- Rangers owner Chuck Greenberg announced on a conference call that the team made Lee an offer for an unspecified amount, according to Anthony Andro of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram (all Twitter links). The lefty is now weighing his options and the Rangers feel good about their chances. Like the Yankees, the Rangers offered Lee a "menu" of choices, Greenberg said (Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News reporting on Twitter).
- The Rangers expect to know by tonight whether they'll be able to sign Lee or not, according to MLB.com's T.R. Sulivan.
- The Rangers asked Braunecker what it'd take to sign Lee, according to Crasnick. The agent, who obviously has the upper hand, instead told the Rangers they'll have to make their best offer.
- The Yankees have presented Lee with an assortment of contract choices, writes Sherman. He believes the bids are something like five years for $125MM ($25MM per), six years for $144MM ($24MM per), and seven years for $161MM ($23MM per). I have a feeling this will reach its resolution with Lee signing the largest pitching contract ever.
- The Rangers requested the Arkansas meeting and plan to increase their offer beyond five years, tweets Rosenthal. The Rangers are "adding any perk necessary" to please Lee and his family, tweets Yahoo's Steve Henson.
- Crasnick reports that the Yankees' new seven-year offer has a lower average annual value than the $23.3MM of their previous one. So this offer could be worth less than Sabathia's contract.
- The Rangers are sending a contingent to meet with Lee and agent Darek Braunecker in the pitcher's hometown of Little Rock, Arkansas, reports ESPN's Jerry Crasnick. This will mark the team's third trip to Arkansas. The Rangers are sending owner Chuck Greenberg and assistant GM Thad Levine, tweets Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
- Angels GM Tony Reagins acknowledged interest in Lee, tweets Rosenthal.
- The Lee talks might drag through the weekend, tweets Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports.
- The Yankees have just gone to a seventh year for Lee, tweets SI's Jon Heyman. With Carl Crawford and Jayson Werth getting deals of that length, it'd be hard to sign Lee without matching. The Yanks' previous offer was reported to be six years and $140MM, so this one could nudge Lee past C.C. Sabathia for the largest contract ever given to a pitcher.
Full Story | Comments (0) | Categories: Cliff Lee | Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim | New York Yankees | Texas Rangers
Rockies Acquire Brett Anderson D-Backs Acquire Mark Trumbo In Three-Team Deal With Angels, White Sox White Sox Sign Felipe Paulino Roy Halladay To Retire Marlins To Sign Garrett Jones Astros Sign Chad Qualls Yankees To Sign Carlos Beltran Red Sox To Re-Sign Mike Napoli Nationals To Sign Nate McLouth Rangers To Sign J.P. Arencibia Astros Sign Scott Feldman Mets Sign Curtis Granderson Mariners To Sign Robinson Cano Yankees To Re-Sign Hiroki Kuroda Orioles To Sign Francisco Peguero Orioles To Sign Ryan Webb Marlins To Sign Rafael Furcal White Sox To Sign Ronald Belisario Dodgers Re-Sign Brian Wilson Red Sox To Sign Edward Mujica Royals Acquire Norichika Aoki Yankees To Sign Kelly Johnson Cubs Sign Wesley Wright White Sox Re-Sign Paul Konerko Rockies To Sign Justin Morneau Yankees Agree To Sign Jacoby Ellsbury Marlins Sign Jarrod Saltalamacchia Astros Acquire Dexter Fowler
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Yankees Acquire Kyle Haynes To Complete Chris Stewart Trade MLB, NPB Reach Agreement On Posting System Latest On Justin Masterson David Price Wouldn't Sign Extension With Mariners Matt Garza Could Sign Within 48 Hours Shin-Soo Choo Rumors: Wednesday Indians Rumors: Jimenez, Outfielders Reds Not Closing Door On Brandon Phillips Trade Corey Hart Weighing Options Relief Rumors: Lefties, Axford, Papelbon, Benoit, Guerrier, Rays Logan Morrison Rumors: Wednesday Twins, Mets, Reds Pursuing Arroyo; Pirates Out Twins Eyeing Garza, Arroyo, Colon, Pelfrey Royals, Two Other Teams Talking With Omar Infante Justin Ruggiano, Greg Dobbs On Trade Block?
Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors