Jon Heyman of SI.com has been working the phone lines; here are some notable rumors from his latest column.
- The Braves seemed fairly close to a Mark Teixeira trade yesterday, but the Angels are definitely knee deep in it. They’ll make a solid offer including Casey Kotchman, Ervin Santana, and Major League player. Adam Dunn remains Plan B.
- Heyman says there’s speculation that Akinori Otsuka could need Tommy John surgery, which might compel the Rangers to sign Eric Gagne and/or keep Joaquin Benoit.
- Refresher on Gagne’s 12-team allowable list can be found here. Gagne must consent to a trade to Detroit, and it seems the Rangers asked for Cameron Maybin. Not gonna happen. The Yankees appear to be out on Gagne because he wants to close. I’m skeptical – he wouldn’t pitch as a setup man if they guaranteed his entire contract?
- Seems the Yanks entertained a Morgan Ensberg acquisition. They would’ve used him at first base. Joe Torre nixed the idea because Ensberg hasn’t hit for a long time.
- Heyman’s top five available starters are Matt Morris, Livan Hernandez, Jose Contreras, Jason Jennings, and Kyle Lohse, in that order. That ranking is reasonable. A Jon Garland, Noah Lowry, or Joe Blanton would easily jump to that top of the list if made available.