Here are today's minor moves...
- The Yankees have signed infielder Brendan Harris, and have assigned him to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, writes Bryan Hoch of MLB.com (on Twitter). The Angels recently designated Harris for assignment, and he cleared waivers and became a free agent. Harris hit .206/.252/.355 in 107 at bats for the Angels this season.
- Former top prospect Brandon Wood has been released by the Orioles, according to Roch Kubatko of MASNsports.com (Twitter link). Wood, 28, was ranked as a Top 10 prospect according to Baseball America prior to the 2006 and 2007 seasons. However, his prodigious power never carried over to the Majors, and strikeouts were a serious problem. In 751 Major League plate appearances, Wood hit just .186/.225/.289, and his .215/.250/.309 batting line in 198 Triple-A plate appearances this season wasn't much better. Wood hasn't appeared in the bigs since 2011.
- The Phillies have announced that catcher Humberto Quintero has cleared waivers and elected free agency after being designated for assignment by the team earlier in the week. In a small sample size of 68 plate appearances, Quintero batted .250/.294/.406 with a pair of homers. The 33-year-old Venezuelan has appeared in parts of 11 Major League seasons with the Astros, Padres, Royals and Phillies.
- Former Cubs right-hander Esmailin Caridad has signed with the Samsung Lions of the Korean Baseball Organization, according to Dan Kurtz of MyKBO.net (on Twitter). The 29-year-old pitched for the Cubs in 2009-10 but hadn't appeared in the Majors since. Caridad has spent the three seasons since pitching between Double-A and Triple-A in the Cubs' organization and has a career ERA of 4.33 with 7.0 K/9 and 3.4 BB/9 in 436 2/3 minor league innings.
- Seven players currently reside in DFA limbo: Ted Lilly of the Dodgers, Billy Buckner of the Angels, Hunter Strickland of the Giants, Brandon Inge of the Pirates, Carlos Pena and Ronny Cedeno of the Astros, and Chris Dickerson of the Orioles.
Charlie Wilmoth contributed to this post.
Full Story | Comments (0) | Categories: Brendan Harris | Humberto Quintero | New York Yankees | Philadelphia Phillies | Transactions
Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Cardinals Extend Matt Carpenter Diamondbacks Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
NL Notes: Taveras, Stutes, Flores, Cervelli Minor Moves: Rodriguez, Stutes, Hester, Carson, Olmsted Ervin Santana Rumors: Tuesday Offseason In Review: Chicago White Sox Out Of Options Players: NL East MLBTR Chat Transcript Orioles Notes: Machado, Extensions, Santana, Schoop Kris Medlen Believed To Have Ligament Damage Angels Release Mark Mulder Central Links: Diaz, Scherzer, Capuano, Indians, Coke Quick Hits: Schierholtz, Diaz, Smoak, McGrady AL East Notes: Sizemore, Machado, Cervelli Braves Could Make Run At Ervin Santana Diamondbacks Outright Santos Rodriguez Offseason In Review: San Francisco Giants
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors