Trade Rumors Apps
- White Sox To Sign Adam LaRoche
- Dodgers Acquire Joel Peralta
- Athletics Sign Billy Butler
- White Sox Sign Zach Duke
- Marlins Sign Giancarlo Stanton To 13-Year, $325MM Extension
- Blue Jays Sign Russell Martin
- Braves, Cardinals Trade Jason Heyward For Shelby Miller
- Tigers Exercise Alex Avila's Option
- Diamondbacks Acquire Jeremy Hellickson
- Pirates Sign A.J. Burnett
- Rangers Extend Jon Daniels, Thad Levine
- Jays, Tigers Swap Gose For Travis
- Pirates Acquire Francisco Cervelli For Justin Wilson
- Tigers Re-Sign Victor Martinez
- 2014-15 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions
- Non-Tender Candidates
- Trade Rumors iOS App
- Trade Rumors Android App
- MLBTR Podcast
- 2014-15 MLB Free Agent Tracker
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2014-15 Offseason Outlooks
- 2014-15 Free Agent Profiles
- Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2015
- Free Agent Contest Leaderboard
- Reverse Standings
- 2016 MLB Free Agent List
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- MLBTR Mobile
- MLBTR On Kindle
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- Hoops Rumors
- Pro Football Rumors
- Week In Review: 11/15/14 – 11/21/14
- Wily Mo Pena Becomes Free Agent; Twins Interested
- Braves Release Venters, Designate Pena
- Minor Moves: Satin, Kensing, Romak, Orioles, Billings, Avery
- Red Sox Offer Sandoval Five Years, $95MM; Padres Offer Expected Today
- International Notes: Emery, Moncada, Hernandez, Quiala
- White Sox To Sign Adam LaRoche
- Free Agent Notes: Robertson, Lester, Hunter, Scherzer
- Rays Managerial Finalists Are Wakamatsu, Cash, Ibanez
- Andrew Miller Has Multiple Three-Year Offers
- MLB Trade Rumors Podcast: Episode 7
- NL West Notes: Preller, Montero, D’Backs, Anderson, Giants
- Reds Listening On Jay Bruce; Padres Have Shown Interest
- NL East Links: Lester, Stanton, Niese, Mets
- Braves Shopping Justin Upton; Asking Price Higher Than Heyward
MLBTR Mailing List
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Henry Blanco Rumors
Padres fans have plenty to think about beyond considering the future of Adrian Gonzalez, and Corey Brock of MLB.com does a terrific job breaking down some of those potential moves in his latest mailbag.
- Brock says that he doesn't see Kevin Correia "going anywhere."
- His "GM-for-a-day" scenario involves signing Mike Cameron and Henry Blanco.
- He's a big fan of the minor league third basemen in the organization.
The entire mailbag is worth a read. Do you agree with Brock's prescriptions?
Some links to peruse this morning:
- Joel Sherman at the New York Post asked seven top team executives who they'd rather have manning second base over the next five years: Dustin Pedroia or Robinson Cano? Click over for the results.
- Bill Center at the San Diego Union-Tribune hears that the the Padres are interested in keeping impending free agent backstop Henry Blanco.
- The Rockies' newly-signed lefty phenom Tyler Matzek said a "gut feeling" led him to ink his $3.9MM deal with the team with only 10 minutes left till deadline, forgoing his career at the University of Oregon, according to the Associated Press. My gut says that $3.9MM is kind of a lot of money, but that could be just me.
Ken Rosenthal of FoxSports.com is reporting that the Rangers have contacted several clubs in search of catching help, according to a major league source. Texas lost regular backstop Jarrod Saltalamacchia to the disabled list when he left Friday's game with numbess in his right hand, and Rosenthal hears from a source that he may have a nerve issue.
Henry Blanco of the Padres could be one possibility, but Rosenthal says the "team is considering a number of other alternatives as well."
Padres GM Kevin Towers spoke with Darren Smith of 1090 XX Sports Radio earlier today, touching on a variety of Padre related topics. You can download and listen to the interview by clicking here, but here's a roundup of the rumors…
- Towers said he expects to get calls from contending teams about his "experienced players," mentioning David Eckstein, Brian Giles, Henry Blanco, Kevin Correia, Chad Gaudin, Cla Meredith and Mike Adams by name.
- He also said it's doubtful that the team would take on salary in a deadline deal, but they might be able to during the offseason.
- Depending on how he comes back from injury, there may be interest in Giles. Towers said it's doubtful anything happens before the deadline, but a waiver trade could be made in August. Giles, of course, has a full no-trade clause.
- When asked why he wouldn't trade Adrian Gonzalez or Heath Bell before the deadline to bring back as much talent as possible, Towers said "it's not to say we won't." He then mentions that they first need to determine what young players they're committed to keeping here and what they need to bring in from outside the organization, but if someone approaches them about one of those guys "they need to listen."
MLB.com's Corey Brock tells us, via Twitter, that the Padres have designated right-hander Edwin Moreno for assignment in order to make room on the 40-man roster for catcher Jose Lobaton.
The Padres were forced to create room for another catcher on the roster following injuries to both Nick Hundley and Henry Blanco.
Moreno, 28, was 1-3 for the Pads with a 4.84 ERA. He had notched 15 strikeouts through 22.1 innings to go along with 15 walks, while opposing hitters were batting .311 off of him.
Lobaton, 24, is hitting .248/.301/.360 with three home runs through 37 games at AAA this year.
ESPN.com’s Buster Olney reports that the Padres have agreed to terms on a one-year, $750K deal with catcher Henry Blanco.
The Dodgers’ signing of Brad Ausmus made this an easy decision for the Friars. Blanco, who hit .292 with three homers and 12 RBI for the Cubs last season, will back up Nick Hundley in San Diego.
A few Cubs notes from Bruce Miles of the Daily Herald…
- Randy Wolf "remains a possibility" for the Cubs. Wolf should generate decent interest if he’s willing to sign for one year. He probably expected more after making 33 starts for the second time in his career. A Jake Peavy deal appears unlikely by Opening Day, says Gordon Wittenmyer.
- The Cubs are unlikely to re-sign Henry Blanco, but Paul Bako remains on the radar. So far it’s Koyie Hill for the Cubs’ backup catcher job.
- Out of options: Rich Hill, Felix Pie, and Ronny Cedeno. Hill and Pie are good candidates to be dealt before Opening Day. Angel Guzman is also out of options, but he has a shot at cracking the team’s bullpen.
Miami Herald columnist Barry Jackson writes that the Florida Marlins are discussing free-agent catchers like Michael Barrett, Henry Blanco and Ivan Rodriguez.
Rodriguez would have to accept a salary close to the league minimum for the Marlins to consider him as a serious option, according to Jackson.
7:05pm: Peter Schmuck names a few more catchers on Baltimore’s radar: Henry Blanco and Matt Treanor.
2:15pm: Steve Melewski of MASN Online talked to Dan Evans, who represents free agent pitcher Kenshin Kawakami. Evans said he had a productive meeting with the Orioles and expects to have more. He’s been contacting many clubs to gauge interest in Kawakami.
The Orioles also engaged talks with Evans for Gregg Zaun, who could return to Baltimore as the veteran mentor for Matt Wieters. A few clubs have kicked the tires on Zaun, but he doesn’t have any serious bids yet.
Peter Schmuck of the Baltimore Sun says the Orioles met with Braden Looper‘s agent at the Winter Meetings, but their interest level is not known.