Baseball lost George Steinbrenner this week, easily its most recognizable owner, and the National League won its first All Star Game in what feels like an eternity (actually 13 years). Let's look back at the week that was...
- This week's big trade featured the Blue Jays and Braves swapping shortstops. Toronto received Yunel Escobar and Jo-Jo Reyes, Atlanta Alex Gonzalez, Tim Collins, and Tyler Pastornicky. Clearly, one team was looking ahead while the other was looking at the present. Reactions to the deal were pretty split.
- The Cardinals gave GM John Mozeliak a three-year contract extension, while Cubs' GM Jim Hendry got a vote of confidence from his team's chairman.
- Several teams are interested in Corey Hart, including the Giants, Rays, and Padres.The Brewers asked San Francisco for Jonathan Sanchez or Madison Bumgarner in exchange for the slugger. The Braves are interested in another righty hitting outfielder, Cody Ross of the Marlins.
- The Padres might need some pitching in addition to an outfielder, and they do not want any rental players. San Diego has not yet had any contract talks with Adrian Gonzalez, and unsurprisingly the Red Sox maintain interest in the star first baseman.
- The Blue Jays made Scott Downs, Jason Frasor, and Kevin Gregg available, and should certainly get some bites. The Reds were looking for some right-handed relief help, so they signed Russ Springer. The Giants and Mariners went to the scrap heap for pitching help, signing Dontrelle Willis and Jamey Wright, respectively.
- The Rockies are looking to add several pieces before the deadline, and have interest in Dan Uggla. The Marlins are likely to keep their second baseman, however. The Dodgers have no intentions of trading Matt Kemp, and Nationals' GM Mike Rizzo doesn't like the offers he's received for Adam Dunn.
- The Orioles are close to hiring Buck Showalter to manage the team, but no official announcement has been made. Orioles' executive Andy MacPhail said that he would be willing to trade his young players, but it would be hard to give them up. Talks with the Phillies about Ty Wigginton and Miguel Tejada are dead.
- The Red Sox have in fact exceeded the luxury tax threshold, which may impact their willingness to take on money at the deadline. They were discussing David DeJesus with the Royals before the news broke, however. David Ortiz is looking for a contract extension.
- The Yankees have their eye on Marlins' utility man Wes Helms, but their crosstown rivals might not make a move to add a pitcher after all. They did try to swap Oliver Perez for Gil Meche, however.
- Philadelphia doesn't expect to add any pitching, and a reunion with Pedro Martinez appears unlikely.
- The Mariners signed a trio of international prospects, while the Blue Jays signed a pair of their own.
- Here's the crop of players that were removed from their team's roster in some way: Dane Sardinha by the Phillies, George Sherrill by the Dodgers, Nelson Figueroa by the Phillies, Armando Benitez by the Marlins, Mike Redmond by the Indians, Fernando Cabrera by the Red Sox, Juan Castro by the Phillies, Mike Lamb by the Marlins, Nick Green by the Blue Jays, Anderson Hernandez by the Indians, Gustavo Molina by the Red Sox, and Casey Daigle by the Astros.
- Ben Nicholson-Smith wrapped up our series on The 2010 Trade Market.
Astros Sign Chad Qualls Yankees To Sign Carlos Beltran Red Sox To Re-Sign Mike Napoli Nationals To Sign Nate McLouth Rangers To Sign J.P. Arencibia Astros Sign Scott Feldman Mets To Sign Curtis Granderson Mariners To Sign Robinson Cano Yankees To Re-Sign Hiroki Kuroda Orioles To Sign Francisco Peguero Orioles To Sign Ryan Webb Marlins To Sign Rafael Furcal White Sox To Sign Ronald Belisario Dodgers Re-Sign Brian Wilson Red Sox To Sign Edward Mujica Royals Acquire Norichika Aoki Yankees To Sign Kelly Johnson Cubs Sign Wesley Wright White Sox Re-Sign Paul Konerko Rockies To Sign Justin Morneau Yankees Agree To Sign Jacoby Ellsbury Marlins Sign Jarrod Saltalamacchia Astros Acquire Dexter Fowler Padres, A's Swap Seth Smith For Luke Gregerson A's Acquire Craig Gentry, Josh Lindblom Rays Extend Ryan Hanigan Rays Acquire Ryan Hanigan Tigers Sign Joe Nathan Red Sox Sign A.J. Pierzynski
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Phillies Shopping Jonathan Papelbon Padres, Sox Have Talked Headley, Quintana In Past NL Notes: Ibanez, O'Flaherty, Cardinals, Halladay MLBTR Originals Alderson On Shortstop, First Base, Rotation, Murphy Ellsbury Contract Is A Guidepost For Shin-Soo Choo MLB, NPB Reach Agreement On Posting System NL West Notes: Uribe, Ibanez, Young, Morse, Ichiro Rakuten Golden Eagles May Not Post Masahiro Tanaka Mets To Sign Curtis Granderson New York Notes: Cashman, Santana, Pelfrey, Ibanez Week In Review: 12/1/13 - 12/7/13 AL East Notes: Price, Orioles, Axford, Hinske Astros Sign Scott Feldman Yankees Open To Trading Ichiro Suzuki
Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors