Let's have a look at the latest talk surrounding the approaching trade deadline season:
- Starting pitching is an active priority for the Orioles, writes Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun. Hurlers that the club is reportedly looking at include Ricky Nolasco (Marlins), Edinson Volquez and Andrew Cashner (Padres), Matt Garza and Scott Feldman (Cubs), Jake Peavy (White Sox), Bud Norris (Astros), and recent Oriole Joe Saunders (currently with the Mariners). The trouble for the O's, according to Connolly, will be coming up with enough prospects that the team can stomach dealing.
- The Giants are most interested in acquiring a starter that the team can control for more than this year, tweets FOX Sports' Jon Paul Morosi. In spite of that preference, Morosi says that San Francisco is interested in popular trade subject Matt Garza.
- The Cubs' Garza is generating a lot of attention given his evident availability and intriguing return from a long DL stint. Paul Swydan of Fangraphs wonders, however, whether the oft-injured Garza is really worth the hype. Swydan says that Garza's overall track record as a solid middle or back-of-the-rotation starter is what teams should expect to be buying, especially since his recent starts have come against some of baseball's weaker-hitting clubs.
- Trade talks are "ongoing" for two prominent members of the Astros, starter Bud Norris and closer Jose Veras, tweets Morosi. Both were recent subjects of MLBTR trade candidate analysis, as Mark Polishuk took a look at Norris and Steve Adams analyzed Veras.
- The most obvious trade in baseball, according to Fangraphs' Dave Cameron, is a deal sending Chase Utley from the Phillies to the Athletics. Cameron argues that Utley is still a highly productive second bagger, and would be a huge upgrade at the spot that the A's most need one.
- With the Braves losing key bench bat Ramiro Pena to season-ending shoulder surgery, MLB.com's Mark Bowman wonders whether the team will be more inclined to seek a third baseman before the trade deadline. While Chris Johnson has hit the ball fantastically, he has been a problem on the defensive side. Meanwhile, the team designated and then traded Johnson's early-season platoon partner, Juan Francisco, earlier in the year.
- The Twins face a difficult choice with 30-year-old closer Glen Perkins, writes ESPN's Buster Olney (on Insider). (Olney expanded upon his tweet yesterday addressing the Perkins situation.) With Perkins' value trending way up -- he sports a 2.12 ERA, has registered 12.4 K/9 against just 2.1 BB/9, and is inked to a very reasonable three-year deal (plus option) -- Minnesota could reap a major return.
Full Story | Comments (0) | Categories: Atlanta Braves | Baltimore Orioles | Chase Utley | Chicago Cubs | Glen Perkins | Houston Astros | Matt Garza | Minnesota Twins | Oakland Athletics | Philadelphia Phillies | San Francisco Giants
Rangers To Sign Shin-Soo Choo Orioles' Deal With Grant Balfour Falls Through Diamondbacks To Extend Brad Ziegler Kevin Youkilis To Sign With Rakuten Golden Eagles Twins To Sign Kurt Suzuki White Sox To Sign Scott Downs Royals Acquire Danny Valencia Twins, Braves Swap Doumit For Gilmartin Marlins Sign Casey McGehee Rockies Acquire Franklin Morales For Jonathan Herrera Rockies Acquire Drew Stubbs Angels To Sign Raul Ibanez Padres To Sign Joaquin Benoit Mariners To Sign Franklin Gutierrez Yankees To Sign Matt Thornton Yankees To Sign Brian Roberts Dodgers To Sign J.P. Howell Astros Sign Matt Albers White Sox, D-Backs Swap Reed For Davidson Braves Sign Gavin Floyd Indians To Sign John Axford Cardinals To Sign Mark Ellis Twins To Sign Mike Pelfrey Dodgers To Re-Sign Juan Uribe
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
West Notes: Choo, Astros, Kotsay East Notes: Price, O's, Balfour, Braves, Marlins Central Notes: Castro, Indians, Twins, Hart Brett Pill Reaches Agreement With KIA Tigers More React To Choo Deal Twins' Colabello Rejects Offer To Play In South Korea Minor Moves: Lin, Sanchez, Sosa, Ni, Burriss Reactions To Shin-Soo Choo Signing Baseball Blogs Weigh In: Price, Davidson, Angels Rangers To Sign Shin-Soo Choo Yankees Could Stay In-House For Last Rotation Spots Quick Hits: Castro, Cubs, Balfour, Phillies, Yankees Rakuten Golden Eagles To Sign Kevin Youkilis AL Notes: Youkilis, Angels, Gimenez Latest On Orioles' Closer Situation
Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors