels Claim Chris Nelson, Designate Scott Cousins Yankees Designate Alberto Gonzalez For Assignment Yankees Acquire Reid Brignac Marlins Designate Jon Rauch For Assignment Dodgers To Sign Jonathan Sanchez Phillies Sign Carlos Zambrano Rays Sign Cory Wade Mets To Sign Rick Ankiel
Current Free Agents 2014 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings 2014 MLB Free Agents 2015 MLB Free Agents 2013 Draft Order Transaction Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle MLBTR Forums Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
NL East Notes: Braves, Brown, Quintero Eric O'Flaherty To Undergo Tommy John Surgery Draft Notes: Appel, Gray, Shipley, Manaea, Stanek Transaction Retrospection: The Jackson-Hudson Trade Scott Proctor Retires Minor Moves: Paulino, Resop, Teahen Rangers Designate Derek Lowe For Assignment Mets Sign David Aardsma Central Notes: Pirates, Royals, Cubs Quick Hits: Gose, Dodgers, Relief Market Trade Market For Lefty Relievers Latest On Nationals, Mike Rizzo Which Players Will Be Traded This Summer? MLBTR Originals NL West Notes: Mattingly, Goldschmidt, Gregorius
Avoiding The Qualifying Offer Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors