- Phillies Extend Grady Sizemore For 2015
- Braves Name John Hart President Of Baseball Operations
- Phillies Extend Jerome Williams For 2015
- Brian Roberts To Retire
- Rangers Hire Jeff Banister As Manager
- Dodgers Hire Andrew Friedman As President Of Baseball Operations
- Diamondbacks Hire Chip Hale As Manager
- Orioles Extend J.J. Hardy
- Jeff Bridich Named Rockies GM; O'Dowd, Geivett Step Down
- Josh Beckett To Retire
- Yasmany Tomas Declared Free Agent
- Astros Hire A.J. Hinch As Manager
- Twins Remove Ron Gardenhire From Manager Role
- Reds Extend GM Walt Jocketty
- Diamondbacks Fire Kirk Gibson, Alan Trammell
- Diamondbacks Hire Dave Stewart As GM
- Mets To Extend Sandy Alderson, Retain Terry Collins
- Yankees Claim Eury Perez
- Hoops Rumors
- Pro Football Rumors
- Trade Rumors iOS App
- Trade Rumors Android App
- MLBTR Podcast
- 2014-15 MLB Free Agent Tracker
- 2014-15 Offseason Outlooks
- 2014-15 Free Agent Profiles
- Reverse Standings
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2015 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings
- 2016 MLB Free Agent List
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- MLBTR iPad/iPhone App
- MLBTR Android App
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- MLBTR Mobile
- MLBTR On Kindle
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- MLB Trade Rumors Podcast: Episode 3
- Miguel Cabrera, Adam Wainwright Undergo Surgery
- Latest On Joe Maddon
- Royals Designate Liam Hendriks For Assignment
- Victor Martinez To Seek Four-Year Deal
- Kevin Towers Likely To Join Reds’ Front Office
- Royals Claim Moises Sierra From White Sox
- Offseason Outlook: Tampa Bay Rays
- Free Agent Profile: Alex Rios
- Orioles Outright Steve Johnson
- Joe Maddon Opts Out Of Contract With Rays
- Offseason Outlook: Seattle Mariners
- Dodgers Hire Andrew Friedman As President Of Baseball Operations
- Introducing The Trade Rumors App
- AL Notes: Provas, Beimel, Correa, Shields, Royals
MLBTR Mailing List
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Blaine Boyer Rumors
The Mets have designated Blaine Boyer for assignment according to Peter Botte of The New York Daily News (on Twitter). The team also sent down outfielder Lucas Duda and recalled right-handers Ryota Igarashi and Jason Isringhausen.
Boyer, 29, beat out Izzy for the final spot in the Mets' bullpen in camp but failed to impress. He pitched to a 7.71 ERA and a 2.14 WHIP in 4 2/3 innings, and that was before his four run, two inning outing this afternoon. Isringhausen agreed to remain with the team in Extended Spring Training before the season started.
Boyer was selected as a non-tender candidate by MLBTR's Tim Dierkes in November, and indeed, the 29-year-old reliever was non-tendered by Arizona last month. Boyer posted a 4.26 ERA in 54 appearances with the D'Backs in 2010, and had a perfectly matched K/BB ratio (29 strikeouts, 29 walks). On the plus side, he's a hard-thrower with one of the best groundball rates in the game.
This post will list all the National League players non-tendered today, but the best place to track all 200+ arbitration eligible players is our new non-tender tracker.
- Rockies: Manny Delcarmen
- Mets: Sean Green Chris Carter, John Maine
- Nationals: Joel Peralta, Wil Nieves, Chien-Ming Wang
- Dodgers: Russell Martin, George Sherrill, Trent Oeltjen
- Giants: Chris Ray, Eugenio Velez
- Pirates: Lastings Milledge, Argenis Diaz, Donnie Veal, Brian Burres
- Diamondbacks: Blaine Boyer, Ryan Church, Augie Ojeda, D.J. Carrasco
- Marlins: Jose Veras, Ronny Paulino
- Padres: Tony Gwynn, Scott Hairston, Matt Antonelli, Luis Perdomo
- Brewers: Todd Coffey, Joe Inglett
- Astros: Sammy Gervacio
- Braves: Matt Diaz
Full Story | Comments | Categories: Arizona Diamondbacks | Augie Ojeda | Blaine Boyer | Brian Burres | Chien-Ming Wang | Chris Carter | Chris Ray | Colorado Rockies | D.J. Carrasco | Eugenio Velez | George Sherrill | Joe Inglett | Joel Peralta | John Maine | Jose Veras | Lastings Milledge | Los Angeles Dodgers | Luis Perdomo | Manny Delcarmen | Matt Antonelli | Matt Diaz | Miami Marlins | New York Mets | Pittsburgh Pirates | Ronny Paulino | Russell Martin | Ryan Church | San Diego Padres | San Francisco Giants | Scott Hairston | Sean Green | Tony Gwynn Jr. | Transactions | Trent Oeltjen | Washington Nationals | Wil Nieves
As new Diamondbacks GM Kevin Towers looks to remake his bullpen, he may choose to cut 29-year-old right-handed reliever Blaine Boyer loose. Towers will need to decide by the December 2nd non-tender deadline, as Boyer is arbitration eligible for the second time in his career after earning $725K in 2010.
Boyer tossed 57 innings out of Arizona's pen this year, with a 4.26 ERA, 4.6 K/9, 4.6 BB/9, and 0.5 HR/9. His 65.8% groundball rate stood out; that ranked third among all pitchers with at least 50 innings. He also throws hard, averaging a 94.6 mph fastball this year.
Boyer has moved around in his career since coming up with the Braves. The Braves traded him to the Cardinals in April of '09, and then the D'Backs claimed him off waivers two months later after he'd been designated for assignment. Former D'Backs GM Josh Byrnes designated Boyer again in May of this year, but he cleared waivers and was added back to the roster in June.
Boyer's control in 2010 had been horrible prior to his demotion, but an arm slot adjustment led to a 3.7 BB/9 after his recall. That's tolerable, but with so few strikeouts it's tough to make that formula work even with frequent groundballs.
The D'Backs have designated Saul Rivera for assignment to make room for Blaine Boyer, according to the team. The D'Backs acquired Rivera from the Nationals for cash last month, but the right-hander wasn't the solution to Arizona's bullpen woes. Rivera, 32, appeared in four games for the D'Backs and allowed 11 hits and three walks in 3.2 innings, with one strikeout.
As a group, D'Backs relievers have a 7.19 ERA, so the team continues looking for bullpen arms. Boyer, 29 next month, was part of the problem for manager A.J. Hinch early in the season, when he posted a 7.82 ERA in 14 appearances. But the right-hander returned to the minors and pitched well. Boyer walked one and allowed five hits in six innings, striking out nine.
THURSDAY, 10:07pm: Steve Gilbert of MLB.com tweets that Boyer has cleared waivers and will be reassigned to Arizona's Triple-A affiliate in Reno tomorrow.
TUESDAY, 10:05am: The Diamondbacks designated reliever Blaine Boyer for assignment to make room for starter Billy Buckner, tweets MLB.com's Alden Gonzalez. Buckner was recalled from Triple A to make today's start against the Marlins.
Boyer, 28, posted a 7.82 ERA, 4.3 K/9, and 7.8 BB/9 in 12.6 innings for the D'Backs this year. This marks his third time being designated for assignment. The Braves did it in April of '09 before sending him to the Cardinals for Brian Barton. Boyer was designated again in June, at which point Arizona claimed him off waivers.
Links for Friday…
- The D'Backs agreed to a one-year deal with arbitration-eligible righty Blaine Boyer, tweets MLB.com's Steve Gilbert.
- ESPN's Jorge Arangure Jr. analyzes Aroldis Chapman's upcoming bullpen session – does it represent a loss of leverage? Arangure Jr. notes that Chapman received one offer so far – $15.5MM – from the Red Sox back when he was represented by Edwin Mejia.
- SI's Jon Heyman names his winners and losers of the Winter Meetings.
- Royals GM Dayton Moore expects a bigger non-tender group than years past, writes Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star.
- Bruce Miles of the Daily Herald expects the Cubs to tender contracts to Mike Fontenot, Koyie Hill, Sean Marshall, Jeff Baker, and Angel Guzman, but not lefty Neal Cotts. Cotts is coming back from Tommy John surgery, and the Cubs could re-sign him to a minor league deal.
- Joel Sherman of the New York Post criticizes the New York Times for letting his good friend Jack Curry go.
- MLB.com's Carrie Muskat says the Cubs acquired righty Arismendy Mota from the Nationals for cash considerations. Mota was taken by the Nats from the White Sox with the first pick of the Triple A phase of the Rule 5 draft yesterday.
- ESPN's Jerry Crasnick believes that while the free agent dollars are flowing now, "the euphoria will fade after the New Year."
- The Nationals officially announced their two-year deal for Ivan Rodriguez today.
According to the Arizona Republic the D'Backs claimed pitcher Blaine Boyer off waivers from the Cardinals, who designated him for assignment last week. The 27-year-old had a 4.41 ERA in 15 appearances with the Cards. It's been a hectic year for Boyer, who was traded from Atlanta to St. Louis back in April.
According to Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, the Cardinals have designated Blaine Boyer for assignment. Boyer, 28 in July, had allowed 19 baserunners in 16.3 innings, striking out nine.