February 2nd isn't just known for groundhogs looking at their shadows or Bill Murray getting stuck in time warps. Some notable moves have taken place as well...
- The Blue Jays signed Kevin Gregg one year ago today. The one-year, $2.75MM contract (with two option years) was seen as a surprising move for the Jays given that they weren't expected to spend money on a closer, but Gregg delivered a solid season at the back of the Toronto bullpen. Gregg rebuilt enough value to become a Type B free agent, and thus netted the Jays a compensation round draft pick when they declined his options and the right-hander signed with Baltimore.
- On this day in 2009, the Mets signed Oliver Perez to a three-year, $36MM contract that will go down as one of the worst deals in the history of the franchise. Perez has a 6.81 ERA in 31 games (21 of them starts) over the last two seasons, battling injuries and raising the ire of fans, Mets management and his own teammates when he refused a minor league assignment last year.
- The Mets made a better pitching transaction the year prior, acquiring Johan Santana from the Twins for a package of four prospects. Santana signed a new six-year, $137.5MM deal with New York and has delivered a 2.85 ERA and 3.02 K/BB ratio in 88 starts for the team. Santana's performance dipped a bit last year, however, and he will be out until next summer after undergoing left shoulder surgery. As for Minnesota, only one of the four prospects they got back for Santana is still with the organization -- minor league right-hander Deolis Guerra. The Twins released Philip Humber and dealt Kevin Mulvey and Carlos Gomez for Jon Rauch and J.J. Hardy, respectively. Those two players, Rauch especially, played key roles in the Twins' back-to-back AL Central titles.
- Sammy Sosa officially parted ways with the Cubs when he was traded to the Orioles in 2005 in exchange for Mike Fontenot, Jerry Hairston Jr. and Dave Crouthers. That deal was finalized on this day six years ago, and Sosa proceeded to deliver just a .671 OPS in his lone season with the O's.
- After cracking the 50-homer plateau in 1998, Greg Vaughn was dealt from the NL champion Padres (along with Mark Sweeney) to Cincinnati in exchange for Reggie Sanders, Damian Jackson and Josh Harris on this day in 1999. Vaughn became the first player in history to be swapped after a 50-homer season, and he followed his big year up with 45 homers for the Reds in 1999 before leaving for free agency and a deal with Tampa Bay. Sanders had a tremendous 1999 season himself, posting a .904 OPS that actually topped Vaughn (.881 OPS) that year.
- Soon after the St. Louis Browns became the Baltimore Orioles, the franchise released Satchel Paige on this day in 1954. Paige had a 3.28 ERA over the previous two seasons with the Browns and was coming off two All-Star appearances, but the legendary Negro Leagues star was 47 years old (though Paige's age was always in some dispute). Paige pitched minor league ball in the Phillies' system from 1956-58, started five games for Portland of the PCL in 1961 and then, incredibly, returned to the majors in 1965 to start one game for the Kansas City A's. At age 54, Paige pitched three scoreless innings against Boston, holding the Red Sox to one hit.
- Also of note, it was on this day in 1936 that the inaugural Hall of Fame class was announced. Ty Cobb, Walter Johnson, Christy Mathewson, Babe Ruth and Honus Wagner were the first five players to be inducted to Cooperstown.
Blue Jays Claim Thad Weber Athletics Designate Daric Barton For Assignment Angels Claim Chris Nelson, Designate Scott Cousins Yankees Designate Alberto Gonzalez For Assignment Yankees Acquire Reid Brignac Marlins Designate Jon Rauch For Assignment Padres Designate Thad Weber For Assignment Athletics Designate Chris Resop For Assignment Rockies Designate Reid Brignac For Assignment Angels Designate Barry Enright For Assignment Yankees Designate Chris Nelson For Assignment Dodgers To Sign Jonathan Sanchez Marlins Release David Aardsma Phillies Sign Carlos Zambrano Rays Sign Cory Wade Mets To Sign Rick Ankiel
Current Free Agents 2014 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings 2014 MLB Free Agents 2015 MLB Free Agents 2013 Draft Order Transaction Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle MLBTR Forums Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Minor Moves: Barry Enright, Bill Hall Blue Jays Claim Thad Weber West Notes: Kershaw, Rockies, Rangers, Astros Quick Hits: Cardinals, Braves, Starting Pitching Market Rays Notes: Price, Odorizzi, Loney, Johnson Draft Notes: Astros, Renfroe, Appel Central Notes: Twins, Reynolds, Gomes, Choo Minor Moves: Wilson, Beimel, Parraz, Velazquez, Bell East Notes: Braves, Mets, Ellsbury, Yankees West Notes: Chavez, Astros, Angels, Mattingly Rosenthal On Cubs, Brewers, Marlins Athletics Designate Daric Barton For Assignment Angels Claim Chris Nelson, Designate Scott Cousins NL Notes: Stauffer, Phillies, Cubs, Hairston Yankees Designate Alberto Gonzalez
Avoiding The Qualifying Offer Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors