Trade Rumors Apps
- White Sox To Sign Adam LaRoche
- Dodgers Acquire Joel Peralta
- Athletics Sign Billy Butler
- White Sox Sign Zach Duke
- Marlins Sign Giancarlo Stanton To 13-Year, $325MM Extension
- Blue Jays Sign Russell Martin
- Braves, Cardinals Trade Jason Heyward For Shelby Miller
- Tigers Exercise Alex Avila's Option
- Diamondbacks Acquire Jeremy Hellickson
- Pirates Sign A.J. Burnett
- Rangers Extend Jon Daniels, Thad Levine
- Jays, Tigers Swap Gose For Travis
- Pirates Acquire Francisco Cervelli For Justin Wilson
- Tigers Re-Sign Victor Martinez
- 2014-15 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions
- Non-Tender Candidates
- Trade Rumors iOS App
- Trade Rumors Android App
- MLBTR Podcast
- 2014-15 MLB Free Agent Tracker
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2014-15 Offseason Outlooks
- 2014-15 Free Agent Profiles
- Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2015
- Free Agent Contest Leaderboard
- Reverse Standings
- 2016 MLB Free Agent List
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- MLBTR Mobile
- MLBTR On Kindle
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- Hoops Rumors
- Pro Football Rumors
- A’s Acquire Ike Davis, Designate Andrew Brown
- Indians Notes: Swisher, Bourn, Masterson, Hamels
- Rangers Notes: Upton, Andrus, Gallo, Alfaro
- Latest On Hyeon-jong Yang
- West Notes: Robertson, Astros, Sandoval, Kennedy
- Cafardo On Fowler, Astros, Hammel, Miley
- Indians Designate Scott Barnes For Assignment
- Baseball Blogs Weigh In: D’Backs, Upton, Angels
- Indians Acquire Charles Brewer
- Quick Hits: Twins, Albers, Bavasi, Scherzer
- Dodgers Acquire Mike Bolsinger, Designate Jarret Martin
- AL East Notes: Yankees Roster, Joyce, Rays Managerial Finalists
- Minor Moves: Lannan, Cisnero, Savery, Laffey, Britton, Triunfel
- Pablo Sandoval Rumors: Saturday
- Orioles To Sign Rey Navarro To Major League Deal
MLBTR Mailing List
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Roger Kieschnick Rumors
Here are today’s minor transactions, with the newest moves at the top of the post…
- The Cubs claimed right-hander Donn Roach off waivers from the Padres, according to a Cubs press release. Roach was designated for assignment by San Diego last week. Roach, an Angels third-round pick in the 2010 draft, joined the Padres as part of the Ernesto Frieri trade in May 2012. He made his Major League debut in 2014, posting a 4.75 ERA in 30 1/3 IP for San Diego.
- Outfielder Roger Kieschnick has cleared waivers and was outrighted to the Angels‘ Triple-A affiliate, Jeff Fletcher of the Orange County Register reports. Kieschnick was claimed off waivers from the D’Backs last month and was DFA’ed by the Angels earlier this week.
- The Royals have signed veteran infielder Ryan Roberts and left-hander Joe Paterson to minor league contracts, the team announced (via Twitter). Both deals contain Spring Training invites. Roberts signed a minor league deal with the Red Sox in April and appeared in eight games for the club, though he spent most of his season at Triple-A Pawtucket. Paterson pitched 34 innings out of the Diamondbacks bullpen in 2011 but only 6 1/3 Major League innings since. The southpaw has posted strong numbers in the minors over his career, notching a 2.75 ERA, 2.75 K/BB rate and 358 strikeouts over 356 1/3 innings, all in Arizona’s farm system.
The Angels have signed righty Jeremy McBryde to a major league deal, the club announced on Twitter. He will make the MLB minimum salary, according to Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com (via Twitter). In a corresponding move, outfielder Roger Kieschnick has been designated for assignment.
McBryde, 27, has yet to crack the big leagues after eight years of minor league action. He spent his first seven campaigns with the Padres before joining the Athletics last year, advancing to Triple-A for the first time. He was impressive at that level, tossing 65 innings of 2.22 ERA ball and posting 9.1 K/9 against 3.6 BB/9. As Angels director of communications Eric Kay points out on Twitter, McBryde was largely unhittable for right-handed batters last year, striking out 46 and walking just three of the 135 he faced.
Kieschnick, meanwhile, is a 27-year-old who slashed .260/.317/.461 last year at Triple-A for the Diamondbacks and owns a career .847 OPS at that level. The left-handed-swinging Kieschnick has 136 plate appearances over the last two years in the big leagues, but did not do much in that limited sample. The Halos claimed him exactly one month ago, but apparently found a better use for his 40-man spot in McBryde.
The Angels have claimed outfielders Alfredo Marte and Roger Kieschnick off waivers from the Diamondbacks, the club announced. In a corresponding move, the team has designated catcher John Buck and outfielder Brennan Boesch for assignment.
Marte and Kieschnick have each seen fairly minimal time at the MLB level over the last two years, and neither has been productive in those short samples. But the 25-year-old Marte is fresh off of a .319/.407/.519 campaign at the Triple-A level, his best line as a professional. And while Kieschnick, 27, was less impressive in his first season in the D’backs organization (.260/.317/.461), he put up two productive Triple-A campaigns in the Giants system in the years prior.
Meanwhile, Buck was slated to become a free agent after the season. He signed on with the Halos after losing his backup job with the Mariners, with whom he signed a one-year, $1MM deal before the season. On the year, Buck slashed a meager .225/.289/.281 in his 97 big league plate appearances. Boesch, who could have been controlled through arbitration, will also get a slight head start on free agency. After joining the Angels on a minor league deal, Boesch struggled in 79 plate appearances with the big club but did tune up the PCL with a .332/.381/.636 slash over 407 plate appearances.
The Diamondbacks have claimed outfielder Roger Kieschnick off waivers from the Giants, Andrew Baggarly of CSN Bay Area reports (via Twitter). The Diamondbacks have since officially announced the move via press release, adding that they've optioned Kieschnick to Triple-A Reno and placed Patrick Corbin on the 60-day disabled list to create a spot on the 40-man roster.
Kieschnick, who was designated for assignment at the end of Spring Training, going just 5-for-29 without an extra base hit in 34 plate appearances. He did draw five walks, but he also whiffed 13 times. Kieschnick, 27, hit .202/.295/.226 in 95 plate appearances after making his Major League debut last season.
Baseball America ranked Kieschnick 29th among Giants prospects this offseason, praising his strong arm in right field. However, BA notes that he's never produced the power the Giants and others expected him to after being selected in the third-round of the 2008 draft. He's ranked among San Francisco's Top 30 prospects in each of the past six seasons, per BA, twice cracking the Top 10. A career .275/.331/.485 hitter (with even better numbers at Triple-A), BA notes that Kieschnick has been slowed by a recurring back injury and a stress fracture in his shoulder suffered after crashing into an outfield wall.
The 27-year-old didn't distinguish himself in 34 plate appearances this spring, hitting just .172/.294/.172, and hasn't managed to hit well in limited MLB action up to this point. He's been more of a force in the minors, however, with a .273/.339/.497 line in Triple-A last season.