Here's a look back at the top stories from the first day of the 2011 Winter Meetings (dating back to Sunday evening):
- The Marlins proved they meant business with their big name free agent pursuits when they reeled in Jose Reyes on a six-year, $106MM contract that will likely push franchise cornerstone Hanley Ramirez over to third base. Incredibly, the Mets will only receive Miami's third-round pick (at best) plus a supplemental rounder as compensation for Reyes.
- You'd think that would be it for the Marlins, but they've got a reported ten-year offer on the table to Albert Pujols. That number has to make Cardinals fans nervous.
- The Angels have emerged as the front-runners for C.J. Wilson, but the Marlins are in on him as well. The Rangers are set to make their first formal offer today, and the Nationals have shown interest as well.
- Wilson isn't Washington's top priority though; that honor goes to Mark Buehrle, who also has offers from the Rangers, the Marlins (surprise!), the Twins (actual surprise!), and a mystery team.
- Prince Fielder just doesn't seem to be a good fit anywhere. Currently, the Orioles and Mariners have shown some degree of interest, while the Dodgers and Brewers likely can't afford him.
- The Phillies' first meeting with Jimmy Rollins' agent Dan Lozano didn't go well. The Phils would love Rollins back, but not at five years, which has led them to pursue Aramis Ramirez as a backup plan. They're shopping Placido Polanco to make that fit more logical.
- The Twins re-signed Matt Capps to a one-year, $4.5MM deal with a $6MM club option ($250K buyout). Minnesota could've netted a free supplemental round pick by letting Capps sign elsewhere.
- The Dodgers signed Jerry Hairston Jr. to a two-year, $6MM deal and are nearing another two-year pact with Aaron Harang, believed to be worth around $12MM.
- Rays executive VP of baseball operations Andrew Friedman has decided against becoming the next general manager of the Astros. Friedman, a Houston native, was said to be their top choice.
- The Red Sox and Athletics will meet on Tuesday to discuss a potential Andrew Bailey trade.
- I'd be remiss not to mention the return of Manny Ramirez to the baseball world. Ramirez has filed for reinstatement and will only be required to serve a 50-game suspension, should a team decide that gambling on the upside of his bat is worth the front row seat to the "Manny Being Manny" show.
Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays Yankees Sign Alfredo Aceves
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
NL Notes: Hamels, Morse, Diamondbacks, Walker Kole Calhoun To Miss Four To Six Weeks Minor Moves: Giants Release Dontrelle Willis Padres Notes: Gyorko, Headley, Cashner Rangers Outright Daniel McCutchen Athletics Claim Marcus Walden Off Waivers From Blue Jays Mets Outright Lannan, Promote Matsuzaka AL West Notes: Astros, Franklin, Walker, Reddick Morales Rejected $30MM Extension Last Summer Astros To Promote George Springer Astros To Designate Lucas Harrell For Assignment Minor Moves: Scott Cousins NL Notes: Johnson, Cubs, Bradley Ryan Zimmerman To Miss Four to Six Weeks Athletics Release Joe Blanton
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors