On this day in 2004, the Royals completed a three-team deal that sent Carlos Beltran to the Astros. The Athletics were the third party in the transaction and bagged Octavio Dotel from Houston. The Royals, meanwhile, received Mark Teahen, John Buck, Mike Wood, and cash considerations..
- A fun fact courtesy of ESPNNewYork.com's Adam Rubin (via Twitter): Mets manager Terry Collins is tied with Braves skipper Fredi Gonzalez for second-most managerial seniority in the NL East with their current team.
- Mark Cuban’s interest in buying the Dodgers should make Padres fans nervous, writes Tim Sullivan of the San Diego Union-Tribune. Sullivan believes that Cuban has the forward-thinking mindset and deep pockets to shift the balance of power in the NL West.
- Mariners GM Jack Zduriencik has a chance to win right now and needs to make a move to bolster the offense, writes Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times.
- Pedro Martinez isn't ready to announce his retirement just yet, according to Enrique Rojas of ESPNDeportes.com (Spanish link). Martinez also says that he envisions himself in a Sandy Koufax-type role with a club.
- The Giants could use an offensive infusion as the deadline approaches, writes Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com.