Here's a look back at the top stories from the first day of the 2011 Winter Meetings (dating back to Sunday evening):
- The Marlins proved they meant business with their big name free agent pursuits when they reeled in Jose Reyes on a six-year, $106MM contract that will likely push franchise cornerstone Hanley Ramirez over to third base. Incredibly, the Mets will only receive Miami's third-round pick (at best) plus a supplemental rounder as compensation for Reyes.
- You'd think that would be it for the Marlins, but they've got a reported ten-year offer on the table to Albert Pujols. That number has to make Cardinals fans nervous.
- The Angels have emerged as the front-runners for C.J. Wilson, but the Marlins are in on him as well. The Rangers are set to make their first formal offer today, and the Nationals have shown interest as well.
- Wilson isn't Washington's top priority though; that honor goes to Mark Buehrle, who also has offers from the Rangers, the Marlins (surprise!), the Twins (actual surprise!), and a mystery team.
- Prince Fielder just doesn't seem to be a good fit anywhere. Currently, the Orioles and Mariners have shown some degree of interest, while the Dodgers and Brewers likely can't afford him.
- The Phillies' first meeting with Jimmy Rollins' agent Dan Lozano didn't go well. The Phils would love Rollins back, but not at five years, which has led them to pursue Aramis Ramirez as a backup plan. They're shopping Placido Polanco to make that fit more logical.
- The Twins re-signed Matt Capps to a one-year, $4.5MM deal with a $6MM club option ($250K buyout). Minnesota could've netted a free supplemental round pick by letting Capps sign elsewhere.
- The Dodgers signed Jerry Hairston Jr. to a two-year, $6MM deal and are nearing another two-year pact with Aaron Harang, believed to be worth around $12MM.
- Rays executive VP of baseball operations Andrew Friedman has decided against becoming the next general manager of the Astros. Friedman, a Houston native, was said to be their top choice.
- The Red Sox and Athletics will meet on Tuesday to discuss a potential Andrew Bailey trade.
- I'd be remiss not to mention the return of Manny Ramirez to the baseball world. Ramirez has filed for reinstatement and will only be required to serve a 50-game suspension, should a team decide that gambling on the upside of his bat is worth the front row seat to the "Manny Being Manny" show.
Athletics Designate Daric Barton For Assignment Angels Claim Chris Nelson, Designate Scott Cousins Yankees Designate Alberto Gonzalez For Assignment Yankees Acquire Reid Brignac Marlins Designate Jon Rauch For Assignment Padres Designate Thad Weber For Assignment Athletics Designate Chris Resop For Assignment Rockies Designate Reid Brignac For Assignment Angels Designate Barry Enright For Assignment Yankees Designate Chris Nelson For Assignment Dodgers To Sign Jonathan Sanchez Marlins Release David Aardsma Phillies Sign Carlos Zambrano Rays Sign Cory Wade Mets To Sign Rick Ankiel Cubs Extend Anthony Rizzo
Current Free Agents 2014 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings 2014 MLB Free Agents 2015 MLB Free Agents 2013 Draft Order Transaction Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle MLBTR Forums Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Central Notes: Twins, Reynolds, Gomes, Choo Minor Moves: Wilson, Beimel, Parraz, Velazquez, Bell East Notes: Braves, Mets, Ellsbury, Yankees West Notes: Chavez, Astros, Angels, Mattingly Rosenthal On Cubs, Brewers, Marlins Athletics Designate Daric Barton For Assignment Angels Claim Chris Nelson, Designate Scott Cousins NL Notes: Stauffer, Phillies, Cubs, Hairston Yankees Designate Alberto Gonzalez Yankees Acquire Reid Brignac Quick Hits: Brignac, Mariners, Odorizzi Contract Extensions Changing The Free Agent Market Marlins Designate Jon Rauch For Assignment AL East Notes: Yankees, Orioles, Ishikawa Twins Release Rafael Perez
Avoiding The Qualifying Offer Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors