Some news from the AL East….
- Team sources tell Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston that Ben Cherington is "extremely high" on Dale Sveum. The former Red Sox third base coach is one of five candidates that appear to be the finalists to be Boston's new manager. Edes guesses that Cherington may have already settled on his choice and "is just going through the process" for the sake of due diligence.
- We heard yesterday from SI's Jon Heyman that Jorge Posada could sign with the Orioles or Marlins if he decides to keep playing, but Steve Melewski of MASNsports.com doesn't see Posada in Baltimore "under any circumstances" next year. I agree with Melewski; it's hard to imagine Posada wanting to spend his probable last season as a bench player for a non-contender.
- Bob Klapisch of the Record lays out the case for Posada to retire.
- Blue Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos enters this offseason with much more "clarity" about the state of his team after spending two years remaking the roster, writes Rogers Sportsnet's Shi Davidi.
- Melvin Mora tells Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun that he wants to return to the Orioles. If not Baltimore, Mora wants to play on the East Coast to be near his wife and six children.