Compared to the rest of the week, today has been relatively quiet, but there was still a steady flow of news and rumors. Here's what has happened since yesterday's Day in Review post:
- The day began with the 2010 Rule 5 Draft. The Pirates took Josh Rodriguez from the Indians with the first overall pick and other clubs selected 18 other players later on.
- The day ended with news of the Reds' six-year, $51MM agreement with Jay Bruce.
- Miguel Olivo became the most recent catcher to sign a lucrative multiyear deal, as he agreed to a two-year, $7MM contract with the Mariners.
- Seattle was busy today; they also offered a contract to Laynce Nix.
- The Astros created some more competition for their rotation by adding a former Mariner, agreeing to a deal with Ryan Rowland-Smith.
- The Pirates acquired Cesar Valdez from the Diamondbacks to complete the Zach Duke trade.
- A number of deals moved forward today. The Orioles officially acquired J.J. Hardy and Brendan Harris from the Twins, the Dodgers officially signed Vicente Padilla, the Pirates reached an agreement with Scott Olsen, the O's reached an agreement with Koji Uehara and the Mets announced their deals with Ronny Paulino and D.J. Carrasco.
- We also heard that the Red Sox aren't as aren't as close to extending their new first baseman as it seemed. Adrian Gonzalez says he doesn't have an extension in place with the Red Sox.
- Boston continues to be aggressive; the Red Sox are considered the frontrunners for Russell Martin.
- The Cliff Lee saga continued, as the Yankees offered a number of deals and the Rangers visited the left-hander at his home in Arkansas. Lee could make a decision soon.
- The Brewers continue to show interest in Carl Pavano, but they don't want to offer more than two years.
- Luring Pavano to Milwuakee could be a challenge, but he's not the only pitcher the Brewers are going to talk to. They will begin extension talks with new addition Shaun Marcum.
- The Twins, one of the teams with interest in Pavano, would consider trading Kevin Slowey.
- There's mutual interest between Adam LaRoche and the Orioles.
- The Pirates may be moving closer to a deal for Kenshin Kawakami.
- The Michael Young rumors slowed down.
- The Rockies are hoping to extend Carlos Gonzalez, but negotiating a long-term deal with the Scott Boras client may not be easy.
- We also learned that the Cardinals consider Gregg Zaun a fallback option and that the Cubs remain interested in Brandon Webb.
Nationals Designate Yunesky Maya For AssignmentMariners Designate Robert Andino For Assignment Orioles Designate Alex Burnett For Assignment Indians Designate David Huff For Assignment Marlins Release Jon Rauch Derek Lowe Clears Waivers Cubs Claim Eduardo Sanchez Mets Sign David Aardsma Cubs Designate Michael Bowden For Assignment Blue Jays Claim Thad Weber Angels Claim Chris Nelson
Current Free Agents 2014 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings 2014 MLB Free Agents 2015 MLB Free Agents 2013 Draft Order Transaction Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle MLBTR Forums Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
NL Notes: Amarista, Nationals, Morse, Krol Nationals Designate Yunesky Maya For Assignment Mariners Designate Robert Andino For Assignment Central Notes: Reds, Cubs, Morneau Minor Moves: Dan Klein, Zach Braddock, Royce Ring Draft Links: Manaea, McGuire, Prep Catchers East Links: Braves, Nolin, Wheeler, Wada Baseball Blogs Weigh In: Walker, Hughes, Vogelsong The Best Spring Training Additions Of 2013 Quick Hits: Beltran, D'Backs, Montero, Draft, Cashner AL Central Links: Indians, Moore, Schneider NL East Notes: Utley, Amaro, Rizzo, Braves Managerial Notes: Mattingly, Nationals, Roenicke Mets Links: Davis, Wheeler, Bargain Signings Dodgers Notes: Ethier, Mattingly, Puig, Pederson
Avoiding The Qualifying Offer Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors