It's pretty well-established at this point: the Braves want to add a right-handed power bat at first base or an outfield corner. Let's look at some candidates (assuming Jason Bay and Matt Holliday are too pricey).
- Dave O'Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution thinks Nelson Cruz's name will come up at the Braves' organizational meetings. Cruz, 29, hit .260/.332/.524 with 33 home runs in 515 plate appearances this year. However, he is under team control through 2013 and the Rangers have given no indication he's available.
- Jonny Gomes slugged .541 this year; he'd fit the bill. He'll become a free agent if the Reds play it cheap and non-tender him.
- Josh Willingham slugged .496 for the Nationals this year. The Nats may consider him a big part of their lineup, but for the right young arm(s) they'd have to listen. He's under team control through 2011.
- Juan Uribe, a free agent, quietly slugged .495 for the Giants. Uribe might be a poor fit with Martin Prado at second base for Atlanta. Miguel Tejada also probably does not make sense positionally.
- Paul Konerko slugged .489 for the White Sox. But the Sox are not in a position to subtract a bat, and Konerko has full no-trade rights.
- Marlon Byrd, a free agent, slugged .479 for the Rangers. He can play any outfield position. Solid player, but Byrd is coming off a career year and the Braves might not prefer doubles power.
- Jake Fox will probably be available this winter. The 27-year-old slugged .468 in 241 plate appearances for the Cubs after a ridiculous .841 mark in Triple A. The Braves could look into other older minor leaguers with power such as Shelley Duncan, Mitch Jones, or Randy Ruiz. Probably wouldn't be a fan-pleaser.
- Free agent Vladimir Guerrero (.460 SLG) would have difficulty playing the outfield full-time.
- Marlins' second baseman Dan Uggla slugged .459 this year and .514 in '08. Uggla's teammate Jorge Cantu could also be available.
- The Tigers could non-tender Marcus Thames, who slugged .453 this year and .516 in '08.
- Free agents Jermaine Dye or Gary Sheffield could come back to Atlanta, if the Braves don't mind sacrificing on defense. Pat Burrell, a player of the same ilk, might be available in trade.
- Xavier Nady is another consideration; he slugged .510 in '08. Mark DeRosa, who the Braves non-tendered in December of 2004, also showed good power last year. Ditto on the '08 power of free agents Troy Glaus and Melvin Mora.
- Magglio Ordonez slugged .494 in '08 and finished strong this year. However he makes $18MM next year and his 2011 option still might vest. Speaking of large contracts, Vernon Wells slugged .496 in '08.
- Jorge Says No wonders if a Corey Hart-Kenshin Kawakami swap would be fair.
- Did we miss anyone? Which right-handed power bat would you like to see the Braves target?
Tigers To Sign Joba Chamberlain Phillies To Sign Roberto Hernandez Giants To Sign Mike Morse Marlins, Cubs Swap Ruggiano For Bogusevic Mets To Sign Bartolo Colon Mariners Acquire Logan Morrison Mariners To Sign Corey Hart Nationals Acquire Jerry Blevins Pirates Extend Charlie Morton Rockies Acquire Brett Anderson D-Backs Acquire Mark Trumbo In Three-Team Deal With Angels, White Sox White Sox Sign Felipe Paulino Roy Halladay To Retire Marlins To Sign Garrett Jones Astros Sign Chad Qualls Yankees To Sign Carlos Beltran Red Sox To Re-Sign Mike Napoli Nationals To Sign Nate McLouth
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Diamondbacks Close To Signing Hudson, Blanco Quick Hits: Rays, Kimbrel, Weeks, Kalish, Madson AL West Notes: Wilson, Young, Angels, Morrison AL Central Notes: Jackson, Pelfrey, Garza, Butler Rockies Close To Signing Boone Logan Dodgers Notes: Kemp, Phillips, Gordon, Kasten Rosenthal On Gardner, Kemp, Drew, Mariners Blue Jays Notes: Rasmus, Samardzija, Anthopoulos Yankees Offered Infante Three Years, $24MM Royals, Blue Jays Discussed Billy Butler Trade Rockies Close To Deal With Logan, Talking To Howell Mets Notes: Axford, Gregg, Drew, Payroll Red Sox Designate Alex Castellanos Padres, Indians Competing For Joaquin Benoit Three Teams Have Two-Year Offers To Balfour
Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors