Let's catch up on the latest links relating to the first-place Yankees and the last-place Mets….
- Mike Vaccaro of the New York Post argues that Jose Reyes is the kind of player the Mets should be building around, and that cutting ties with him via trade or free agency would be risky.
- John Harper of the New York Daily News takes a similar stance, pointing out that, given the lack of star shortstops around baseball, Reyes is "too valuable not to be part of the Mets' future."
- Within a piece about slow starters, Joel Sherman of the New York Post says he talked to 12 scouts or officials and not a single one believes Derek Jeter will "approach his old self."
- Despite his recent struggles, Boone Logan, the only lefty in the Yankees' bullpen, received a vote of confidence from manager Joe Girardi, writes Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News.
- Newsday's Ken Davidoff says Jason Pridie exemplifies the sort of roster depth the Mets will need if they're going to have any chance of contending.