- Rangers owner Chuck Greenberg announced on a conference call that the team made Lee an offer for an unspecified amount, according to Anthony Andro of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram (all Twitter links). The lefty is now weighing his options and the Rangers feel good about their chances. Like the Yankees, the Rangers offered Lee a "menu" of choices, Greenberg said (Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News reporting on Twitter).
- The Rangers expect to know by tonight whether they'll be able to sign Lee or not, according to MLB.com's T.R. Sulivan.
- The Rangers asked Braunecker what it'd take to sign Lee, according to Crasnick. The agent, who obviously has the upper hand, instead told the Rangers they'll have to make their best offer.
- The Yankees have presented Lee with an assortment of contract choices, writes Sherman. He believes the bids are something like five years for $125MM ($25MM per), six years for $144MM ($24MM per), and seven years for $161MM ($23MM per). I have a feeling this will reach its resolution with Lee signing the largest pitching contract ever.
- The Rangers requested the Arkansas meeting and plan to increase their offer beyond five years, tweets Rosenthal. The Rangers are "adding any perk necessary" to please Lee and his family, tweets Yahoo's Steve Henson.
- Crasnick reports that the Yankees' new seven-year offer has a lower average annual value than the $23.3MM of their previous one. So this offer could be worth less than Sabathia's contract.
- The Rangers are sending a contingent to meet with Lee and agent Darek Braunecker in the pitcher's hometown of Little Rock, Arkansas, reports ESPN's Jerry Crasnick. This will mark the team's third trip to Arkansas. The Rangers are sending owner Chuck Greenberg and assistant GM Thad Levine, tweets Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
- Angels GM Tony Reagins acknowledged interest in Lee, tweets Rosenthal.
- The Lee talks might drag through the weekend, tweets Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports.
- The Yankees have just gone to a seventh year for Lee, tweets SI's Jon Heyman. With Carl Crawford and Jayson Werth getting deals of that length, it'd be hard to sign Lee without matching. The Yanks' previous offer was reported to be six years and $140MM, so this one could nudge Lee past C.C. Sabathia for the largest contract ever given to a pitcher.
Full Story | Comments (0) | Categories: Cliff Lee | Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim | New York Yankees | Texas Rangers
Pirates To Sign Reese McGuire Mets To Promote Zack Wheeler Yankees To Sign Ian Clarkin Rays Promote Wil Myers Brewers Sign Devin Williams Dodgers Claim John Baker Mets Designate Collin McHugh For Assignment Astros To Sign Mark Appel Marlins Sign Colby Suggs Marlins Place Miguel Olivo On Restricted List Padres Sign 2nd Round Pick Dustin Peterson Pirates Designate Mike Zagurski For Assignment Indians To Sign Clint Frazier Mariners Sign Henry Blanco; Designate Kelly Shoppach For Assignment Dodgers Designate Ramon Hernandez For Assignment Padres Designate James Darnell For Assignment Tigers Sign Jonathon Crawford Padres Acquire Pedro Ciriaco Rockies Sign Alex Balog Phillies Sign Andrew Knapp Pirates Release Jose Contreras Indians Sign Clay Rapada Giants Designate Ramon Ramirez For Assignment
Current Free Agents 2014 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings 2014 MLB Free Agents 2015 MLB Free Agents 2013 Draft Order Transaction Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle MLBTR Forums Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Quick Hits: Appel, Padres, Jimenez, 2014 Draft Cubs Sign Second-Round Pick Rob Zastryzny Draft Signings: Healy, Finnegan, Williams, Heim NL East Links: Papelbon, Tigers, Amaro, Upton AL East Notes: Cashman, Red Sox, Myers, Orioles Cardinals Sign Oscar Mercado To Over-Slot Deal Minor Moves: Stange, Ruiz, Carter, Torra Astros Sign Second-Round Pick Andrew Thurman Pirates To Sign Reese McGuire Mets To Promote Zack Wheeler Rangers Sign Dominican Lefty Francis Cespedes Mets Sign Second-Rounder Andrew Church Tigers Sign Comp Pick Corey Knebel Mark Teahen Signs With York Revolution Mets Intend To Keep Parnell
Avoiding The Qualifying Offer Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors