Compared to the rest of the week, today has been relatively quiet, but there was still a steady flow of news and rumors. Here's what has happened since yesterday's Day in Review post:
- The day began with the 2010 Rule 5 Draft. The Pirates took Josh Rodriguez from the Indians with the first overall pick and other clubs selected 18 other players later on.
- The day ended with news of the Reds' six-year, $51MM agreement with Jay Bruce.
- Miguel Olivo became the most recent catcher to sign a lucrative multiyear deal, as he agreed to a two-year, $7MM contract with the Mariners.
- Seattle was busy today; they also offered a contract to Laynce Nix.
- The Astros created some more competition for their rotation by adding a former Mariner, agreeing to a deal with Ryan Rowland-Smith.
- The Pirates acquired Cesar Valdez from the Diamondbacks to complete the Zach Duke trade.
- A number of deals moved forward today. The Orioles officially acquired J.J. Hardy and Brendan Harris from the Twins, the Dodgers officially signed Vicente Padilla, the Pirates reached an agreement with Scott Olsen, the O's reached an agreement with Koji Uehara and the Mets announced their deals with Ronny Paulino and D.J. Carrasco.
- We also heard that the Red Sox aren't as aren't as close to extending their new first baseman as it seemed. Adrian Gonzalez says he doesn't have an extension in place with the Red Sox.
- Boston continues to be aggressive; the Red Sox are considered the frontrunners for Russell Martin.
- The Cliff Lee saga continued, as the Yankees offered a number of deals and the Rangers visited the left-hander at his home in Arkansas. Lee could make a decision soon.
- The Brewers continue to show interest in Carl Pavano, but they don't want to offer more than two years.
- Luring Pavano to Milwuakee could be a challenge, but he's not the only pitcher the Brewers are going to talk to. They will begin extension talks with new addition Shaun Marcum.
- The Twins, one of the teams with interest in Pavano, would consider trading Kevin Slowey.
- There's mutual interest between Adam LaRoche and the Orioles.
- The Pirates may be moving closer to a deal for Kenshin Kawakami.
- The Michael Young rumors slowed down.
- The Rockies are hoping to extend Carlos Gonzalez, but negotiating a long-term deal with the Scott Boras client may not be easy.
- We also learned that the Cardinals consider Gregg Zaun a fallback option and that the Cubs remain interested in Brandon Webb.
Diamondbacks To Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Quick Hits: Perez, Pineda, Mariners, Ramirez, A's Minor Moves: Wil Ledezma Diamondbacks To Sign Oliver Perez Ervin Santana Seeks To Sign One-Year Deal Before Opening Day NL Central Notes: Carpenter, Neshek, Phillips, Cubs Diamondbacks, Oliver Perez Nearing Multi-Year Deal Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Padres Claim Alex Castellanos Luke Hochevar To Undergo Tommy John Surgery Royals Release Brad Penny Ervin Santana's Representation Currently Unsettled AL Central Notes: Masterson, De Aza, Santana, Tigers NL West Notes: Jobe, Maybin, Headley, Betancourt 2013-14 Article XX(B) Free Agents Out Of Options Players: NL West
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors