Here's a look back at the top stories from the first day of the 2011 Winter Meetings (dating back to Sunday evening):
- The Marlins proved they meant business with their big name free agent pursuits when they reeled in Jose Reyes on a six-year, $106MM contract that will likely push franchise cornerstone Hanley Ramirez over to third base. Incredibly, the Mets will only receive Miami's third-round pick (at best) plus a supplemental rounder as compensation for Reyes.
- You'd think that would be it for the Marlins, but they've got a reported ten-year offer on the table to Albert Pujols. That number has to make Cardinals fans nervous.
- The Angels have emerged as the front-runners for C.J. Wilson, but the Marlins are in on him as well. The Rangers are set to make their first formal offer today, and the Nationals have shown interest as well.
- Wilson isn't Washington's top priority though; that honor goes to Mark Buehrle, who also has offers from the Rangers, the Marlins (surprise!), the Twins (actual surprise!), and a mystery team.
- Prince Fielder just doesn't seem to be a good fit anywhere. Currently, the Orioles and Mariners have shown some degree of interest, while the Dodgers and Brewers likely can't afford him.
- The Phillies' first meeting with Jimmy Rollins' agent Dan Lozano didn't go well. The Phils would love Rollins back, but not at five years, which has led them to pursue Aramis Ramirez as a backup plan. They're shopping Placido Polanco to make that fit more logical.
- The Twins re-signed Matt Capps to a one-year, $4.5MM deal with a $6MM club option ($250K buyout). Minnesota could've netted a free supplemental round pick by letting Capps sign elsewhere.
- The Dodgers signed Jerry Hairston Jr. to a two-year, $6MM deal and are nearing another two-year pact with Aaron Harang, believed to be worth around $12MM.
- Rays executive VP of baseball operations Andrew Friedman has decided against becoming the next general manager of the Astros. Friedman, a Houston native, was said to be their top choice.
- The Red Sox and Athletics will meet on Tuesday to discuss a potential Andrew Bailey trade.
- I'd be remiss not to mention the return of Manny Ramirez to the baseball world. Ramirez has filed for reinstatement and will only be required to serve a 50-game suspension, should a team decide that gambling on the upside of his bat is worth the front row seat to the "Manny Being Manny" show.
Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Cardinals Extend Matt Carpenter Diamondbacks Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
AL Notes: Kipnis, Sizemore, Mulder Ervin Santana Rumors: Tuesday NL Notes: Taveras, Stutes, Flores, Cervelli Minor Moves: Rodriguez, Stutes, Hester, Carson, Olmsted Offseason In Review: Chicago White Sox Out Of Options Players: NL East MLBTR Chat Transcript Orioles Notes: Machado, Extensions, Santana, Schoop Kris Medlen Believed To Have Ligament Damage Angels Release Mark Mulder Central Links: Diaz, Scherzer, Capuano, Indians, Coke Quick Hits: Schierholtz, Diaz, Smoak, McGrady AL East Notes: Sizemore, Machado, Cervelli Braves Could Make Run At Ervin Santana Diamondbacks Outright Santos Rodriguez
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors