Baseball lost George Steinbrenner this week, easily its most recognizable owner, and the National League won its first All Star Game in what feels like an eternity (actually 13 years). Let's look back at the week that was...
- This week's big trade featured the Blue Jays and Braves swapping shortstops. Toronto received Yunel Escobar and Jo-Jo Reyes, Atlanta Alex Gonzalez, Tim Collins, and Tyler Pastornicky. Clearly, one team was looking ahead while the other was looking at the present. Reactions to the deal were pretty split.
- The Cardinals gave GM John Mozeliak a three-year contract extension, while Cubs' GM Jim Hendry got a vote of confidence from his team's chairman.
- Several teams are interested in Corey Hart, including the Giants, Rays, and Padres.The Brewers asked San Francisco for Jonathan Sanchez or Madison Bumgarner in exchange for the slugger. The Braves are interested in another righty hitting outfielder, Cody Ross of the Marlins.
- The Padres might need some pitching in addition to an outfielder, and they do not want any rental players. San Diego has not yet had any contract talks with Adrian Gonzalez, and unsurprisingly the Red Sox maintain interest in the star first baseman.
- The Blue Jays made Scott Downs, Jason Frasor, and Kevin Gregg available, and should certainly get some bites. The Reds were looking for some right-handed relief help, so they signed Russ Springer. The Giants and Mariners went to the scrap heap for pitching help, signing Dontrelle Willis and Jamey Wright, respectively.
- The Rockies are looking to add several pieces before the deadline, and have interest in Dan Uggla. The Marlins are likely to keep their second baseman, however. The Dodgers have no intentions of trading Matt Kemp, and Nationals' GM Mike Rizzo doesn't like the offers he's received for Adam Dunn.
- The Orioles are close to hiring Buck Showalter to manage the team, but no official announcement has been made. Orioles' executive Andy MacPhail said that he would be willing to trade his young players, but it would be hard to give them up. Talks with the Phillies about Ty Wigginton and Miguel Tejada are dead.
- The Red Sox have in fact exceeded the luxury tax threshold, which may impact their willingness to take on money at the deadline. They were discussing David DeJesus with the Royals before the news broke, however. David Ortiz is looking for a contract extension.
- The Yankees have their eye on Marlins' utility man Wes Helms, but their crosstown rivals might not make a move to add a pitcher after all. They did try to swap Oliver Perez for Gil Meche, however.
- Philadelphia doesn't expect to add any pitching, and a reunion with Pedro Martinez appears unlikely.
- The Mariners signed a trio of international prospects, while the Blue Jays signed a pair of their own.
- Here's the crop of players that were removed from their team's roster in some way: Dane Sardinha by the Phillies, George Sherrill by the Dodgers, Nelson Figueroa by the Phillies, Armando Benitez by the Marlins, Mike Redmond by the Indians, Fernando Cabrera by the Red Sox, Juan Castro by the Phillies, Mike Lamb by the Marlins, Nick Green by the Blue Jays, Anderson Hernandez by the Indians, Gustavo Molina by the Red Sox, and Casey Daigle by the Astros.
- Ben Nicholson-Smith wrapped up our series on The 2010 Trade Market.
Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Cardinals Extend Matt Carpenter Diamondbacks Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Quick Hits: Schierholtz, Diaz, Smoak, McGrady AL East Notes: Sizemore, Machado, Cervelli Braves Could Make Run At Ervin Santana Diamondbacks Outright Santos Rodriguez Offseason In Review: San Francisco Giants Minor Moves: Martinez, Erbe, Liz, Olmsted Offseason In Review: New York Yankees NL East Notes: Beachy, Santana, Braves, Mets Braves Acquire Zach Stewart Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Out Of Options Players: AL East Morosi's Latest: Jays, Tigers, Rockies, Pineda, JDA Offseason In Review: Pittsburgh Pirates Twins Still Have Offer Out To Ervin Santana Quick Hits: Orioles, Nationals, Manaea, White Sox
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors