Weekly email list
- Orioles Agree To Deal With Ariel Miranda
- Right-Hander Norge Ruiz Leaves Cuba, Will Seek Deal With MLB Club
- Smyly Will Not Have Surgery, Is Confident He Can Pitch In 2015
- Hyun-jin Ryu Undergoes Season-Ending Shoulder Surgery
- 2016 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings
- Hyun-jin Ryu To Undergo Shoulder Surgery
- Mariners Acquire Welington Castillo From Cubs For Yoervis Medina
- Bruce Chen Announces Retirement
- Red Sox Outright Allen Craig
- Marlins Name GM Dan Jennings Manager
Trade Rumors Apps
- Trade Rumors iOS App
- Trade Rumors Android App
- MLBTR Podcast
- 2014-15 MLB Free Agent Tracker
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2015 Arbitration Tracker
- Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2015
- Free Agent Contest Leaderboard
- Reverse Standings
- 2016 MLB Free Agent List
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- Hoops Rumors
- Pro Football Rumors
- Quick Hits: Hamilton, Howard, Otani
- Quick Hits: Harang, Mesoraco, Grandal, Jenkins
- Rosenthal’s Latest: Papelbon, Marlins, Padres, Angels, Twins
- New York Notes: Wright, Lindgren, Drew, Murphy
- Who Will Sign Rafael Soriano?
- NL Notes: Cueto, Lester, Nieuwenhuis
- Padres Claim Eury De La Rosa
- Minor Moves: Mickey Storey, Vin Mazzaro
- AL Notes: Konerko, Happ, Farrell
- Draft Notes: Jay, Kaprielian, Cubs, Bloodlines
- Week In Review: 5/16/15 – 5/22/15
- Orioles Agree To Deal With Ariel Miranda
- East Notes: Syndergaard, Duda, Castillo, Red Sox
- Quick Hits: Reds, Meyer, Ryu, Arruebarrena
- Dodgers Acquire Eric Surkamp From White Sox
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
DeWayne Wise Rumors
Dewayne Wise is one of four players the Marlins signed to minor league deals, according to Matt Eddy of Baseball America (Twitter links). The team also added infielder Joe Thurston, catcher Clint Sammons and corner infielder Jamie D'Antona.
Wise, 33 next month, spent the 2010 campaign with the Blue Jays after two seasons with the White Sox. He hit .250/.282/.393 in 118 plate appearances last year and backed up at all three outfield positions. The eight-year veteran will provide insurance for the Marlins in case Chris Coghlan struggles in center field.
Thurston last appeared in the majors on the 2009 Cardinals. He has a .225/.306/.324 line in 280 big league plate appearances spread over six seasons. The infielder can play second or third base and has some experience in the outfield.
Sammons, 27, picked up some playing time with the Braves from 2007-09. The catcher hit .162/.253/.244 at Triple-A last year, but threw out 36% of would-be base stealers.
D'Antona, back in North America after two seasons in Japan, hit .263 with 36 homers for the Yakult Swallows last year, according to Eddy. The D'Backs selected D'Antona in the second round of the 2003 draft and he made it all the way to the majors in 2008.
Dewayne Wise and Brian Tallet are free agents after refusing outright assignments to Triple-A Las Vegas, the Blue Jays announced. The A's just claimed Edwin Encarnacion off of waivers, so the Blue Jays' once-massive class of arbitration eligible players is now down to 11. Like Encarnacion, Wise and Tallet were non-tender candidates, so it's not surprising to see either player hit the free agent market.
Wise, 32, played all three outfield positions for Cito Gaston's Blue Jays in 2010. He batted .250/.282/.393 in 118 plate appearances.
Tallet is effective against lefties, but he earned $2MM in 2010 and was getting expensive through arbitration. The 33-year-old pitched to a 6.40 ERA wtih 6.2 K/9 and 4.4 BB/9 in 2010. Against left-handed hitters, Tallet posted 8.6 K/9 and 1.8 BB/9, so I listed him as one of five potential bargain lefties last month.
In 145 plate appearances for Triple A Lehigh Valley, Wise posted a slash line of .272/.317/.515. In his big league career, which has spanned parts of seven seasons, he has hit .216/.255/.380. Wise is known for his outstanding defense and has a career UZR/150 of 9.2 in the outfield.
DeWayne Wise is a free agent after opting out of his contract with the Phillies, according to the Allentown Morning Call. Wise, a 32-year-old outfielder best-known for saving Mark Buehrle's 2009 perfect game with a memorable catch, was playing in Triple A. The Phillies signed Wise last fall after he declared free agency.
He was hitting .272/.317/.515 in 145 minor league plate appearances. Wise never made it to the majors with the Phillies, but he has played at the highest level for parts of seven seasons. In total, he has a .216/ .255/.380 line with the White Sox, Reds, Braves and Blue Jays.
David Murphy offers up an insight into the Phillies issues this week, stating that the Phillies will likely be far less active than last year, when they signed Raul Ibanez, set their sights on Chan Ho Park, and extended Jamie Moyer. The Phils have already signed Placido Polanco, Brian Schneider, and Juan Castro this offseason, leaving general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. with fewer needs during his trip to Indianapolis:
- Despite locking up Brad Lidge, Ryan Madson, and J.C. Romero over the past few seasons, the Phillies find themselves in need of relief help. As we all know, Lidge was dreadful in 2009 and is coming off arthroscopic elbow surgery. Romero is coming off surgery as well and could miss a month of the season. Brandon Lyon is the team's primary target.
- Amaro has said adding a bench bat is bottom on his list of priorities, as the spot could be filled by recently-signed minor league free agent Dewayne Wise, or prospect John Mayberry Jr. Still, a move shouldn't be ruled out, according to Murphy.
- In regards to a No. 5 starter, the Phillies haven't ruled out a return for Pedro Martinez, but Murphy feels it is unlikely. While Kyle Kendrick was impressive late in the season last year, an alternative to him and Jamie Moyer wouldn't hurt.
- Murphy is interested to see the outcome of the Rule 5 Draft on Thursday this week, given the Phillies' success there in the past. Perhaps you've heard of Shane Victorino? He turned out to be an OK selection.
According to Matt Eddy and Baseball America's latest edition of minor league transactions, the Phillies have signed utility men DeWayne Wise and Wilson Valdez to minor league contracts.
Wise, 32 in February, declared free agency back in October after hitting .225/.262/.366 in 153 plate appearances for the White Sox this year. Meanwhile, the 31-year-old Valdez hit .256/.326/.337 in 95 plate appearances for the Mets.
Make sure you check out the transactions link for more moves, including shortstop Josh Wilson becoming a free agent.
Outfielder DeWayne Wise has declared free agency rather than accepting an outright assignment to Triple A, according to MLB.com's Scott Merkin (via Twitter).
In addition to the catch that saved Mark Buehrle's perfect game, Wise hit .225/.262/.366 in 153 plate appearances for the White Sox this year. The 31-year-old played mostly center and right field. UZR/150 loved his defense in the limited 371-inning sample. Wise has about four years of service time, so a team signing him for 2010 could retain him in 2011 as an arbitration-eligible player.