- Dodgers Release Dustin McGowan, Will Pay Mike Adams Roster Bonus
- MLBPA Issues Statement On Bryant, Prospect Promotions
- Pirates Discussing Extension With Gregory Polanco
- Mets Acquire Jerry Blevins
- Kris Bryant To Begin Season In Minors
- Mets Acquire Alex Torres
- Red Sox Acquire Sandy Leon; Christian Vazquez Placed On 60-Day DL
- Rangers Release Ryan Ludwick
- Brewers Release Chris Perez
- Mike Pelfrey Walks Back Trade Comments
Trade Rumors Apps
- Trade Rumors iOS App
- Trade Rumors Android App
- MLBTR Podcast
- 2014-15 MLB Free Agent Tracker
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2015 Arbitration Tracker
- Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2015
- Free Agent Contest Leaderboard
- Reverse Standings
- 2016 MLB Free Agent List
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- Hoops Rumors
- Pro Football Rumors
- Article XX(B) Free Agent Updates: Tuesday
- Giants Designate Gary Brown For Assignment, Add Justin Maxwell To Roster
- AL West Notes: Nix, Astros, Mariners, Rangers
- Braves Outright Zoilo Almonte
- Evan Gattis Settling In With Astros
- Royals Release Rafael Furcal
- MLBTR Chat Transcript
- Brewers Re-Sign Chris Perez
- Dodgers Release Dustin McGowan, Will Pay Mike Adams Roster Bonus
- Released: Bello, Herndon, Accardo, Rodriguez, Rogers
- Mariners Release Chavez, Release And Re-Sign Gutierrez, Saunders
- Offseason In Review: Milwaukee Brewers
- Dodgers Acquire Elliot Johnson From Rangers
- Orioles Acquire Audry Perez From Rockies
- Rays Release Alexi Casilla
MLBTR Mailing List
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Ken Takahashi Rumors
The Mets released lefty reliever Ken Takahashi, according to Ben Shpigel of the New York Times (via Twitter).
Takahashi, 40, signed a minor league free agent contract with the Blue Jays in February. The Mets scooped him up after the Jays released him in March. Takahashi tossed 56.6 Triple A innings, including seven starts. He had a reverse platoon split in his 27.3 big league innings, as lefties knocked him around to the tune of .302/.387/.472.
According to Bart Hubbuch of the New York Post the Mets agreed to terms with Ken Takahashi on a minor league contract. Takahashi was signed by the Blue Jays this offseason before they released him today. The 39-year-old appeared in one exhibition game for the Jays.
Links for Saturday…
- According to Bill Dwyre of the LA Times Garret Anderson has no ill will towards the Angels.
- Steve Kelley of the Seattle Times thinks the Mariners need to sign Ken Griffey Jr. He adds that the Mariners may be "warming to the idea."
- The Kyodo News reports that the Blue Jays have finalized Ken Takahashi‘s contract.
- According to Amalie Benjamin of the Boston Globe, Jason Varitek passed his physical.
- Jay Jaffe, Kevin Goldstein and Christina Kahrl of BP fill in the remaining holes on National League teams.
- Buster Olney of ESPN.com writes that players should "go the extra mile" to please fans in the weakened economy, as they did in 1995 after the strike.
According to Kyodo News, lefty Ken Takahashi signed a minor league deal with the Blue Jays. Takahashi, 40 in April, posted a 3.50 ERA and 5.52 K/9 in 115.6 innings (20 starts) last year in Japan.
Takahashi, 41 in April, posted a 3.50 ERA in 115.6 innings in Japan last year.
Patrick Newman of NPB Tracker is relaying a report from Japanese-based Sports Hochi that states the Cubs are close to inking a one-year deal with left-handed pitcher Ken Takahashi. However, Newman translates quotes from Takahashi that suggest he has not yet chosen a team.
Newman calls it "very early speculation," but it’s definitely a situation worth eying. Sports Hochi believes that Takahashi would be used mostly in middle relief by the Cubs and could be in line for some spot starts. According to the report, the Cubs are looking for emotional support for Japanese outfielder Kosuke Fukudome. Others have drummed up a similar idea in the past.
Some links for the afternoon…
- Nick Piecoro looks at the Brandon Webb situation. The D’Backs ace is eligible for free agency after the 2010 season.
- NPB Tracker says Koji Mitsui may require a Major League deal to come to the States.
- Ted Berg interviewed Patrick Newman of NPB Tracker. Newman takes a look at Koji Uehara, Kenshin Kawakami, Ken Takahashi, and Mitsui. They’ve all been linked to the Mets.
- George A. King III from the NY Post looks at whether or not A.J. Burnett will be able to handle the Yankee spotlight.
- Tim did an interview with Kevin Seefried from 6 Pound 8 Ounce Baby Joba, covering many topics related to the AL East.
- RotoAuthority analyzes some of the most undervalued players in Fantasy Baseball coming into the 2008 season.
Patrick at NPB Tracker has an interesting update on some notable Japanese free agents.
- If the Braves are in fact interested in Kenshin Kawakami, they may have to beat an eventual three-year, $21MM offer from the Red Sox.
- Omar Minaya thinks Koji Uehara projects as a starter, and future negotiations will be based on that projection.
- The Mets are the frontrunners for signing Ken Takahashi.
- The Dodgers would’ve been willing to do a $2.5MM deal plus incentives for Takashi Saito, but he did not accept that.
NBP Tracker has the source links, which are in Japanese. Kudos to Patrick for keeping those of us that can’t read Japanese in the know.
Alex Walsh can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
8:10pm: Piecoro says the D’Backs don’t want to trade Snyder; in fact, they’d like to extend him.
Piecoro notes talks with Eddie Guardado, but they didn’t go far. And Japanese lefty Ken Takahashi is not on Arizona’s radar.
7:20pm: The D’Backs have discussed a contract with Tony Clark for ’09, says Gilbert.
6:20pm: Rosenthal says the D’Backs want to trade the more pricey Snyder to clear a path for Montero. They could then ink a Gregg Zaun type to back him up.
3:30pm: Gilbert says the D’Backs have a one-year offer out to Loretta.
3:18pm: MLB.com’s Steve Gilbert says the D’Backs have not resumed talks with Randy Johnson.
12:12pm: Piecoro says talks between the D’Backs and Mark Loretta have advanced in recent days. They’ve made a "significant overture" according to Loretta’s agent.
- Piecoro dissects the D’Backs’ thought process behind their decision not to offer arbitration to Type A free agent Adam Dunn. He notes that their rumored two-year offer to Dunn was "more of an exploratory offer, nothing formal." They’ll stay in touch with Dunn in case the market is not to his liking.
- Free agent targets: Nick Punto, Arthur Rhodes, and the aforementioned Joe Beimel.
- Punto is one of many candidates for second base. Ramon Vazquez was the top target, but he was two guaranteed years rather than one with an option.
- Piecoro wonders if the D’Backs might now be able to scrape together another $3MM or so for Randy Johnson, given the Dunn draft pick savings and Brandon Lyon’s decision to decline arb.