On this date in 2006, the then-Devil Rays franchise acquired its first Japanese-born player by signing reliever Shinji Mori to a two-year contract worth $1.3MM. They won his negotiating rights through the posting process with a $1MM bid. Mori suffered a major shoulder injury in Spring Training though, so he never actually appeared in a game for Tampa Bay. Here's the latest from the baseball blogosphere…
- McCovey Chronicles thinks the Giants should wait a year before considering an extension for Buster Posey.
- Motor City Bengals says the time is right for the Tigers to extend Justin Verlander.
- Through the Fence Baseball wrote about Michael Bourn and draft pick compensation.
- Pirates Prospects lists some alternatives for the Pirates in case Francisco Liriano's deal falls through.
- South Side Sox wonders if the White Sox should listen to offers for Chris Sale.
- Lookout Landing wrote about the cost of acquiring Justin Upton.
- Baseball News Source says the Mariners should trade Justin Smoak or Mike Carp.
- Mariner Melee ranks some outfield trade targets for the Mariners.
- The Blue Jays Hunter wrote about the Darren Oliver dilemma in Toronto.
- Rising Apple wonders how the Mets will spend the rest of their money.
- The Process Report thinks Chris Archer may be an extension candidate with the Rays.
- Pinstripe Pundits wrote about a Red Sox-Yankees trade for Jarrod Saltalamacchia.
- Baseball Professor explains why the Red Sox will make the playoffs in 2013.
- The True Fan's Sports Blog says the Yankees are overrated.
- Beyond the Box Score analyzed the Hall of Fame voting, specifically the votes that were not revealed publicly.
If you have a suggestion for this feature, Mike can be reached here. Only one email per week, please.