On this date five years ago, the Royals signed Hideo Nomo to a minor league contract with an invitation to Spring Training. The then-39-year-old right-hander had not pitched in MLB since 2005 and missed all of 2007 with arm surgery. Nomo made the team but was released after allowing 14 baserunners and nine runs in 4 1/3 innings spread across three relief appearances. He retired later that summer. Here's the latest from around the web in 2013's first installment of BBWI.
- SF Giants Rumors interviewed Madison Bumgarner.
- Blue Jays Way broke down a 1990 blockbuster between the Blue Jays and Padres.
- MLB Prospect Watch listed teams that match up with the Marlins for a potential Giancarlo Stanton trade.
- Blue Jays Plus looked at the history of top pitchers who were traded in the wake of the R.A. Dickey deal.
- Baseball Professor analyzed Aroldis Chapman's transition to the starting rotation.
- Mike Scioscia's Tragic Illness wrote about the Andre Ethier and Michael Bourn.
- Lasorda's Lair says the Dodgers better receive top prospects if they trade Ethier.
- Wahoo's on First thinks the Indians need rotation help even after signing Brett Myers.
- Disciples of Uecker says the Brewers should look to extend Yovani Gallardo.
- River Ave. Blues took an early look at the Yankees' payroll situation heading into 2014.
- Yanks Go Yard wonders if the Yankees should swoop in to sign Mike Napoli.
- Red Sox Post doesn't think the Red Sox should worry about forfeiting a draft pick for Adam LaRoche.
- BoSox Banter listed some first base targets for the Red Sox.
- MLB Injury News compared Javier Vazquez to Brandon Webb.
- Angels Win ranked the Angels' top 50 prospects.
- Puckett's Pond listed some New Year's resolutions for Twins GM Terry Ryan.
- Cardinals Fan in Cubs Land says the Cardinals are still looking for an Ozzie Smith heir.
If you have a suggestion for this feature, Mike can be reached here. Only one email per week, please.